Orrin Hatch, longtime Utah Republican senator, dead at 88

excerpts:

The greatest civil rights law since the 1960s was about to die on the floor of the U.S. Senate.

There was only one person who could save it — Republican Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah.

A Senate staff lawyer named Bobby Silverstein spotted Hatch stepping into an elevator in a basement of the U.S. Capitol building and raced over to plead with him to stage a last-minute, seemingly impossible rescue.

As Hatch stepped out to confer with Silverstein, the hopes of America’s 43,000,000 citizens with disabilities hung in the balance.

Hatch was the lead Republican sponsor of the bill, and Silverstein was chief counsel for the Senate Subcommittee on Disability Policy and staff director for Tom Harkin, the ADA’s lead Democratic sponsor in the Senate.

The ADA would prohibit discrimination against Americans with disabilities and require employers to reasonably accommodate them. It would also require that a wide range of public and private buildings, services, transportation and telecommunications be made more accessible to people with disabilities. The ADA was designed to do nothing less than legally and physically “re-engineer” major portions of American society.

In 2020, Hatch recalled, “Although hard to imagine now, in the summer of 1990, the doors of opportunity were quite literally closed to millions of people with disabilities. There were few laws on the books requiring reasonable accommodations in the workplace and almost nothing to protect these individuals from discrimination.”

Wow, you're a class act. I bet you make your family proud.

You dickless fuck...
so you are defending a criminal who does not give a shit about americans and serves the bankers instead of the people.you should look in the mirror when calling someone a dickless fuck.

i stole the term "doggone" from him...he worked across the aisle with Ted Kennedy and briefly ran for president i believe in 2000...funny guy, great Senator
the latter issue (his losing presidency) is directly related to the former (working w/ Ted K)

all the proof in the world he was an evil man the fact that mittens works for the elite and the bankers and is part of the corrupt two party system to destroy america.
you're too overzealous, and that's coming from ME...calm down, bro ...lay off the tequila

you're too overzealous, and that's coming from ME...calm down, bro ...lay off the tequila
sorry the truth hurts son.:itsok: i am ready to shoot off firework and throw a party now as any REAL american would. :yes_text12: few politicians are like ron desantis,rand paul and donald trump here to serve the people instead of the bankers and the elite sleepyhead.wake up.

sandisk had the most damn excellent post on this thread,i could not have said it better word for word myself. :thup:

Yet another carpetbagger, who was one of the best friends that the warfare/welfare state ever had.

meh
:thankusmile: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

well said Oddball :thup: thats putting it nicely.I have been much harsher on him than that.

exactly and there sure are a lot of braindead sheep here,a criminal for the military industrial complex that Eisenhower warned the people in his farewell speech to be aware of and was a danger to all americans,as everybody know who is awake found out to be the truth when they took out kennedy.

RIP, but I never did like his neocon politics.

all the more reason WHY i will piss on his grave before i ever utter those unthinkable words you did RIP.dude stop being so nice to a criminal who served the elite instead of the people.:mad:

Last edited:
half of Congress rarely speaks to the other half

they should be calling each other by name, not calling each other names

so you are defending a criminal who does not give a shit about americans and serves the bankers instead of the people.you should look in the mirror when calling someone a dickless fuck.

Fuck you, you sniveling little bitch.

I was merely not reveling in the death of someone.

The fact that you do paints you as a piece of shit, unworthy of much consideration or respect...

Forum List

Back