Opioid Crisis?? Well that didnt take long

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
Predicted this and its already on the way. I am not in chronic pain but have had some recent experience being denied needed pain meds. Injured my hand at work which required two surgeries to fix, partly because they didn't do an immediate MRI and were working off just an x-ray. Forget the generic of what I was given, was oxy something, fake Percocet. After three days was rdy to rip cast off because I couldn't stand it anymore. Called ortho told em I need the real thing and got a series of lies, one was a med they had prescribed with the pain meds boosted the pain med and was I taking it. Problem is it doesn't say that anywhere except their take home instructions because I always check my meds out. When I informed her of this she got nasty and hung up. Dr then tried the there are so many formulations of it he cant waste time trying to personalize it to me. Go and ask the friendly pharmacist how many there were, 3.....
'We're treated like drug addicts': As America fights opioid addiction, the healthcare system is failing people who live with chronic pain
'We're treated like drug addicts': As America fights opioid addiction, the healthcare system is failing people who live with chronic pain

Predicted this and its already on the way. I am not in chronic pain but have had some recent experience being denied needed pain meds. Injured my hand at work which required two surgeries to fix, partly because they didn't do an immediate MRI and were working off just an x-ray. Forget the generic of what I was given, was oxy something, fake Percocet. After three days was rdy to rip cast off because I couldn't stand it anymore. Called ortho told em I need the real thing and got a series of lies, one was a med they had prescribed with the pain meds boosted the pain med and was I taking it. Problem is it doesn't say that anywhere except their take home instructions because I always check my meds out. When I informed her of this she got nasty and hung up. Dr then tried the there are so many formulations of it he cant waste time trying to personalize it to me. Go and ask the friendly pharmacist how many there were, 3.....
Are you okay? You're typing.... are you on an opioid binge right now?

Are you okay? You're typing.... are you on an opioid binge right now?

That sign in your signature. Now that's funny! And dead on.

Here's the thing - if you're taking Percocet or Oxys long-term for "chronic pain", you ARE a drug addict.

This is a matter of chemistry, not morals.

Addiction to all these drugs is pretty well documented. Rush Limbaugh was addicted to Oxycontin.

You know, CBD oils are legal, even in places like TX. And, I know from personal experience from watching my roomie that they work.

Ever thought about trying them?

Sorry to hear that. That's the Catch-22 for severe pain. The 'real stuff' is really addicting but aren't many alternatives. Depending on the type of pain Marijuana can help.

To be fair, a lot of people who want pain pills just want to get high. Emergency rooms get as many people wanting a buzz as they do people who are actually hurt. I don't know what the answer is, but I know the extreme attitude that doctors have is hurting people who really need the pain relief.

Just as Travis Ruhland had the problem of obtaining cannabis oil for Kait's melanoma, so too the problem of acquiring it for real medical benefit. We have already shown that a cannabis methanone links to a chemotherapeutic agent used for cancer, though it is adorned with fluorine and iodine. Coupled to mediation, it seems worth a try. Though it's easy for one with little pain to speak of it to one with a lot of pan, we are investigating these possibilities in PTSD as well. Problem is confounded due to doctors who have their wives killed for blowing the whistle on their lucrative opioid enterprises.

Here's the thing - if you're taking Percocet or Oxys long-term for "chronic pain", you ARE a drug addict.

Yeah... that's not true. There are certain issues that you can have that will leave you in constant pain no matter what. Take for example a back injury and spinal stenosis. Not everyone has the time to take off from life to have surgery, and even with surgery there is only a 33% chance pain will be relieved by the procedure. The fact the back pain is actually occurring can be proven through nerve conduction tests.

Yeah... that's not true. There are certain issues that you can have that will leave you in constant pain no matter what. Take for example a back injury and spinal stenosis. Not everyone has the time to take off from life to have surgery, and even with surgery there is only a 33% chance pain will be relieved by the procedure. The fact the back pain is actually occurring can be proven through nerve conduction tests.

The number for successful back surgery is much higher than 33%.
I researched it heavily before I had surgery two months ago and the number is closer to 90%.

I researched it heavily before I had surgery two months ago and the number is closer to 90%.

The doctor that quoted me the success rate is the top neurosurgeon in the state of Kentucky. Of course the success rate of spinal fusion surgery will also vary depending on what part of the spine it is being done to. Mine would be from the L-3 through the S-1. I was told to just go through pain management until I basically can't even walk anymore... because back surgery is permanent and the only thing that can be done if the surgery isn't successful, is to keep doing more. I'm to the point I'm ready to have surgery, but I won't be able to until I'm finished with school. I can't afford to take off a semester to get it done.

Last edited:

The doctor that quotes me the success rate is the top neurosurgeon in the state of Kentucky. Of course the success rate of spinal fusion surgery will also vary depending on what part of the spine it is being done to. Mine would be from the L-3 through the S-1. I was told to just go through pain management until I basically can't even walk anymore... because back surgery is permanent and the only thing that can be done if the surgery isn't successful, is to keep doing more. I'm to the point I'm ready to have surgery, but I won't be able to until I'm finished with school. I can't afford to take off a semester to get it done.

So you're saying in your case there's only a 33% success rate?

They fused 3 and 4 in my case and I had no nerve pain when they rolled me out of surgery.
I'd say I'm at 85% and it's improving daily.

The doctor that quotes me the success rate is the top neurosurgeon in the state of Kentucky. Of course the success rate of spinal fusion surgery will also vary depending on what part of the spine it is being done to. Mine would be from the L-3 through the S-1. I was told to just go through pain management until I basically can't even walk anymore... because back surgery is permanent and the only thing that can be done if the surgery isn't successful, is to keep doing more. I'm to the point I'm ready to have surgery, but I won't be able to until I'm finished with school. I can't afford to take off a semester to get it done.

So you're saying in your case there's only a 33% success rate?

They fused 3 and 4 in my case and I had no nerve pain when they rolled me out of surgery.
I'd say I'm at 85% and it's improving daily.

That's what the neurosurgeon told me. I'm glad to hear you are doing better... even though I don't care for your views and a lot of the things you say. :)

I think spinal fusion has a better success rate than the rod & pins I was offered and I denied. I've done better on my own than any of the Dr's I've seen over the past 2 years. Any of the pain meds prescribed didn't touch it, including Oxycodone.

I think spinal fusion has a better success rate than the rod & pins I was offered and I denied. I've done better on my own than any of the Dr's I've seen over the past 2 years. Any of the pain meds prescribed didn't touch it, including Oxycodone.

My back is fucked and it sucks. I used to be a scratch golfer and had to quit playing. I used to get REALLY strong meds but now with the new laws and all the people that abuse drugs I only get 7.5's, 800 mg Gabapentin, Ibuprofen, and Tizanadine. the Tizanadine probably helps the most, especially in helping go to sleep at night... but when I wake up every morning I feel like I've been kicked in the back by a mule.

Spinal fusion involves rods/pins and plates along with the spacer that encourages bone growth.
You have to have something to hold it all together while the vertebrates grow together..or fuse.

Spinal fusion involves rods/pins and plates along with the spacer that encourages bone growth.
You have to have something to hold it all together while the vertebrates grow together..or fuse.

What did they use between your vertebrae? The first doctor I saw a long time ago, who was an orthopedic surgeon, said they would harvest bone from my pelvis. Of course that was all the way back in 2004.

Forum List

Back