Oregon raises min wage

Maybe, but many others do want to start a business and will surly avoid that state. Who can blame them? Why do you think we lost most of our manufacturing to foreign entities? That's right, wages and regulations.

So I own Ray's Widget company, and I'm looking to expand my operations in the US. I am going to employ about 500 people. Do I move to a state where they use the federal minimum wage, or do I move to a place like Oregon where it's going to cost me an extra couple of million for wages and benefits?

The choice is pretty simple, especially if I have stock holders to keep happy.

Keeping stockholders happy keeps your widget company hiring child labor and negates fire regulations?
!

Who's doing that? Be specific, cough up some names

Levi Strauss. Levi's are now made in Bangladesh.

Any company making products in third world countries.

Wealthy corporate elites don't need help from anybody. Only those that insist government force employers to overpay employees that aren't worth a crap are the ones that need help.

The only reason a company would keep an employee 'that aren't worth crap' is because they will work for crap.

Wealthy corporate elites don't need help from anybody. Only those that insist government force employers to overpay employees that aren't worth a crap are the ones that need help.

The only reason a company would keep an employee 'that aren't worth crap' is because they will work for crap.

Exactly. So if they were forced to overpay such an employee, that employee would lose their job. Don't you get it yet?

Oregon lawmakers approve landmark minimum wage increase

I wonder if the same idiots that whine now about the min wage sound like the idiots that whined the apocalypse was going to happen when it was raised to its current wage.....anyways good for Oregon residents,maybe now they can make ends meet a little better.
Company's will start moving out of Oregon and reconsider moving there...

No reason for them to move as the ball has started rolling already. It's just a matter of time until other states begin to follow.
meme121.jpg

Name one employer that went bankrupt because they paid their employees too much.

Exactly. So if they were forced to overpay such an employee, that employee would lose their job. Don't you get it yet?

The employee was giving as much as he was receiving in pay. Crap employees are the employers fault.

If that's a persons attitude towards work, it's not a wonder why they make minimum or lower wages in the first place.

When you go on the job, you do the best job you can no matter how much you get paid. That's how you create references for better jobs down the road. That's how you get better pay or promotions at the job you are currently at.

Right now Oregon ranks about 7th for the most expensive states to live in.
This will only make it worse.

Not for those making minimum wage or next to it If you personally find you can't afford your 'minimum wage then you are doing life wrong. Anyway, let's see how poor little you suffers when the rate goes up.

I wonder if the same idiots that whine now about the min wage sound like the idiots that whined the apocalypse was going to happen when it was raised to its current wage.....anyways good for Oregon residents,maybe now they can make ends meet a little better.

No reason for them to move as the ball has started rolling already. It's just a matter of time until other states begin to follow.
meme121.jpg

Name one employer that went bankrupt because they paid their employees too much.
It's called too much overhead... It happens all the time.

If that's a persons attitude towards work, it's not a wonder why they make minimum or lower wages in the first place.

When you go on the job, you do the best job you can no matter how much you get paid. That's how you create references for better jobs down the road. That's how you get better pay or promotions at the job you are currently at.

Nobody hires bad employees, employers make them bad.

People take jobs because they need to work. Most time they are poorly paid positions.

If you are an employer, why would you have positions that an employee would use as a step stone for a resume? Wouldn't it make better sense to have all positions paying a living wage and promote from within?

meme121.jpg

Then reduce your overhead. I did. I bought my suppliers.

Now, name one company that went bankrupt because they paid their employees too much. Good luck.

People take jobs because they need to work. Most time they are poorly paid positions.

If you are an employer, why would you have positions that an employee would use as a step stone for a resume? Wouldn't it make better sense to have all positions paying a living wage and promote from within?

Because they save money that way, that's why.

You only need so much experience to wash floors or clean toilets. If such a person leaves the job, then the employer will simply hire somebody else at minimum wage to do the same job.

Bosses respect good workers--especially those that work without the consideration of pay. I remember during the Reagan recession where there weren't any jobs at all--not even McDonald's jobs.

I too was out of work, so I joined a temporary service. My first job with them was at a factory where they sent seven of us to the business. The supervisor was an ex-military guy. I was a 20 some year old with long hair and tee shirt. The supervisor gave us a little lecture about the company and the job as we stood in a line like boot camp. When he got to me, he said "Do you even know how to work???"

He ate his words. After the first day, two workers didn't return. After all, it was a minimum wage job. The next day, two walked off of the job. At the end of the job, I was the last one he let go. On my way out, he stopped me at the door. With a bit of shame, he asked if I would return when the economy got better to apply for a full time job. He said he could really use a worker like me.

Long story short, a former co-worker of mine got me into his company when the economy turned around. It had to go through corporate where they called my last places of employment for references. I was told through the grape vine that the temporary service I worked for gave me an A+ reference.

actually it might be better for residents of one state.
products that come from other states will still be produced at the lower pay rates so the price of goods wont go up.
However, if all states do it, then the price of goods goes up accordingly and the increase in minimum wage will for the most part be eaten up by inflation.
And, while the minimum wage goes up, the wages of workers already at or above that pay rate will most likely not see an increase so their standard of living will go down as prices go up.
But, for one state to do it? Yes, the people will most likely see favorable results overall.

You only need so much experience to wash floors or clean toilets. If such a person leaves the job, then the employer will simply hire somebody else at minimum wage to do the same job.

Bosses respect good workers--especially those that work without the consideration of pay. I remember during the Reagan recession where there weren't any jobs at all--not even McDonald's jobs.

I too was out of work, so I joined a temporary service. My first job with them was at a factory where they sent seven of us to the business. The supervisor was an ex-military guy. I was a 20 some year old with long hair and tee shirt. The supervisor gave us a little lecture about the company and the job as we stood in a line like boot camp. When he got to me, he said "Do you even know how to work???"

He ate his words. After the first day, two workers didn't return. After all, it was a minimum wage job. The next day, two walked off of the job. At the end of the job, I was the last one he let go. On my way out, he stopped me at the door. With a bit of shame, he asked if I would return when the economy got better to apply for a full time job. He said he could really use a worker like me.

Long story short, a former co-worker of mine got me into his company when the economy turned around. It had to go through corporate where they called my last places of employment for references. I was told through the grape vine that the temporary service I worked for gave me an A+ reference.

You never save money by replacing workers. Any good employer hires, trains, nurturer's their employees.

You never save money by replacing workers. Any good employer hires, trains, nurturer's their employees.

That's why I highlighted monkey jobs to make the point. If there is any kind of training or learning involved, then of course the employer usually increases wages above minimum.

Forum List

Back