'Stoneos' cannabis cookies look too much like Oreos, says US FTC

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
About time someone took official cognizance of this prevailing habit of packaging Cannabis edibles in kid-attractive wrappers.
Marijuana, like alcohol or any other intoxicant, is for adults only--and the marketing should reflect that.

"Six companies that make snacks with the active ingredient of cannabis have been sent cease and desist letters because the packaging looks too much like foods that kids love, including "Stoneos" that mimic Oreo cookies, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) said on Wednesday.
The letters were sent by the FTC and Food and Drug Administration over concern that children may want to try them, the FTC said, including products that could easily be mistaken for Doritos tortilla chips, Cheetos cheese-flavored snacks, and Nerds and other candies.
The products included "Double Stuf Stoneo" marked as made by "Dabisco," and "Jolly Rancher Gummies Sours" as well as a "Cheetos Crunchy XXTRA Flamin' Hot." All are marked as containing THC - the ingredient in marijuana that produces a high - in a lower corner of the package.
The letter said the FDA received more than 125 reports of children or adults who experienced adverse effects to a THC consumable from Jan. 1, 2021 to May 31, 2022. "Ten of the reports specifically mention the edible product to be a copycat of popular foods," the letter said.
"You must immediately cease marketing edible Delta-8 THC products that imitate conventional foods using advertising or packaging that is likely to be appealing to young children," the letter said.

Frito-Lay, which makes Doritos, said in a statement that it applauded the agencies' actions in "curtailing these deceptive products." It said it was seeking legislation that would criminalize selling THC edibles using packaging that infringes on that of famous snack brands."

Jeeeez. Bunch of whiny Karens. When I was a kid many yummy looking things were big fat no-nos in my house and my mom stored them appropriately. Like baby aspirin, Ayds diet aids and children's vitamins for instance. I myself tried mom's vanilla when her back was turned because it smelled (but didn't taste) so wonderful and mom didn't think I was dumb enough to drink that. I showed her! And these days it's much worse what with pharmacy's product being presented in damn gummies. That's adulthood for ya nowadays, I guess.

Parents need to do their job. Maybe that includes keeping shit out of their kids hands.

Why would anyone make a cookie like this?... a kid could get a hold of one thinking its an oreo cookie... what kind of a stoned out lunatic would do this?... they should come down on this brand hard and make sure they never get a license to sell cannabis ever again....

stoneo-original-600x600.jpg

About time someone took official cognizance of this prevailing habit of packaging Cannabis edibles in kid-attractive wrappers.
Marijuana, like alcohol or any other intoxicant, is for adults only--and the marketing should reflect that.

"Six companies that make snacks with the active ingredient of cannabis have been sent cease and desist letters because the packaging looks too much like foods that kids love, including "Stoneos" that mimic Oreo cookies, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) said on Wednesday.
The letters were sent by the FTC and Food and Drug Administration over concern that children may want to try them, the FTC said, including products that could easily be mistaken for Doritos tortilla chips, Cheetos cheese-flavored snacks, and Nerds and other candies.
The products included "Double Stuf Stoneo" marked as made by "Dabisco," and "Jolly Rancher Gummies Sours" as well as a "Cheetos Crunchy XXTRA Flamin' Hot." All are marked as containing THC - the ingredient in marijuana that produces a high - in a lower corner of the package.
The letter said the FDA received more than 125 reports of children or adults who experienced adverse effects to a THC consumable from Jan. 1, 2021 to May 31, 2022. "Ten of the reports specifically mention the edible product to be a copycat of popular foods," the letter said.
"You must immediately cease marketing edible Delta-8 THC products that imitate conventional foods using advertising or packaging that is likely to be appealing to young children," the letter said.

Frito-Lay, which makes Doritos, said in a statement that it applauded the agencies' actions in "curtailing these deceptive products." It said it was seeking legislation that would criminalize selling THC edibles using packaging that infringes on that of famous snack brands."
More trumpers wanting big govenrment to regulate markets.

When I was a kid we had bubble gum cigarettes, bubble gum chew...big league chew I think it was and all kinds of crazy candies but now trumpers are so sensitive and want big gov to help them raise their children.

When I was a kid we had bubble gum cigarettes, bubble gum chew...big league chew I think it was and all kinds of crazy candies but now trumpers are so sensitive and want big gov to help them raise their children.
Do you know how many people from our generation have died from smoking and tobacco related diseases?... government should regulate things like this...
instead of telling you what kind of car you can drive....

Dunno about your political take..but all that shit was bad...and its absence is a good thing..IMO.

Perhaps you might refrain from trolling the opposition..and respond to the post? I do not think that requiring adult packaging for intoxicants is controlling the market...merely protecting our children from making bad decisions regarding the drugs we bring into their lives? No kid is buying the edibles, right? Thus the market argument in a bit ingenuous.

One of the worst sins, to drug a vulnerable creature without it even having the capability to understand what's going on.

My husband used prescribed cannabis for his horrible restless legs syndrome. It worked extremely well.

Then I misjudged his ability to responsibly handle the edibles in his impending dementia and he got careless, knocking his edible on the floor. Then our little 15 pound dog got excited about finding cheesy floor snacks, possibly ingesting as much as an adult dose. It took a while to figure out what had gone wrong, and for the time she was affected, I thought she was having a stroke or something. Within a few hours, she came back to normal, and when it occurred to me what had happened, I had the most incredible sense of guilt for allowing such a scary thing to happen to our little girl.

Can't imagine anyone not feeling equal guilt about possibly assaulting a child in the same way.

Do you know how many people from our generation have died from smoking and tobacco related diseases?... government should regulate things like this...
instead of telling you what kind of car you can drive....
Pro government regulation. Interesting.

So you support government regulation those things that are unhealthy like gas stoves and wood pizza ovens?

Dunno about your political take..but all that shit was bad...and its absence is a good thing..IMO.

Perhaps you might refrain from trolling the opposition..and respond to the post? I do not think that requiring adult packaging for intoxicants is controlling the market...merely protecting our children from making bad decisions regarding the drugs we bring into their lives? No kid is buying the edibles, right? Thus the market argument in a bit ingenuous.
Why is stating my opinion and using historical examples of things to make a comparison trolling?

If kids want and can get edible,s I don't think it matters what they look like.

It's not like edibles in the shape of brussel sprouts would be fooling anyone.

Jeeeez. Bunch of whiny Karens. When I was a kid many yummy looking things were big fat no-nos in my house and my mom stored them appropriately. Like baby aspirin, Ayds diet aids and children's vitamins for instance. I myself tried mom's vanilla when her back was turned because it smelled (but didn't taste) so wonderful and mom didn't think I was dumb enough to drink that. I showed her! And these days it's much worse what with pharmacy's product being presented in damn gummies. That's adulthood for ya nowadays, I guess.

Parents need to do their job. Maybe that includes keeping shit out of their kids hands.
Pot is a dangerous drug.
I suppose Fent Newtons or chocolate crack cookies are OK, too?
This looks like Joe Camel all over again.
Altria was behind that and they’re now working with the pot industry.

Why is stating my opinion and using historical examples of things to make a comparison trolling?

If kids want and can get edible,s I don't think it matters what they look like.

It's not like edibles in the shape of brussel sprouts would be fooling anyone.
I must wonder...did you miss the point..or did you just knowingly drive past it?

To a 5 year old..it DOES matter what it looks like....and Oreo's are yummy. So are chips...I love the Flamin' hot ones. An unwitting adult might dose himself as well..dumb, but foreseeable.

Your argument seems to be related to teens--who should also abstain from pot..but won't..especially when Mom's stash is known.

I don't think 'fooling' anyone is the issue or the intent..it's simply to reduce the chance of children ingesting it unknowingly.

Ahh...trolling.

My definition, cleverly couching a post so that it rankles someone's feathers..even if said post appears to be ration and reasonable....alluding to big govt.--something that the right abhors....you are waving a red flag in front of them. Not that it's a bad thing sometimes, I love to rankle folks.
This issue should be non-political---common sense and all that, right? So I don't throw out the loaded phrases and such....no need, now is there?

I must wonder...did you miss the point..or did you just knowingly drive past it?

To a 5 year old..it DOES matter what it looks like....and Oreo's are yummy. So are chips...I love the Flamin' hot ones. An unwitting adult might dose himself as well..dumb, but foreseeable.

Your argument seems to be related to teens--who should also abstain from pot..but won't..especially when Mom's stash is known.

My arguement is we don't need big government determining what products look like because they want to parent for us.

I don't think 'fooling' anyone is the issue or the intent..it's simply to reduce the chance of children ingesting it unknowingly.

In summation, government regulation.

Do you think the government should regulate the appearance of all items that could make it unsafe for kids?

Ahh...trolling.

My definition, cleverly couching a post so that it rankles someone's feathers..even if said post appears to be ration and reasonable....alluding to big govt.--something that the right abhors....you are waving a red flag in front of them. Not that it's a bad thing sometimes, I love to rankle folks.
This issue should be non-political---common sense and all that, right? So I don't throw out the loaded phrases and such....no need, now is there?
So what you are saying is I can't accuse Trumpers of supporting big government in my posts because even if they do support a big government action like forcing companies to change the appearance of their products, you think thats trolling?

You have strange concepts of debate.

My arguement is we don't need big government determining what products look like because they want to parent for us.

In summation, government regulation.

Do you think the government should regulate the appearance of all items that could make it unsafe for kids?

So what you are saying is I can't accuse Trumpers of supporting big government in my posts because even if they do support a big government action like forcing companies to change the appearance of their products, you think thats trolling?

You have strange concepts of debate.
Pretty plain vanilla..as regards debate..simply feel that very job of government is to protect the people..and especially the young. I gather you were against the Tide Pods regulations? Kids died, ya know. Perhaps you're a Darwinist and just shrug?
It is nothing but greed that makes people market poison to children. I expect my Govt. to step in..and I'll bitch when they don't.

It is not that regulating is inherently good or bad--it's the context that matters. To allow a correctable danger to a vulnerable population is bad governance....one can always come up with some absurdist argument about over-regulation..but conflating apples and oranges won't work, for me.

Pretty plain vanilla..as regards debate..simply feel that very job of government is to protect the people..and especially the young.

This statement seems counter to Republican views on government but I guess bringing that up is trolling.

I gather you were against the Tide Pods regulations? Kids died, ya know. Perhaps you're a Darwinist and just shrug?

Didn't pay much attention to the tide pod thing.

However, here are Trumpers I was talking about that did not support tide pod regulation.

It is nothing but greed that makes people market poison to children. I expect my Govt. to step in..and I'll bitch when they don't.

You didn't have much to say about it in post three here in 2019.

You seemed to support darwinism then.

It is not that regulating is inherently good or bad--it's the context that matters. To allow a correctable danger to a vulnerable population is bad governance....one can always come up with some absurdist argument about over-regulation..but conflating apples and oranges won't work, for me.
So why do so many trumpers freak out over gas stove regulations and wood pizza ovens...and evidently tide pods.

This statement seems counter to Republican views on government but I guess bringing that up is trolling.

Didn't pay much attention to the tide pod thing.

However, here are Trumpers I was talking about that did not support tide pod regulation.

You didn't have much to say about it in post three here in 2019.

You seemed to support darwinism then.

So why do so many trumpers freak out over gas stove regulations and wood pizza ovens...and evidently tide pods.
Hmmm..first of all..surely you are not thinking I'm a Republican? That my statement runs a bit counter to their creed is, I would think, a given. No, bringing it up would not be trolling..we are past that, as you caught a fish, for a bit.

Ahhh, the post you mentioned..what you read is a flat statement "Darwin is relentless"..and his principles are correct. My support or lack of it is moot...IMO. Not much else for me to say, at the time..problem was being addressed.

Dunno about stove regulations as I don't give a shit...sad, I guess..but ultimately true. I foresee no meaningful legislation of said industries in the near future..the rest is just clickbait and wedge issues.

267979-1de5b79f244cbf343e576be73d31b678.jpg

Back in my day, little kids couldn't roll one. Now they buy twin packs of thin cigars on the street corner.

Is this a great country, or what?!!!

If you have Stoneos, you should put them away. Maybe next to your Prozac and Oxycontin.

Just a suggestion.

Yes, canibis edibles need to have a different look to them. I ate some chocolate chip cookies four years ago and got a big surprise. Was not very happy about it.

Yes, canibis edibles need to have a different look to them. I ate some chocolate chip cookies four years ago and got a big surprise. Was not very happy about it.
Given that just one of those Stoneos are 250 mg....and I usually eat a 25mg gummy that gets me high all day--a person could hurt themselves.

AA1dtTbS.img

Last edited:
The manufacturers need to up their political donation game apparently.

Why would anyone make a cookie like this?... a kid could get a hold of one thinking its an oreo cookie... what kind of a stoned out lunatic would do this?... they should come down on this brand hard and make sure they never get a license to sell cannabis ever again....

stoneo-original-600x600.jpg
Where do you buy these?

Asking for a friend

Forum List

Back