Opinions about the constitutionality of socialized healthcare

Discussion in 'Politics' started by manifold, Jul 11, 2010.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,736
    Ground rules:

1. You must agree that this is a discussion of opinions, including your own. If constitutional history shows us anything, at then end of the day all matters of constitionality rest upon the opinion's of men.

I define socialized medicine very simply as spending tax dollars to provide healthcare to anyone who needs it and asks for it. My opinion is that socialized healthcare is absolutely constitutional. If much of what the federal government pays for with public funds is constitutional, then this must be as well. So unless your position is that much, if not most, of what the federal government funds is also unconstitutional, you really don't have much of a case. And even if that's your case, caselaw kicks your ass (pun intended).

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Well it is my opinion that much, if not most, of what the federal government funds is unconstitutional, including this health care bill. I'm also aware that case law doesn't agree with me. However, I'm also of the opinion that case law has very little to do with the Constitution, and more to do with the opinion of what judges think the Constitution should be.

The Constitution gives no express power to the federal government to provide health care for anyone, therefore, under the 10th Amendment, socialized health care would have to be unconstitutional.

3. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    We already have a program that provides healthcare for people who do not have the money. It's called Medicaid and Medicare. What is unconstitutional about this new law is forcing people to have coverage who do not want nor need it. It is the loophole that will ensnare the American people in the control trap of the federal Government. If the government is big and powerful enough to give you anything and everything they are also big and powerful enough to take it away. When the enforcement of this new law starts the government will be able to control your life.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. USArmyRetired

USArmyRetired BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +346
    Agreed. Even if it was constitutional it would be declared null and void because Obama is not constitutionally qualified to hold the office of the presidency under Article 2 Section 1 Clause 5 because he is not a Natural Born Citizen. This bill will be overturned as well as all other legislation he has signed into law because of his ineligibility. It's just a matter of time when he is exposed as a usurper.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  5. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    Sir I am sorry but the birth certificate issue is just a smoke screen to mask the other things obama and the left are doing.

6. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    :rolleyes:

Give me a break. Keep your partisan sour grapes in the Flame Zone or Conspiracy Theory sections where they belong.

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    My opinion is that whether or not it is constitutional lies in the hands of the nine Supreme Court Justices at the time that a case reaches them. Until then we have to assume that even if it is bad law, we are stuck with it.

Immie

8. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    Can a person be arrested without being mirandized?

9. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Actually, yes, they can but then the case against the perpetrator is likely to be lost on a technicality.

Now, what the heck does that have to do with this discussion?

Immie

10. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Run a entire platform on this argument, please.

As for the OP, valid effort on your part Mani. Be surprised if it works out. Plenty of people at USMB worship many of our founders as lesser Gods and especially worship the Constitution. Of course, what they fail to mention is they worship what they think the constitution means. :lol:

As for me, I personally find your OP to be logically acceptable and makes sense.