Oops: CBO Says GOP Health Care ‘Alternative’ Leaves 52 Million Uninsured By 2019

What planet do you live on? Seriously.

Hospitals DO come after you for payment through legal action. And sure, some will allow for "payment plans", require it to be paid within an absurdly short amount of time before they move on to collections.

irresponsible people have a myriad of ways to deal with irresponsible debt.

So healthcare expenses are now "irresponsible debt" :lol:

You people are hilarious.

The irresponsible part is not doing everything you can to pay for it... getting your second job.. cutting out extras like cell phones, satellite TV, DVD players, restaurant meals, etc... also not planning for things with a savings account, paying for health insurance instead of an Escalade, etc

You really believe private charity can pick up the slack?

I know they can.. as I have seen it with my neighbors... though they still have a lot of expenses they pay for out of pocket, the private charity has helped them a ton... and their family, neighbors, and friends have all contributed to and have done work for the charity that helped them out because we CHOSE to support a great charity like that

When you reduce the size of govt... ensuring that we don't pay 50% of our income in various taxes to support the bloated government.. charities can benefit even more

You really think government (funded by citizen contributors) exists to pay for your personal well-being responsibility?

Last edited:

The irresponsible part is not doing everything you can to pay for it... getting your second job.. cutting out extras like cell phones, satellite TV, DVD players, restaurant meals, etc... also not planning for things with a savings account, paying for health insurance instead of an Escalade, etc

I can tell you from watching this system devastate people I've cared for over the last 25 years that what you describe is not the norm for those buried under healthcare debt.

Yes.. in actuality you do.... I have chosen to have procedures done at certain hospitals rather than others, even though they were farther away... some of those choices because of the facility, some based on cost, and yes even one because I found out that the elective surgery that I was having was much more expensive there... and I did do research and find out that that hospital was giving 'free' care in a clinic to illegals (it had been reported in the news a couple years before).. I discussed options with my doctor and decided on a private surgery center which was cheaper.. you can honestly deduce that one of the reasons it could be cheaper was because the private center was not handing out stuff to illegals and passing the cost off onto other patients

By law and by oath a doctor can not turn away a person in desperate need of care. Every single hospital treats its share of people that can not pay, and they in turn pay for that by increasing the cost of treatments.

Your argument that you can somehow avoid paying for those that can not pay for their own care is false.

And hence I went to a private surgery center.. and avoided such things.. they only do surgeries, planned surgeries... they do not give out free VD shots and look at your boo-boos.. and it was indeed cheaper to do it

Just as I chose to give the stitches needed to my own child... I avoided the charge for the emergency clinic or the ER.. and I chose not to deal with the deductible, which would have been more than what it cost me to give her 3 stitches myself
You do have choices... unfortunately you cannot avoid the overcharging institutions all the time... but you CAN reduce your support of the system that hands out care for those who don't do what is necessary to take care of their own responsibilities

Please tell me you are a doctor.

By law and by oath a doctor can not turn away a person in desperate need of care. Every single hospital treats its share of people that can not pay, and they in turn pay for that by increasing the cost of treatments.

Your argument that you can somehow avoid paying for those that can not pay for their own care is false.

And hence I went to a private surgery center.. and avoided such things.. they only do surgeries, planned surgeries... they do not give out free VD shots and look at your boo-boos.. and it was indeed cheaper to do it

Just as I chose to give the stitches needed to my own child... I avoided the charge for the emergency clinic or the ER.. and I chose not to deal with the deductible, which would have been more than what it cost me to give her 3 stitches myself
You do have choices... unfortunately you cannot avoid the overcharging institutions all the time... but you CAN reduce your support of the system that hands out care for those who don't do what is necessary to take care of their own responsibilities

Please tell me you are a doctor.

No.. Mom is an RN.. and I did field medic duties with the emergency med kits in the Army... given more than my share of stitches.. taken 'em out... not every little thing requires a Dr.

Hospitals DO come after you for payment through legal action. And sure, some will allow for "payment plans", require it to be paid within an absurdly short amount of time before they move on to collections.

They sure can be.

I can tell you from watching this system devastate people I've cared for over the last 25 years that what you describe is not the norm for those buried under healthcare debt.

And I can tell you that what you subscribe to, that others owe your personal well being and personal care to you at their expense, is not the standard as set in the foundation of our republic

It is still irresponsible for someone not to do what they can, all that they can, to pay for their own personal needs... it is more irresponsible when we see those people expect and accept 'assistance' when they still have money to spend on smokes, lottery tickets, cable TV, pizzas, video games, etc

But those facilities and hospitals should be allowed to take action (including legal action) to recover the monies they are owed by those who do not pay....

Just as some hospitals assist families in trying to find charities, foundations, etc that are willing to help with expenses... or are willing to put people on payment plans with little or no interest so that they may pay over time since they cannot afford to pay for it all at once

And please also remember that not all things covered by health insurance are emergency situations.. and that things the contributors would end up paying for, for the non-contributors, would increase

And it is and should continue to be their right to come after you.. whether you consider it to be 'absurdly short' amount of time or not... as you are not owed taking care of your personal well being by anyone else

And as for the planet I live on.. the same one I lived on when I was under the poverty line... when I did whatever I had to do to take care of myself, without thinking that everyone else owed it to me.. the same planet where my neighbor, with a very sick child with a genetic disorder, worked with the doctor and hospital financial counselor to hook up with a charitable organization to help with their son's expansive medical care costs... and the same planet where those neighbors did not insist that everyone else OWED it to them, where the dad worked a second career at night, sold his vehicles for cheap disposable cars, took out a loan, and slashed things out of their expenses until the charitable help kicked in

Tsk Tsk it would be so much easier- and ultimately better for our country- if you would forego your antiquated notion of responsibility and let government protect you from yourself. Right Emma and Nodog?

And I can tell you that what you subscribe to, that others owe your personal well being and personal care to you at their expense, is not the standard as set in the foundation of our republic

It is still irresponsible for someone not to do what they can, all that they can, to pay for their own personal needs... it is more irresponsible when we see those people expect and accept 'assistance' when they still have money to spend on smokes, lottery tickets, cable TV, pizzas, video games, etc
Yes, it is. And I'm telling you that the ones I've cared for over the years have been devastated, lost their savings, retirement, income, homes. I suppose that should make you feel so much better to know they were left with nothing.

They sure can be.

If I fail to get insurance, fail to save up for a medical emergency, and end up in an emergency room, how would you describe my decision-making process?
If you didn't have the resources to do so, or was denied insurance so that you couldn't have it regardless of ability to pay, how would you describe that?

No.. Mom is an RN.. and I did field medic duties with the emergency med kits in the Army... given more than my share of stitches.. taken 'em out... not every little thing requires a Dr.
That makes me feel a bit better.

So. Where did you get the sutures, needle, novacaine, etc.?

As stated.. Mom is an RN.. I have supplies still from the past... had no novacaine.. had I believe 4% topical lydocaine and some betadine to sterilize the area... like I said.. nothing that was too much a big deal in the situation.. except trying to calm the daughter down

Yes, it is. And I'm telling you that the ones I've cared for over the years have been devastated, lost their savings, retirement, income, homes. I suppose that should make you feel so much better to know they were left with nothing.

I am sure that is not the first time they were "victims"

They sure can be.

If I fail to get insurance, fail to save up for a medical emergency, and end up in an emergency room, how would you describe my decision-making process?
If you didn't have the resources to do so, or was denied insurance so that you couldn't have it regardless of ability to pay, how would you describe that?

If I didnt have the resources- more than likely i made a series of poor career moves. If I was denied insurance? Id have to know why. If its because I waited until I had cancer to try and get insurance- I'd say cry me a river.

many people are left with nothing for various reasons.... but.. whether you care if I lose all my savings or I care that you lose yours is not of any legal consequence... you are not owed that savings, just as you are not owed personal assistance for your personal responsibilities...

I can care and help out my friends who need it.. I can care and support a charity... I can care and start a fund raising drive... but you have no recourse to think you have the right to forcibly take it from me for your personal responsibility take take care of yourself

Yes it's so terrible that it actually manages to reduce costs,reduce the deficit,not raise taxes,and doesn't fine or imprison American Citizens for not having Health Insurance. Yea it's just so terrible. Hey I'll still take it over Reid & Pelosi's disastrous Behemoths any day.

But it doesn't decrease the deficit. It increases the deficit by $8 to $10 billion. And insures just 3 million more people.

I'm wondering ..... if you were actually HONEST about the bill, would you still favor it? Do you have to deceive yourself into thinking it reduces the deficit to be able to favor it or other proposals?

The republican plan would reduce premiums by about 10%, making it much more affordable for people and small business to insure themselves and their employees.

The problem which has existed is that health care premiums have continued to rise, making it unaffordable for millions of people. Get that cost reduced significantly and people will be able to afford it and they will purchase it.

It does not take a government take over to do this. There are private sector reforms that can take place that will significantly reduce the costs of health care insurance and increase the number of people who get health insurance, and reduce the deficit at the same time. That's what needs to happen here.

Anything short of accomplishing that will be a disaster for this country. The dems bill will only increase the taxes we pay on everything to support the public option, it will cause rationing and it will cut billions out of the medicare plan. It will also cost millions more to lose their jobs, business simply can't afford to pay an 8% payroll tax in fines to the government.

Last edited:

If I didnt have the resources- more than likely i made a series of poor career moves. If I was denied insurance? Id have to know why. If its because I waited until I had cancer to try and get insurance- I'd say cry me a river.

I know one person who came down with cancer, had no health insurance, and medicaid picked up the total cost of her treatment, hospitalization, everything. To say that people are denied health care because they do not have health insurance is absolutely absurd. It just doesn't happen.

Forum List

Back