Only Twice Has Impeachment Been Used. Both Politically Motivated

Andrew Johnson was trying to keep the Radical Republican kooks taking over the whole government and removing the Constitutional authority of the President. Plus, they were politicizing Reconstruction. He was not removed from office. Clinton was trapped by Starr investigation when asked under oath about an adulterous affair. He did what husbands have done for 1,000 years when busted cheating on their wives. He lied. Public found Clinton impeachment was a example of partisan politics gone too far. His approval was at 60% during impeachment. Many historians agree that had Lincoln not been assassinated the Radical Republicans would have impeached him. Lincoln did not agree with their proposed plan of action. It was after Lincoln’s death that he become defied. I don’t like frivolous impeachment’s. Democrats would be smart to back off such talk. We can’t go around trying to overturn elections because you don’t like the results.
The History Place - Presidential Impeachment Proceedings
Nixon would have been a true example of why to impeach a President. Crimes committed. I agree with the decision to let him step down and leave it at that, because the country was divided enough at that point. That was a clear example of what impeachment was for.
Democrats on Capitol Hill are lunatics. I think they want to impeach Nixon in abstentia.
Everyone on Capitol Hill is acting like a lunatic right now, Bush92. I was really surprised--I so looked forward to the Mueller investigation being over so we could finally talk about something else besides all the bullshit paranoia theories that have grown up beside it. Where it pretty much cleared the President of any serious wrong doing, at least as far as Russia goes, I thought the Republicans would be happy and just do their victory strut in the end zone and then move on. Nope. Now they want to investigate the investigation and the FBI and blah blah blah. Of course, I knew there would be some die hards on the left who would continue to call Trump guilty no matter what, same as we have the Hillary contingent on the right. But I never expected the Congress to be this wingnut crazy.

They need to get to work, imo, and leave all this tom foolishness behind.
You are correct. Time to move on and get some work done. But I do think that those people who fabricated the dossier or had anything to do with it should be brought to justice.

Andrew Johnson was trying to keep the Radical Republican kooks taking over the whole government and removing the Constitutional authority of the President. Plus, they were politicizing Reconstruction. He was not removed from office. Clinton was trapped by Starr investigation when asked under oath about an adulterous affair. He did what husbands have done for 1,000 years when busted cheating on their wives. He lied. Public found Clinton impeachment was a example of partisan politics gone too far. His approval was at 60% during impeachment. Many historians agree that had Lincoln not been assassinated the Radical Republicans would have impeached him. Lincoln did not agree with their proposed plan of action. It was after Lincoln’s death that he become defied. I don’t like frivolous impeachment’s. Democrats would be smart to back off such talk. We can’t go around trying to overturn elections because you don’t like the results.
Nixon would have been a true example of why to impeach a President. Crimes committed. I agree with the decision to let him step down and leave it at that, because the country was divided enough at that point. That was a clear example of what impeachment was for.
Democrats on Capitol Hill are lunatics. I think they want to impeach Nixon in abstentia.
Everyone on Capitol Hill is acting like a lunatic right now, Bush92. I was really surprised--I so looked forward to the Mueller investigation being over so we could finally talk about something else besides all the bullshit paranoia theories that have grown up beside it. Where it pretty much cleared the President of any serious wrong doing, at least as far as Russia goes, I thought the Republicans would be happy and just do their victory strut in the end zone and then move on. Nope. Now they want to investigate the investigation and the FBI and blah blah blah. Of course, I knew there would be some die hards on the left who would continue to call Trump guilty no matter what, same as we have the Hillary contingent on the right. But I never expected the Congress to be this wingnut crazy.

They need to get to work, imo, and leave all this tom foolishness behind.
You are correct. Time to move on and get some work done. But I do think that those people who fabricated the dossier or had anything to do with it should be brought to justice.
They didn't do anything wrong. Leave it.

People forget that Clinton also had a contempt of court charge in Arkansas that cost him almost $100K, was disbarred, and paid out $850K to Paula Jones to make that case go away. This was not just a political witchhunt. Dude was slime.
In Olmsted v. United States Justice Louis Brandies said that “by stating that the ends justifies the means” was a threat to our civil liberties. In other words, just because you don’t like the man does not mean he does not have rights. Clinton was and is a scumbag. No doubt about it. He got the contempt charge because he refused to participate in what he perceived as a witch hunt. That is not an admonition of guilt. In a civil suit the plaintiff(s) only have to show a “preponderance” of the evidence that a person had been wronged in some way and deserved “remedy.” By that time of that trial it was already proven that Clinton had lied about numerous affairs. Bottom line was that Clinton was impeached over what should have been a personal marital issue and the fact that he got some slobber jaw from an intern. I never liked that impeachment. Republicans gave Clinton an asterisk next to his name for all of history. Democrats will now do this to Trump. Sorry assed and sad...but true.

He got the contempt charge out of the lawsuit filed against him by Paula Jones who had long accused him. It had nothing to do with the witchhunt in Washington. He chose to settle the Paula Jones lawsuit. Nobody made him do it.

People forget that Clinton also had a contempt of court charge in Arkansas that cost him almost $100K, was disbarred, and paid out $850K to Paula Jones to make that case go away. This was not just a political witchhunt. Dude was slime.
Dude got a blow job

There is more than enough valid reason to impeach Trump - more than they had on either Clinton or Johnson., and once they get a hold of his tax returns, they'll be a mountain more on top of that.

They fact is:

The Dems DO NOT WANT to impeach Trump!

They desperately want to run against him in 2020. They just want plenty of political ammunition against him - then they'll let the voters decide.

If they play their cards right the Dems will control all 3 branches of government with a super majority in the Senate.

Of course, they WON'T play their cards right. They'll nominate someone that has no chance of winning the general election - someone as bad as Trump himself - like they did in the 2016 election.

There is more than enough valid reason to impeach Trump - more than they had on either Clinton or Johnson., and once they get a hold of his tax returns, they'll be a mountain more on top of that.

They fact is:

They desperately want to run against him in 2020. They just want plenty of political ammunition against him - then they'll let the voters decide.

If they play their cards right the Dems will control all 3 branches of government with a super majority in the Senate.

Of course, they WON'T play their cards right. They'll nominate someone that has no chance of winning the general election - someone as bad as Trump himself - like they did in the 2016 election.
Oh...the Democrats in the House do! Pelosi is holding the kooks Waters, Lee, Cortez, and the entourage of Marxist that want an impeachment. You are right, “high crimes and misdemeanors” bar is low...but does this mean we should overturn the 2016 election? The Democrats desperately wanted to run against Trump in 2016. Look what happened. :113:

The democrats love to say "Clinton was impeached for a blowjob!" but the fact is that he broke the law. His being an immoral scumbag was incidental to his crime.

The democrats love to say "Clinton was impeached for a blowjob!" but the fact is that he broke the law. His being an immoral scumbag was incidental to his crime.
But the law he clearly broke, does not, in my opinion, rise to the extreme measures and implications of overturning a Constitutional election. We’re talking about toppling a government. :eusa_snooty:

But the law he clearly broke, does not, in my opinion, rise to the extreme measures and implications of overturning a Constitutional election. We’re talking about toppling a government. :eusa_snooty:

Witness intimidate, tampering with evidence, and perjury are all very serious crimes.

They fact is:

Oh...the Democrats in the House do! Pelosi is holding the kooks Waters, Lee, Cortez, and the entourage of Marxist that want an impeachment. You are right, “high crimes and misdemeanors” bar is low...but does this mean we should overturn the 2016 election? The Democrats desperately wanted to run against Trump in 2016. Look what happened. :113:

By the standards applied to every other President in American history, there is plenty of valid reason for impeaching Trump. Congresspeople that put the rule of law above politics are the ones that want to move ahead with impeachment. It's Pelosi that's playing politics.

Trump won't have the Russians to ensure his election in 2020. So his chances are nil - unless the Dems nominate someone unelectable.

They fact is:

By the standards applied to every other President in American history, there is plenty of valid reason for impeaching Trump. Congresspeople that put the rule of law above politics are the ones that want to move ahead with impeachment. It's Pelosi that's playing politics.

Trump won't have the Russians to ensure his election in 2020. So his chances are nil - unless the Dems nominate someone unelectable.

Like a democrat.

Forum List

Back