Oreos may be as addictive as cocaine, morphine

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"Our research supports the theory that high-fat/high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do," co-author Joseph Schroeder, an associate professor of neuroscience at Connecticut College in New London, Conn., said in a press release. "It may explain why some people can't resist these foods despite the fact that they know they are bad for them."

Researchers tested rats' affinity for the chocolatey sandwich cookie in several lab experiments. Co-author Jamie Honohan explained that Oreos were chosen not only for their taste, but because they have high amounts of fat and sugar and are marketed heavily in areas where people tend to have lower socioeconomic status and higher obesity rates."

Oreos may be as addictive as cocaine, morphine - CBS News

I never liked Oreos, too salty. Nevertheless, this illustrates how the food industry likes to make prepared food not for consumption in as much as to generate cash.

• Banned
Don't tell that to Bloomberg.

No kidding two cookies and a sip of soda...

Bloomberg_Littlest_Dictator_600.jpg

Well, maybe that explains why I'm not an Oreo fan.

I was in a car wreck a few years ago, and got banged up a bit. They gave me morphine in the ER...nothin'. Didn't do anything for me.

I seem to lack the morphine/Oreo receptor.

Every day, the 30,000 people of Archer Daniels Midland Company turn crops into renewable products that meet the demands of a growing world. At more than 265 processing plants, we convert corn, oilseeds, wheat and cocoa into products for food, animal feed, industrial and energy uses. We operate the world’s premier crop origination and transportation network, connecting crops and markets in more than 140 countries on six continents.

ADM: Home

i pity anyone who thinks any business is in business to promote anything but themselves and their profit margins....your food supply is very controlled....for profit...

"Our research supports the theory that high-fat/high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do," co-author Joseph Schroeder, an associate professor of neuroscience at Connecticut College in New London, Conn., said in a press release. "It may explain why some people can't resist these foods despite the fact that they know they are bad for them."

Researchers tested rats' affinity for the chocolatey sandwich cookie in several lab experiments. Co-author Jamie Honohan explained that Oreos were chosen not only for their taste, but because they have high amounts of fat and sugar and are marketed heavily in areas where people tend to have lower socioeconomic status and higher obesity rates."

Oreos may be as addictive as cocaine, morphine - CBS News

I never liked Oreos, too salty. Nevertheless, this illustrates how the food industry likes to make prepared food not for consumption in as much as to generate cash.

The thing is I don't see people trying to boost my flatscreen for an Oreo fix.

damn you.....i love them peanut m & m's.....and i cant have them....so here is what i do....i get a pack at the local food dog...i eat my allotted 4 or 5...then i close the pack....about 2 minutes later my fingers are out of control and digging right back into them....so i go to friends shop and give him to his co worker....

as a diabetic i even try to rationalize that they are peanuts....peanuts with chocolate and that wonderful candy coating.....

but no there is no group....you just need to find a 'sin eater' within minutes of the place you buy them..the two serving size ...on sale last week...buy one get one free....

if drugs were legal no one would be boosting your flat screen for a fix either....

think about it

That might be the case. I am a proponent of legalizing Pot to at least see if it would affect our current losing War on Drugs.

Going back to the OP though, while oreos may affect the same areas of the brain as hard drugs, I would think hard drugs have far more of an impact, and are thus much hard to stop using. Oreos would be more like pot to me as you can have "recreational" users of both items. I have seen very few recreational meth heads or crack addicts in my time.

are meth and crack the same thing? i get varying answers on that....to be honest.....i have no problem with legalizing it all.....right up to heroin...then let darwin's theory run damn wild....oxie heads go quickly....meth heads will linger for a while...

the fearful thing of meth and oxie's it really knows no boundaries...no social class....no religion....we are having a problem in the family with a pill head....he was raised in a very religious home with values but no boundaries....and now he is running pretty wild....attempted to make his grandmother give him his trust fund....things like that...but my point is....this can happen to anyone....i ask my son why he has never done any of it...his answer was simple...too afraid of the addiction...we never lied to him about drugs....if you lie to them about pot and they smoke some and dont meltdown then they figure you have lied about it all....we told him the drugs we did at one time and why we dont do certain ones....when freebasing came in....i got out of that scene totally....just didnt need the addiction.....but damn i miss ludes ....

o back to the op...i am not surprised that oreo's are addicting....these foods are chemically engineered for maximum impact...cheetos are said to be the perfect junk food...melts at a certain temperature...etc....

now i had never been to trader joe's before and everyone raved about it...healthy ...organic blah blah blah...its nothing more than an upscale shop for stoners who want to think they are eating well....cookie butter......you think oreo's are addicting...wait till you run up on cookie crack

if drugs were legal no one would be boosting your flat screen for a fix either....

think about it

Huh? Drug addicts aren't going to steal to get legal drugs? That's like saying homeless people wouldn't ever shoplift food because it's legal.

okay john....legal drugs will be FREE!!! in the land of obama.....stop crushing my damn utopia ....oday?

and if i want a man pointing out my illogical thinking....i will talk to my husband...got that? lol

are meth and crack the same thing? i get varying answers on that....to be honest.....i have no problem with legalizing it all.....right up to heroin...then let darwin's theory run damn wild....oxie heads go quickly....meth heads will linger for a while...

the fearful thing of meth and oxie's it really knows no boundaries...no social class....no religion....we are having a problem in the family with a pill head....he was raised in a very religious home with values but no boundaries....and now he is running pretty wild....attempted to make his grandmother give him his trust fund....things like that...but my point is....this can happen to anyone....i ask my son why he has never done any of it...his answer was simple...too afraid of the addiction...we never lied to him about drugs....if you lie to them about pot and they smoke some and dont meltdown then they figure you have lied about it all....we told him the drugs we did at one time and why we dont do certain ones....when freebasing came in....i got out of that scene totally....just didnt need the addiction.....but damn i miss ludes ....

For hard drugs I would want to implement a control that may have consitutional issues. If we legalized them, committing any crimes involving theft or violence (i.e. we wont do this for pissing on the sidewalk) would require you to attend detox and remove your right to do said drug. A 2nd offence would put you in a camp that would allow you to do all the drugs you want. If you want to leave said camp, its detox and no drugs ever, period, with monthly testing. you fail, THEN its hard jail time.

why go thru all that trouble? again darwin's theory will do it's job.....and in most countries that have legalized drugs..useage of hard drugs will go down...but of course these are countries with more moral restrictions...ie mexico....catholics...etc...but yea for a year or so it would be heyday.....but then it will calm down....

why go thru all that trouble? again darwin's theory will do it's job.....and in most countries that have legalized drugs..useage of hard drugs will go down...but of course these are countries with more moral restrictions...ie mexico....catholics...etc...but yea for a year or so it would be heyday.....but then it will calm down....

Its more about the damage those addicts can do to others. My "camps" are darwinism, but in a nice foresty environment where they can kill themselves off away from us normal folks.

somehow the op's oreo's have now morphed into the ills of the world or at least this society....

i wonder about the inner cities and when will they be dealt with and how? can we really bribe them with oreo's?

Forum List

Back