Our Kennedy.

One that confounds good and evil is an enemy to good.
Edmund Burke

Citizen Energy is a "boondoggle" for poor and elderly citizens. The more you speak the more ignorant you become. Slander the Kennedys.

The head of a typical public company made $9.6 million in 2011, according to an analysis by The Associated Press using data from Equilar, an executive pay research firm.

As of 2010, Kennedy's CEO salary was $596,988 per year.

Citizen's Energy is a boondoggle for the Kennedy clan...not the poor or the elderly! The Kennedy's say nice things about Hugo Chavez and he gives them oil at a cut rate price. Running Citizen's Energy is something that is passed around the Kennedy clan like it's a trust fund. Couldn't get elected to public office because you're embroiled in a sex scandal? No problem! If you're a Kennedy you can work at Citizen's and make a six figure salary and never break a sweat. It's not like you're going to get fired if you take a month off to ski in Aspen or hang out in Palm Springs! You've got the ultimate prize...a no show job for big bucks. Executives in a typical public company put in long hours because if they don't they'll be replaced. Kennedy's don't get fired from Citizen's Energy because they ARE Citizen's Energy. Joe Kennedy pulls down that $600,000 a year salary and has plenty of time to enjoy the finer things in life because he doesn't really do anything at Citizen's.
The head of a typical public company works long hours for their money and if they aren't successful they are let go. Being the head of Citizen's Energy means that you work pretty much when you feel like it and the job is yours until you want to pursue something else.

You are making this shit up. You don't work at Citizen's Energy, so you are relying on your hatred and slander of the Kennedy's to fuel your ignorant rants.

Are you SAYING Citizens Energy doesn't help hundreds of thousands of poor and elderly citizens?

I'm FROM Massachusetts hence I'm very familiar with Citizen's Energy AND the Kennedy's. You obviously don't know shit about Citizen's Energy because if you DID then you'd know that the Kennedy's have been using that non-profit as a means to create profit for themselves for decades now.

Yes, Citizen's Energy helps thousands of poor and elderly citizens in Massachusetts. It also has helped dozens of Kennedy's maintain a lifestyle that those poor and elderly could only dream about.

As for my "slandering" the Kennedy's? I don't think you have any concept about how arrogant, entitled, and obnoxious the Kennedy clan has been over the years. They believe that the "rules" of society apply to others simply because THEY are Kennedy's. As I related before...when I worked as a property manager in Aspen I was told that under no circumstances should I rent to anyone in the Kennedy family! That was because they had history of trashing where ever they stayed and then refusing to pay for damages. That isn't "slander"...that's a fact!

Citizen's Energy is a boondoggle for the Kennedy clan...not the poor or the elderly! The Kennedy's say nice things about Hugo Chavez and he gives them oil at a cut rate price. Running Citizen's Energy is something that is passed around the Kennedy clan like it's a trust fund. Couldn't get elected to public office because you're embroiled in a sex scandal? No problem! If you're a Kennedy you can work at Citizen's and make a six figure salary and never break a sweat. It's not like you're going to get fired if you take a month off to ski in Aspen or hang out in Palm Springs! You've got the ultimate prize...a no show job for big bucks. Executives in a typical public company put in long hours because if they don't they'll be replaced. Kennedy's don't get fired from Citizen's Energy because they ARE Citizen's Energy. Joe Kennedy pulls down that $600,000 a year salary and has plenty of time to enjoy the finer things in life because he doesn't really do anything at Citizen's.
The head of a typical public company works long hours for their money and if they aren't successful they are let go. Being the head of Citizen's Energy means that you work pretty much when you feel like it and the job is yours until you want to pursue something else.

You are making this shit up. You don't work at Citizen's Energy, so you are relying on your hatred and slander of the Kennedy's to fuel your ignorant rants.

Are you SAYING Citizens Energy doesn't help hundreds of thousands of poor and elderly citizens?

I'm FROM Massachusetts hence I'm very familiar with Citizen's Energy AND the Kennedy's. You obviously don't know shit about Citizen's Energy because if you DID then you'd know that the Kennedy's have been using that non-profit as a means to create profit for themselves for decades now.

Yes, Citizen's Energy helps thousands of poor and elderly citizens in Massachusetts. It also has helped dozens of Kennedy's maintain a lifestyle that those poor and elderly could only dream about.

As for my "slandering" the Kennedy's? I don't think you have any concept about how arrogant, entitled, and obnoxious the Kennedy clan has been over the years. They believe that the "rules" of society apply to others simply because THEY are Kennedy's. As I related before...when I worked as a property manager in Aspen I was told that under no circumstances should I rent to anyone in the Kennedy family! That was because they had history of trashing where ever they stayed and then refusing to pay for damages. That isn't "slander"...that's a fact!

"Living a life of leisure is the hardest work of all"
John F. Kennedy

Being from Massachusetts means shit. You don't know the Kennedy family. The Kennedys have done more for the common man, the poor, the disabled and the disenfranchised than ALL the Republicans in this country combined.

It just eats away at you that no matter how much you lie and slander the Kennedys, they still are loved by millions of intelligent citizens who KNOW all the good the Kennedys have done for America.

Citizens Energy helps people, something you right wing turds despise. And not just heating their homes. They help people with their electric bills, weatherizing homes and factories. They are active in the health care needs of people.

Health Care

Citizens Medical

Citizens Medical began working with the pharmaceutical industry in 1985, coordinating the donation of relief supplies to Ethiopia during a widespread famine. Soon after, Citizens Medical established a joint venture with Medco Containment Services Inc., the world’s largest mail order pharmacy and leader in cost-containment programs for prescription drugs.

Citizens Medical negotiated price discounts for large employee and union groups, including Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Massachusetts, NYNEX, and the National Association of Letter Carriers, with manufacturers and pharmacies. The company offered integrated mail service, prescription card and drug reimbursement programs, and tailored each prescription benefit plan to meet its client’s budget. Citizens Medical also offered professional services that focused on the customer’s direct needs, including a 24-hour toll free number for participants, specially trained customer service pharmacists to answer questions regarding medications, drug education materials to help familiarize patients with their medications, and various counseling programs to support the elderly.

Citizens Medical’s customers received an average savings of over 40% on drug delivery. In its second year Citizens Medical reached a 20% increase in the company’s market size from the previous year, with 1.2 million people eligible for its service.

By 1988 Citizens-Medco became the largest broker of mail service prescriptions in the United States, with annual sales of $90 million. In 1993, Medco was taken over by Merck Co., a pharmaceutical manufacturer, and since 1999, Citizens Energy has continued to help market Merck-Medco’s prescription services.

The Citizens Medical model paved the way for a new industry of pharmacy benefit managers to negotiate discounts for buying groups from drug manufacturers and pharmacies.

Citizens Health

In 2001, Citizens Health was launched as a discount pharmaceutical program for the uninsured. The company negotiated with drug companies and pharmacies to give its customers the same discounts received by families with insurance. Benefits included discounts for medications purchased at over 1,000 pharmacies or by mail order.
Citizens Health subsequently began to provide discounts on not only prescription drugs, but on a wide array of such medical services as vision, dental, hospital and doctor visits. The principle remained constant - to provide uninsured senior citizens and working families with the same level of discounts available to those with insurance.

The expansion of Medicare drug coverage to senior citizens and the broadening of access to health insurance through state and federal programs resulted in Citizens Health winding down operations after close to 10 years of providing the uninsured with more affordable health care.

"arrogant, entitled, and obnoxious"?

That's not what the Secret Service agents who guarded President Kennedy had to say about the man. That would better describe Eisenhower and Johnson.

Agent Ron Pontius: "You had Eisenhower, you know, and he was a general. And we were the troops...but here's Kennedy, and he knows everybody's name...."

Agent Paul Landis: “I remember him walking across from his office past the Rose Garden and I opened the door for him and he just kind of nodded and said “thank you”.
The next time I saw him walk by he said “Mr Landis, how are you?” And I was very impressed that he had taken the trouble to learn my name or ask who I was.”

Agent David Grant: “He was gracious, he was kind. He was what you might call a man’s man.”

Agent David Grant, who moved on to the Johnson detail : " I lost in President Kennedy really a wonderful human being and a guy who knew my name."

The agents were treated like part of the family. And the Kennedy children were instructed to listen to the agents as if the orders came from their mother or father.

The Kennedy Detail: Memories of the President : Video : Discovery Channel

That's not what the Secret Service agents who guarded President Kennedy had to say about the man. That would better describe Eisenhower and Johnson.

Agent Ron Pontius: "You had Eisenhower, you know, and he was a general. And we were the troops...but here's Kennedy, and he knows everybody's name...."

Agent Paul Landis: “I remember him walking across from his office past the Rose Garden and I opened the door for him and he just kind of nodded and said “thank you”.
The next time I saw him walk by he said “Mr Landis, how are you?” And I was very impressed that he had taken the trouble to learn my name or ask who I was.”

Agent David Grant: “He was gracious, he was kind. He was what you might call a man’s man.”

Agent David Grant, who moved on to the Johnson detail : " I lost in President Kennedy really a wonderful human being and a guy who knew my name."

The agents were treated like part of the family. And the Kennedy children were instructed to listen to the agents as if the orders came from their mother or father.

Oh, I'm quite sure that JFK treated his Secret Service detail well...they would be the guys who knew about his serial philandering and kept it quiet. A "man's man"? That would be the case I guess if your definition of what a "man" is...is someone with two young children who cheats on his wife repeatedly.

That's the "Kennedy way" though...Joe Senior cheated on his wife...JFK cheated on his wife...Bobby cheated on his wife...Teddy cheated on his wife. The classic story that shows just how wonderful the brothers were is JFK telling his younger brother at Teddy's wedding that just because you're getting married doesn't mean you can't screw around and having it caught on a tape recording someone was doing for the nuptials.

That's not even getting into the murders and rapes committed by these "wonderful human beings" from the Kennedy clan. Not to mention the drug and alcohol addictions that seem to be imbedded in their DNA these days.

You accuse me of not knowing the Kennedy's? I've got news for you...YOU'RE that guy that's clueless about who the Kennedy's really are!

Oh, I'm quite sure that JFK treated his Secret Service detail well...they would be the guys who knew about his serial philandering and kept it quiet. A "man's man"? That would be the case I guess if your definition of what a "man" is...is someone with two young children who cheats on his wife repeatedly.

That's the "Kennedy way" though...Joe Senior cheated on his wife...JFK cheated on his wife...Bobby cheated on his wife...Teddy cheated on his wife. The classic story that shows just how wonderful the brothers were is JFK telling his younger brother at Teddy's wedding that just because you're getting married doesn't mean you can't screw around and having it caught on a tape recording someone was doing for the nuptials.

That's not even getting into the murders and rapes committed by these "wonderful human beings" from the Kennedy clan. Not to mention the drug and alcohol addictions that seem to be imbedded in their DNA these days.

You accuse me of not knowing the Kennedy's? I've got news for you...YOU'RE that guy that's clueless about who the Kennedy's really are!

Kennedy was a womanizer. He liked to screw women, but he never screwed 185 million Americans like Nixon, or other despots like Bush who held that office. And his PERSONAL affairs were Jackie's problem, not YOURS or mine. I am not clueless about who the Kennedy's really are.

But all you are really telling me is who and what YOU really are. Your accusations about Citizens Energy reveals that you are a very cynical right wing hypocrite. YOU don't know how hard Joe Kennedy works or how hard any other CEO works. And you are trying to make it look like the Kennedy's are doing something wrong helping people and running a business. The same right wingers who will defend any CEO who causes harm to people. You are toxic inside.

"Nixon was the most dishonest individual I have ever met in my life. He lied to his wife, his family, his friends, his colleagues in the Congress, lifetime members of his own political party, the American people and the world."
Barry Goldwater

Kennedy was a womanizer. He liked to screw women, but he never screwed 185 million Americans like Nixon, or other despots like Bush who held that office. And his PERSONAL affairs were Jackie's problem, not YOURS or mine. I am not clueless about who the Kennedy's really are.

But all you are really telling me is who and what YOU really are. Your accusations about Citizens Energy reveals that you are a very cynical right wing hypocrite. YOU don't know how hard Joe Kennedy works or how hard any other CEO works. And you are trying to make it look like the Kennedy's are doing something wrong helping people and running a business. The same right wingers who will defend any CEO who causes harm to people. You are toxic inside.

"Nixon was the most dishonest individual I have ever met in my life. He lied to his wife, his family, his friends, his colleagues in the Congress, lifetime members of his own political party, the American people and the world."
Barry Goldwater

How exactly does my pointing out the reality of the Kennedy family make me "toxic inside"? Joe Kennedy Senior was about as sleazy an individual that ever lived. He supported Joe McCarthy for God's sake! Did you know he had his son Bobby working for McCarthy investigating communists? Or that he gave his eldest daughter a lobotomy and then locked her up in an institution because he saw her as a potential embarrassment to his political aspirations for his sons? Or that he was a raging bigot...hating blacks and Jews? Joe Kennedy LOVED Hitler! Thought the guy was doing wonderful things in Germany.

Yes, Nixon was a paranoid, secretive man obsessed with people plotting against him politically. Gee, I wonder why he would think that others would use political dirty tricks against him? Oh, that's right...he went through the 1960 Presidential election! What happened in Cook County that year would tend to make ANYONE a bit paranoid.

Barry Goldwater

How exactly does my pointing out the reality of the Kennedy family make me "toxic inside"? Joe Kennedy Senior was about as sleazy an individual that ever lived. He supported Joe McCarthy for God's sake! Did you know he had his son Bobby working for McCarthy investigating communists? Or that he gave his eldest daughter a lobotomy and then locked her up in an institution because he saw her as a potential embarrassment to his political aspirations for his sons? Or that he was a raging bigot...hating blacks and Jews? Joe Kennedy LOVED Hitler! Thought the guy was doing wonderful things in Germany.

Yes, Nixon was a paranoid, secretive man obsessed with people plotting against him politically. Gee, I wonder why he would think that others would use political dirty tricks against him? Oh, that's right...he went through the 1960 Presidential election! What happened in Cook County that year would tend to make ANYONE a bit paranoid.

Again you are making shit up and irresponsibly slandering the Kennedys. Joe Kennedy didn't love Hitler. He sided with Chamberlain and had an isolationist view. He wanted to keep America out of a war. He had three sons who would be expected to fight.

Rosemary was NEVER, EVER hidden from view. She accompanied her family to England when Joe Sr. was appointed Ambassador to England. She was always part of family functions. Her sister Eunice always picked her as her partner when the family would have competitions like sailing.

tumblr_l68ujqQEQx1qzep2bo1_500.jpg

Eunice and Rosemary arriving in England during their fathers Ambassadorship in the 1930’s.

You really are CLUELESS when it comes to the Kennedy family! Joe Kennedy was ambassador to the Court of St. James until 1940. Rosemary had her lobotomy in 1941 when she was 23 years old. The picture of Rosemary that you've provided (which shows a mildly retarded but happy and functioning young woman) was taken in 1938 BEFORE Joe Kennedy had her brain scrambled. Before that took place Rosemary was indeed always a part of family functions. After the lobotomy Rosemary was hidden away in an institution in Wisconsin. Her father NEVER visited her there and her mother didn't see her for TWENTY YEARS!

You really don't grasp what total "shit heels" this family has been for the better part of eighty years...do you? It's one thing to be a bit ignorant about a subject, Bfgrn but you go way beyond that.

"The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic." --JFK, June 11, 1962

Last edited:
You really are CLUELESS when it comes to the Kennedy family! Joe Kennedy was ambassador to the Court of St. James until 1940. Rosemary had her lobotomy in 1941 when she was 23 years old. The picture of Rosemary that you've provided (which shows a mildly retarded but happy and functioning young woman) was taken in 1938 BEFORE Joe Kennedy had her brain scrambled. Before that took place Rosemary was indeed always a part of family functions. After the lobotomy Rosemary was hidden away in an institution in Wisconsin. Her father NEVER visited her there and her mother didn't see her for TWENTY YEARS!

You really don't grasp what total "shit heels" this family has been for the better part of eighty years...do you? It's one thing to be a bit ignorant about a subject, Bfgrn but you go way beyond that.

"The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic." --JFK, June 11, 1962

You don't really grasp all the good this family has done for America, or the sacrifice, you can only slander. Just like your slander of Citizens Energy that has helped millions of Americans. And I'm sure you would slander Ted Kennedy who did more for every American than all the Senators in Washington combined.

I am sure if Joe Kennedy knew how that medical procedure was going to turn out, he would have never had it done.

The Kennedys are human, with all the human foibles that come with being human. But their public life is beyond reproach. Every family member is involved in public service.

The positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

Rosemary Kennedy was not forgotten, she was the inspiration behind Special Olympics. Eunice Kennedy Shriver was one of the most important and influential Americans of the 20th century. She did more to change our understanding, acceptance and assimilation of handicapped people into our society than any other person. And the Kennedy family has been involved in helping and defending the handicapped who are truly our most vulnerable and least represented citizens in any society.

“When the full judgment of the Kennedy legacy is made — including J.F.K.’s Peace Corps and Alliance for Progress, Robert Kennedy’s passion for civil rights and Ted Kennedy’s efforts on health care, workplace reform and refugees — the changes wrought by Eunice Shriver may well be seen as the most consequential,” U.S. News & World Report said in its cover story of Nov. 15, 1993.

You are toxic inside. It is who and what conservatism has metastasized into. You people can only tear down, never build.

Liberals believe people are basically good, conservatives believe people are basically evil.
Liberals believe in raising people up, conservatives believe in pushing people down.
Liberals believe in encouragement, conservatives believe in scorn.
Liberals always stand up for the little guy, conservatives always stand up for the big guy.

The Kennedys are liberals. I would much rather live in a country that lives up to their vision of America than the right wing authoritarians who infest our nation today.

Eunice Kennedy Shriver 1921-2009 | The Saturday Evening Post

You don't really grasp all the good this family has done for America, or the sacrifice, you can only slander. Just like your slander of Citizens Energy that has helped millions of Americans. And I'm sure you would slander Ted Kennedy who did more for every American than all the Senators in Washington combined.

I am sure if Joe Kennedy knew how that medical procedure was going to turn out, he would have never had it done.

The Kennedys are human, with all the human foibles that come with being human. But their public life is beyond reproach. Every family member is involved in public service.

Rosemary Kennedy was not forgotten, she was the inspiration behind Special Olympics. Eunice Kennedy Shriver was one of the most important and influential Americans of the 20th century. She did more to change our understanding, acceptance and assimilation of handicapped people into our society than any other person. And the Kennedy family has been involved in helping and defending the handicapped who are truly our most vulnerable and least represented citizens in any society.

“When the full judgment of the Kennedy legacy is made — including J.F.K.’s Peace Corps and Alliance for Progress, Robert Kennedy’s passion for civil rights and Ted Kennedy’s efforts on health care, workplace reform and refugees — the changes wrought by Eunice Shriver may well be seen as the most consequential,” U.S. News & World Report said in its cover story of Nov. 15, 1993.

You are toxic inside. It is who and what conservatism has metastasized into. You people can only tear down, never build.

Liberals believe people are basically good, conservatives believe people are basically evil.
Liberals believe in raising people up, conservatives believe in pushing people down.
Liberals always stand up for the little guy, conservatives always stand up for the big guy.

The Kennedys are liberals. I would much rather live in a country that lives up to their vision of America than the right wing authoritarians who infest our nation today.

Liberals believe people are basically helpless, conservatives believe people are at their best when they are helping themselves...something which they ARE capable of!

Liberals believe that if you pull down the successful that it will raise up those below them, conservatives believe that success is a good thing, not a character defect and should be lauded not condemned.

Liberals don't believe in competition, nor do they grasp the concept of natural selection, conservatives understand that life is a competition and that treating losers the same as winners harms both winners and losers.

Liberals say they stand for the little guy but they are constantly telling the little guy what THEY think is right for him, conservatives think the little guy is intelligent enough to make his own decisions and doesn't need the help of a government that is completely dysfunctional.

The Special Olympics ARE a wonderful thing and Eunice Kennedy should be commended for her efforts to help the mentally handicapped. Too bad her family didn't treat their own handicapped child in the same manner.

Show me some pictures of Rosemary Kennedy playing with her family AFTER the lobotomy, Bfgrn! You contended that she wasn't hidden away...correct? Then there should be oodles of pictures of her with the rest of the clan...right?

And the real "toxic" group are the Kennedy's themselves. They turned public service into a for profit franchise and non-profit status into a feeding trough for themselves.

Liberals believe people are basically helpless, conservatives believe people are at their best when they are helping themselves...something which they ARE capable of!

Liberals believe that if you pull down the successful that it will raise up those below them, conservatives believe that success is a good thing, not a character defect and should be lauded not condemned.

Liberals don't believe in competition, nor do they grasp the concept of natural selection, conservatives understand that life is a competition and that treating losers the same as winners harms both winners and losers.

Liberals say they stand for the little guy but they are constantly telling the little guy what THEY think is right for him, conservatives think the little guy is intelligent enough to make his own decisions and doesn't need the help of a government that is completely dysfunctional.

The Special Olympics ARE a wonderful thing and Eunice Kennedy should be commended for her efforts to help the mentally handicapped. Too bad her family didn't treat their own handicapped child in the same manner.

Show me some pictures of Rosemary Kennedy playing with her family AFTER the lobotomy, Bfgrn! You contended that she wasn't hidden away...correct? Then there should be oodles of pictures of her with the rest of the clan...right?

Standard right wing ignorant bluster. Liberals don't believe people are helpless, they are aware there are people who do need help. Especially the most vulnerable among us; children, the elderly and the disabled. Conservatives idea of swimming lessons it to throw everyone in the river, and the ones that crawl up on shore pass.

Funny, you have nothing but contempt for any success the Kennedy family achieved. Why is that?

Liberals believe in competition, conservatives believe in punishment. The current ilk of people who call themselves conservative is infested with cretins who are social Darwinists.

Survival of the richest, and let them feed on the poor and middle class with no rules for your beloved opulent CEO's.

Conservatism always has been, and always will be the domination of society by an aristocracy. It is what conservatism always strives for and always tries to build. A caste system. It is crucial to conservatism that the people must literally love the order that dominates them.

Conservatives think the little guy is intelligent enough to make his own decisions, as long as he pees in a cup and conforms to right wing dogma.

Eunice Kennedy Shriver: My sister Rosemary

Here, we reprint the powerful 1962 article in which Eunice Kennedy Shriver talks about the tragic life of her sister Rosemary

Forty-three years ago this month in Brookline, Massachusetts, my mother and father were looking forward with great anticipation and joy to the birth of their third child. My oldest brother, Joe, was four years old, bright, strong, aggressive, with dark eyes, a fine smile. Jack, quick, slender, independent – even at three he was interested in everything and adored by everyone. My father was 30 and my mother was 28. They loved children and would be happy to have all that God would send them.

Rosemary was born September 13 at home – a normal delivery. She was a beautiful child, resembling my mother in physical appearance. But early in life Rosemary was different. She was slower to crawl, slower to walk and speak than her two bright brothers. My mother was told she would catch up later, but she never did.

Rosemary was mentally retarded.

For a long time my family believed that all of us working together could provide my sister with a happy life in our midst. My parents, strong believers in family loyalty, rejected suggestions that Rosemary be sent away to an institution. "What can they do for her that her family can't do better?" my father would say. "We will keep her at home." And we did. For years these efforts seemed to work. My parents and the other eight children tried to include Rose in everything we did. In Hyannis Port I would take her as a crew in our boat races, and I remember that she usually could do what she was told. She was especially helpful with the jib and she loved to be in the winning boat. Winning at anything always brought a marvellous smile to her face.

She loved music, and my mother used to play the piano and sing to her. At the dining table Rose was unable to cut her meat, so it was served to her already cut.

Later on, in her teens, it was more difficult for her. In social competition she couldn't keep up. She learned to dance well enough for my brothers to take her along to parties, but it wasn't easy when Rose would say: "Why don't other boys ask me to dance?"

Yes, keeping a retarded child at home is difficult. Mother always said that the greatest problem was to get other children to play with Rose and to find time to give her all the attention she needed and deserved. Like many retarded persons, Rose loved small children and wanted to be helpful with them. Often I heard her offer her assistance to Mother with a question like, "Can I take the young children rowing, Mother?"

She loved compliments. Every time I would say "Rose, you have the best teeth and smile in the family," she would smile for hours. She liked to dress up, wear pretty clothes, have her hair fixed and her fingernails polished. When she was asked out by a friend of the family, she would be thrilled. When my father became ambassador to England, Rose came to London with us and was presented to the king and queen at Buckingham Place with mother, dad and my sister Kathleen.

Mother was worried about Rosemary in London. Would she accidentally do something dangerous when mother was occupied with some unavoidable official function? Would she get confused taking a bus and get lost among London's intricate streets? Would someone attack her? No one could watch out for Rose all the time, and she was now a grown-up girl.

In 1941, when we returned to the US, Rosemary was not making progress but seemed instead to be going backward. At 22, she was becoming increasingly irritable and difficult. Her memory and concentration and her judgment were declining. My mother took Rosemary to psychologists and dozens of doctors. All of them said her condition would not get better and that she would be far happier in an institution, where competition was far less and where our numerous activities would not endanger her health. It fills me with sadness to think this change might not have been necessary if we had known then what we know today – that 75 to 85% of the retarded are capable of becoming useful citizens with the help of special education and rehabilitation. Another 10 to 20% can learn to make small contributions, not involving book learning, such as mowing a lawn or washing dishes. Only 5% – the most severely retarded cases – must remain completely dependent all their lives.

This was Eunice's eulogy for her sister Rose in 2005...

Eulogy for Rosemary Kennedy
by
Eunice Kennedy Shriver
January 10, 2005

Fr. Frederici

Fr. MacMillan

Thank you all for coming today to pray for and with my sister Rosemary. I loved her so and will miss her forever.

When we were young, Rosemary and I were often together. As you may know, we were a competitive family (pause) so in races and games, Rosie and I were sometimes teammates. Most often, she was my crew in sailing races. Even in competition, she seemed always to have a smile.

I will admit now that I sometimes yelled at Rosie on the water. Many times, when we were headed for the mark, she would let the jib go and turn to me with a smile. “Get the jib Rosemary!” “Rosemary, look the jib is flapping. Pull it in!” “For God’s sake Rosemary, pull in the BLASTED JIB!!” Usually, Rosie would then pull in the jib. Despite my tone, she would never lose her somewhat distant but happy smile.

Mother always appreciated that Rosie and I would race together. “Well done, dear,” she would often say. After one race, Dad asked how I did with Rosie. “We came in 3rd Dad.” “For God’s sake,” he thundered, “Can’t you do better than that?” Off I went, never quite sure how to win, but always sure that Rosie’s smile somehow had a value of its own.

In the years that followed, Rosie and I went to Europe together. We roomed together and had laughs together. We were sisters—she would gain too much weight, and I would lose too much weight; she would write sweet letters to get Dad’s attention, and I would try to get my brothers’ attention; she would love to relax and eat big meals, and I would love to be overly active and race around outdoors. We had many wonderful days.

After Rosemary moved to Wisconsin, Mother and Dad and all of my brothers and sisters wondered how we could support her, but what we didn’t realize is that she would begin a lifetime of supporting us. We talked about Joe JR’s Foundation and agreed to focus it on special schools and special homes. Pat and Jean and Ethel held big fundraisers in L.A. and New York and Washington. Jack launched the great federal efforts—NICHD, The President’s Council on Mental Retardation, The University Affiliated Centers. Bobby worked to close Willowbrook. Teddy has spent 40 years changing the laws of the land. Libraries, Schools, Clinics, and treatments were created. Very Special Arts was born under Jean. Special Olympics was born. We all tried to honor her, to support her, to do what we could.

But the truth of these last 86 years reveals something much different: Rosemary has given us all so much more than we ever gave her. Over those years, Rosie visited my family at Timberlawn and always was the last one out of the pool, showing all the children the remarkable strength of her body. She was always the first to dinner showing us her constant readiness to join together in family fun. She was always at mass, patient and attentive; she always had her rosary and her faith. She worked so hard on her pronunciation, her words. She learned the names of her grand nieces and nephews. When she spoke, she spoke almost always of mother. In short, she was patient and kind; she never judged and always forgave; she never put on airs, loved to look pretty, savored chocolate and made everyone happy. She taught us all that adversity meant nothing—that it could always be fun to be together no matter what.

In Times to Remember, mother wrote, “My faith and my church had great importance for me…Rosemary did not induce me in the least toward doubt. The more I thought, the clearer it became to me that God in his infinite wisdom did have a reason though it was hidden from me, and that in time, in some way, it would be unfolded to me. God wants something different from each of us.”

Perhaps what was hidden has now become more clear to us today. Perhaps, as mother wrote, God’s will for each of us always remains a mystery, but in the last few days, Rosemary’s life has, I believe, become much more clear.

In our family, we loved her and she loved us. At St. Coletta’s, everyone loved her and she loved them—her warmth, her patience, her love of desert, her strength, her smile—these were her gifts, her reason, her life. For each of us, she inspired hope—hope that we could find our way, dreams of a better world, action to achieve it.

Today, in villages and cities all over the world, Rosemary’s name may be little known, but her love is making a difference—to a mother of special child, she is a success story. To a person struggling against misunderstanding and prejudice, she is a model of courage. To a family wondering how to stay hopeful, she is a symbol of the ultimate gift that sustains us all: love itself.

Like mother, the truth is that all of us wonder the meaning of a good life, a successful life, a holy life. Today, Rosie, you are the role model of them all—of goodness, of success, of holiness. You love those you touched, and they loved you. You made us all happy and hopeful. You kept the faith.

Many years ago, I may have skippered us to a third place finish, but Mother and Dad and Joe and Jack and Kathleen and you together now surely know the real order of finish: you are a winner in life, a champion of all that matters.

God bless you Rosemary.

I love you.

Standard right wing ignorant bluster. Liberals don't believe people are helpless, they are aware there are people who do need help. Especially the most vulnerable among us; children, the elderly and the disabled. Conservatives idea of swimming lessons it to throw everyone in the river, and the ones that crawl up on shore pass.

Funny, you have nothing but contempt for any success the Kennedy family achieved. Why is that?

Liberals believe in competition, conservatives believe in punishment. The current ilk of people who call themselves conservative is infested with cretins who are social Darwinists.

Survival of the richest, and let them feed on the poor and middle class with no rules for your beloved opulent CEO's.

Conservatism always has been, and always will be the domination of society by an aristocracy. It is what conservatism always strives for and always tries to build. A caste system. It is crucial to conservatism that the people must literally love the order that dominates them.

Conservatives think the little guy is intelligent enough to make his own decisions, as long as he pees in a cup and conforms to right wing dogma.

Here, we reprint the powerful 1962 article in which Eunice Kennedy Shriver talks about the tragic life of her sister Rosemary

Forty-three years ago this month in Brookline, Massachusetts, my mother and father were looking forward with great anticipation and joy to the birth of their third child. My oldest brother, Joe, was four years old, bright, strong, aggressive, with dark eyes, a fine smile. Jack, quick, slender, independent – even at three he was interested in everything and adored by everyone. My father was 30 and my mother was 28. They loved children and would be happy to have all that God would send them.

Rosemary was born September 13 at home – a normal delivery. She was a beautiful child, resembling my mother in physical appearance. But early in life Rosemary was different. She was slower to crawl, slower to walk and speak than her two bright brothers. My mother was told she would catch up later, but she never did.

For a long time my family believed that all of us working together could provide my sister with a happy life in our midst. My parents, strong believers in family loyalty, rejected suggestions that Rosemary be sent away to an institution. "What can they do for her that her family can't do better?" my father would say. "We will keep her at home." And we did. For years these efforts seemed to work. My parents and the other eight children tried to include Rose in everything we did. In Hyannis Port I would take her as a crew in our boat races, and I remember that she usually could do what she was told. She was especially helpful with the jib and she loved to be in the winning boat. Winning at anything always brought a marvellous smile to her face.

She loved music, and my mother used to play the piano and sing to her. At the dining table Rose was unable to cut her meat, so it was served to her already cut.

Later on, in her teens, it was more difficult for her. In social competition she couldn't keep up. She learned to dance well enough for my brothers to take her along to parties, but it wasn't easy when Rose would say: "Why don't other boys ask me to dance?"

Yes, keeping a retarded child at home is difficult. Mother always said that the greatest problem was to get other children to play with Rose and to find time to give her all the attention she needed and deserved. Like many retarded persons, Rose loved small children and wanted to be helpful with them. Often I heard her offer her assistance to Mother with a question like, "Can I take the young children rowing, Mother?"

She loved compliments. Every time I would say "Rose, you have the best teeth and smile in the family," she would smile for hours. She liked to dress up, wear pretty clothes, have her hair fixed and her fingernails polished. When she was asked out by a friend of the family, she would be thrilled. When my father became ambassador to England, Rose came to London with us and was presented to the king and queen at Buckingham Place with mother, dad and my sister Kathleen.

Mother was worried about Rosemary in London. Would she accidentally do something dangerous when mother was occupied with some unavoidable official function? Would she get confused taking a bus and get lost among London's intricate streets? Would someone attack her? No one could watch out for Rose all the time, and she was now a grown-up girl.

In 1941, when we returned to the US, Rosemary was not making progress but seemed instead to be going backward. At 22, she was becoming increasingly irritable and difficult. Her memory and concentration and her judgment were declining. My mother took Rosemary to psychologists and dozens of doctors. All of them said her condition would not get better and that she would be far happier in an institution, where competition was far less and where our numerous activities would not endanger her health. It fills me with sadness to think this change might not have been necessary if we had known then what we know today – that 75 to 85% of the retarded are capable of becoming useful citizens with the help of special education and rehabilitation. Another 10 to 20% can learn to make small contributions, not involving book learning, such as mowing a lawn or washing dishes. Only 5% – the most severely retarded cases – must remain completely dependent all their lives.

So they have returned to the US and Rosemary isn't making "progress"...what happened NEXT, Bfgrn? Why did your narrative end right before Joe Kennedy had his daughter lobotomized and put in an institution in Wisconsin for decades? Don't REALLY want to talk about THAT...do you! Neither do any of the Kennedy's for that matter. That bullshit that Eunice Shriver spouted about Rosemary being put in an institution because the competition would be less and her health wouldn't be endangered by all the Kennedy "activities" is a rather appalling sanitizing of what really happened. Rosemary wasn't put in that institution to protect her...she was put there because what Joe Kennedy DID turned her from a functioning retarded person to someone who was paralyzed and incontinent.

What that article put forth was the Kennedy "myth" about Rosemary. God knows they wouldn't want the world to understand what a cold-hearted bastard Joe Kennedy Senior really was!

Last edited:

So they have returned to the US and Rosemary isn't making "progress"...what happened NEXT, Bfgrn? Why did your narrative end right before Joe Kennedy had his daughter lobotomized and put in an institution in Wisconsin for decades? Don't REALLY want to talk about THAT...do you! Neither do any of the Kennedy's for that matter. That bullshit that Eunice Shriver spouted about Rosemary being put in an institution because the competition would be less and her health wouldn't be endangered by all the Kennedy "activities" is a rather appalling sanitizing of what really happened. Rosemary wasn't put in that institution to protect her...she was put there because what Joe Kennedy DID turned her from a functioning retarded person to someone who was paralyzed and incontinent.

What that article put forth was the Kennedy "myth" about Rosemary. God knows they wouldn't want the world to understand what a cold-hearted bastard Joe Kennedy Senior really was!

You are trying so hard to slander the Kennedy family that your blind hatred is only revealing how you think and just how septic your mind is.

Everything about the Kennedys is deeply sinister in your septic mind. But it wasn't sinister, it was a stigma all parents who had a retarded child faced in those days.

NO FAMILY on the face of this earth did MORE that the Kennedy family to wipe away that stigma.

What happened to Rosemary is tragic, but I am sure Joe Kennedy made that decision because he believed the procedure would make Rosemary better, not worse.

That article was published in 1962. WHO was President in 1962?

John Fitzgerald Kennedy was President in 1962 and the "Camelot" myth making machine was in high gear. Your article by Eunice Shriver is a PERFECT example of how the Kennedy's put out stories about Rosemary Kennedy that fit the image of what they wanted the world to see and had little to do with the reality of what had been done to the oldest Kennedy daughter.

I'm still waiting to see some pictures of Rosemary taking part in the everyday life of the Kennedy's after her lobotomy! You accused me of slandering the Kennedy's when I said that didn't happen. So let's see the pictures of Rosemary with her family post lobotomy! Either that or admit that you naively bought into the Kennedy propaganda about the oldest daughter....

John Fitzgerald Kennedy was President in 1962 and the "Camelot" myth making machine was in high gear. Your article by Eunice Shriver is a PERFECT example of how the Kennedy's put out stories about Rosemary Kennedy that fit the image of what they wanted the world to see and had little to do with the reality of what had been done to the oldest Kennedy daughter.

I'm still waiting to see some pictures of Rosemary taking part in the everyday life of the Kennedy's after her lobotomy! You accused me of slandering the Kennedy's when I said that didn't happen. So let's see the pictures of Rosemary with her family post lobotomy! Either that or admit that you naively bought into the Kennedy propaganda about the oldest daughter....

Admitting that one of the Kennedy family is mentally retarded is ""Camelot" myth making"?

Your deep hatred for anything Kennedy is clear. You only see 'evil'...

Edmund Burke

Admitting that one of the Kennedy family is mentally retarded is ""Camelot" myth making"?

Edmund Burke

It is a myth because facts don't match with your tales

tapatalk post

Edmund Burke

It is a myth because facts don't match with your tales

tapatalk post

Why don't you go play with your friends before the street lights come on and your mommy calls you in. You are mentally retarded.

Edmund Burke

Pretending that Rosemary was put into an institution because the "competitive" nature of the Kennedy household was harmful to her is the "myth". She went into that institution because Joe Kennedy Senior had a lobotomy performed on her that pretty much turned her into a vegetable...and the REASON he did so was that he was worried her behavior might prove to be embarrassing to the political aspirations of their family. I'm not sure if I'd describe that as "evil" but it's fits the bill for disgusting.

Forum List

Back