One Way Trip to Mars...Would You Go?

Oh I'm on it.

Cheesy 1980s sci fi...the Last Starfighter is fun too....

Omg, wouldn't it be totally bizarre if it turned out you're my son? I always wonder if I ever run
Oh I'm on it.

Cheesy 1980s sci fi...the Last Starfighter is fun too....
For B grade Sci Fi, I always thought it pretty good.

The lead characters were very relatable to most 80s youths.
I think the 80's were the glory days of movies. There was still a little originality and special effects were coming into effect. Cheesy, good humored, and usually with a positive message.

Effort would be better spent establishing a moon base as jumping off point to test your designs. You would also be able to boost up a larger, better space ship in sections and provision it for a large crew.

Yep, moon is much better.

First, it's closer.

Second, vacuum has a advantage. You know absolutely the solar power will on there if the sun is up.

Ah, but the moon has a one-month day. Solar power will be off for two weeks at a time, right? Unless... you build at the poles, and put the solar panels on a tower. Then the sun would always be shining on the solar panels. The towers need only be around 600m high, given the moon's 1.5 degree inclination. In low gravity and without any weather, that's quite doable. We build radio towers bigger than that on earth. And if there was a lunar hill, that altitude would add in.

The thin CO2 atmosphere of Mars isn't much of a help. It's a carbon source, but carbon isn't what you'd run short of. Nitrogen is. You'd have to ship nitrogen in from earth to either spot, and the moon is much closer.

I would consider a visit to Mars, if that were possible. It's not a place I would want to go to live out my life and die. The conditions are way to harsh.

So the finalists have been named for a One-Way Trip to Mars. Is it suicide...heroic...stupid...daring? Mars One

I would do it...only if I had a guarantee that I would be able to copulate with a female in space.

But seriously, are these guys heroes or wanna be reality stars?

I wouldn't, and I disagree in the strongest terms there's a current need to sacrifice people sending them. Not gonna learn anything a remote couldn't tell you. Wanna see what happens to people stuck inside an aluminum cylinder the rest of their lives, can do that here.

How quickly would the nostalgia wear off and then you're stuck staring at red rock until death? Oh, hell no. So purposeless.

I wish 100% of the world's astro/theoretical physicists would work on time travel. To me, aside from health related shit, Aliens and the universe's origins, its the last great item of mystery to hash out.

Some Microsoft programmer was on the TV this morning, happy he was picked in the top 100 to go on a 21 people mission to inhabit Mars. What a goofy dude, he thought his tablet would keep him occupied.

If it's all private money I don't care but not a dime of public money should go to that pointless exercise. Humans need a lot of resources to sustain life.

Some Microsoft programmer was on the TV this morning, happy he was picked in the top 100 to go on a 21 people mission to inhabit Mars. What a goofy dude, he thought his tablet would keep him occupied.

If it's all private money I don't care but not a dime of public money should go to that pointless exercise. Humans need a lot of resources to sustain life.

Absolutely damn right.

I think the whole thing might be nothing but a scam to rip off donations. So far all they have done is put up a web site and make a couple of videos. They have done the selection process over the Internet. Maybe they will do a runner with the takings before they have to send up any rockets.

So the finalists have been named for a One-Way Trip to Mars. Is it suicide...heroic...stupid...daring? Mars One

I would do it...only if I had a guarantee that I would be able to copulate with a female in space.

I am to old and sickly to go but if I weren't I would go.

A related fantasy question - knowing that you would never see your home planet again, would you go with aliens, a la Cocoon?

Watched the old movie, Starman a couple of days ago. Would you help an alien get back to his ship? Would you take him in and protect him?

I hope I would.
I'd go with aliens but not to mars unless I thought I'd survive. Is there any chance they could live 30 years? Then no. Lol

I'd go if I could copulate with you.

A one way trip doesn't need to be a death sentence with the right infrastructure, science and tools! ;)

Make sure you have plenty of water and the means to make "more" air with it. Mars has plenty of water! Next, build a green house to grow your food.

Getting there is just part of the job.

Forum List

Back