Oreos may be as addictive as cocaine, morphine

I have often read that sugar and caffeine are the two most addictive legal substances.

I can go through a package of Oreos and a half gallon of milk in a single sitting, but no one would ever call me fat. I admit, I have certain cravings, but I have no addictions other than possibly USMB.

Do not know what is worse for you, the Oreos or the milk.

"Our research supports the theory that high-fat/high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do," co-author Joseph Schroeder, an associate professor of neuroscience at Connecticut College in New London, Conn., said in a press release. "It may explain why some people can't resist these foods despite the fact that they know they are bad for them."

Researchers tested rats' affinity for the chocolatey sandwich cookie in several lab experiments. Co-author Jamie Honohan explained that Oreos were chosen not only for their taste, but because they have high amounts of fat and sugar and are marketed heavily in areas where people tend to have lower socioeconomic status and higher obesity rates."

Oreos may be as addictive as cocaine, morphine - CBS News

I never liked Oreos, too salty. Nevertheless, this illustrates how the food industry likes to make prepared food not for consumption in as much as to generate cash.

[MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION]

Not sure about a comparison to heroin and cocaine, but alcohol is mostly sugar. Many people in alcohol rehab eat huge amounts of sugar to replace what they have lost when they stopped drinking. Many alcoholics are also diabetics.

I have never tried heroin or cocaine. Somehow I would like to imagine they are better than an Oreo. If they are not, what a waste of time and money for the addicts. Next time someone hits you up for a buck on the street, hand them an Oreo and see what happens. :D

They talk about brain stimulation and not about the garden variety of junkie. I hardly think if I went to my street corner and started hawking dime bags of Oreos I would have much success.

I have often read that sugar and caffeine are the two most addictive legal substances.

Nicotine is more addicting than heroin.

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People I have spoken with say that quitting smoking is tougher than junk or booze...

Nicotine IS harder to quit than junk or booze. The VA has a VERY good smoking cessation program. I was really surprised the last time I worked for them how few veterans smoke now. Combat veterans tend to be train wrecks physically and I'm not sure if it is the combat or the cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol that does it. But getting them to stop smoking will save taxpayers mucho bucks~! I know that. I started as an NP in the VA back in the 90s. When I went to community mental health and looked at the charts I would think, 'schizophrenia is ALL this person has?'

Last edited:

People I have spoken with say that quitting smoking is tougher than junk or booze...

I could believe that. The big difference is someone who does cigs is still functional, as opposed to most heroin users when high, and most drunks when drunk, although I have seen functional alcoholics with a BAC to kill a horse still able to function enough to do a job.

"Our research supports the theory that high-fat/high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do," co-author Joseph Schroeder, an associate professor of neuroscience at Connecticut College in New London, Conn., said in a press release. "It may explain why some people can't resist these foods despite the fact that they know they are bad for them."

Researchers tested rats' affinity for the chocolatey sandwich cookie in several lab experiments. Co-author Jamie Honohan explained that Oreos were chosen not only for their taste, but because they have high amounts of fat and sugar and are marketed heavily in areas where people tend to have lower socioeconomic status and higher obesity rates."

Oreos may be as addictive as cocaine, morphine - CBS News

I never liked Oreos, too salty. Nevertheless, this illustrates how the food industry likes to make prepared food not for consumption in as much as to generate cash.

Oreos? thats racist.:badgrin:

I could believe that. The big difference is someone who does cigs is still functional, as opposed to most heroin users when high, and most drunks when drunk, although I have seen functional alcoholics with a BAC to kill a horse still able to function enough to do a job.

A heavy drinker can be more dangerous on the highway sober than drunk. If he stopped drinking and goes into DTs while driving, he is far more dangerous to other drivers than he would be if he was drunk.

Look for the qualifying words. It isn't science anymore it's a conglomeration of pop culture, unemployed "scientists" and editorials designed to catch the eye and make a buck. "It may explain"..."some people" are not scientific evaluations. The whole notion is ridiculous.

How can you be a dry drunk?

Alcoholism stops a person's developmental growth when they get addicted. If the alcoholic is 15 when he started drinking and 45 when he stopped, he still thinks and behaves as if he was 15 because that is what age he was when he checked out. There are also certain behavior patterns and family dynamics that continue even though the person is sober.

Dry Drunk - Dry Drunk Syndrome

Forum List

Back