"One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old." Christian homeschooling problems

Barely Literate How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids Alternet

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

A rare occurrence. Those homeschooled both as a group and as individuals regularly beat their public system counterparts academically into simpering bloody smears.

Perhaps a small portion of them do. If a child is going to college, he is required to take admittance tests, so a comparison is possible. A parent who is preparing their child for college is more likely to teach their child. What about the vast majority of home schooled kids for who college is never an option? Do you think their parents are always going to work as hard with the child's education? For those children, there is never a way to compare their education to others.
Please cite statistics that back up your claim that the majority of homeschooled kids don't have the option of going to college. They are better prepared than most government schooled kids.

Homeschool Outcomes - Coalition for Responsible Home Education
In a 2004 study, Belfield found that less than one third as many SAT takers self-reported as homeschooled students as should have been expected given the number of children homeschooled at the time.
How does that mean they don't have the option of going to college?

Most don't receive an education anywhere near the quality required to enter college. It was never a goal, and the effort put into teaching them reflects that.

A rare occurrence. Those homeschooled both as a group and as individuals regularly beat their public system counterparts academically into simpering bloody smears.

Perhaps a small portion of them do. If a child is going to college, he is required to take admittance tests, so a comparison is possible. A parent who is preparing their child for college is more likely to teach their child. What about the vast majority of home schooled kids for who college is never an option? Do you think their parents are always going to work as hard with the child's education? For those children, there is never a way to compare their education to others.
Please cite statistics that back up your claim that the majority of homeschooled kids don't have the option of going to college. They are better prepared than most government schooled kids.

Homeschool Outcomes - Coalition for Responsible Home Education
In a 2004 study, Belfield found that less than one third as many SAT takers self-reported as homeschooled students as should have been expected given the number of children homeschooled at the time.
How does that mean they don't have the option of going to college?

Most don't receive an education anywhere near the quality required to enter college. It was never a goal, and the effort put into teaching them reflects that.

How do you know?

Odd, considering my college adviser for four Gateway Technical Colleges in WI told me personally that they prefer homeschooled students because they consistently bring with them higher grades.

Not everyone who is homeschooled is religious, and even then that in no way means the standards are lowered. I daresay in the public school system the standards are lowered for minority children so they can pass, otherwise people scream it's nothing but racism.

If you guys want to bring an ACTUAL, valid concern against homeschooling, don't even try to go the grading route. Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, you go against homeschooling on the socialization front. I was homeschooled, and no one in my vicinity who was publicly-schooled could hold a candle to my grades... but, they were far more social than I was. Sure, I could get into virtually any college or university I could afford, but I wasn't exactly a social butterfly. Then again, my situation was extreme, in that I had a brilliant but very cold, controlling, and abusive father who would not shell out gas money to even let me socialize with others my own age. No, I was always around adults.

Don't combat homeschooling when it comes to grades. It's not going to work. Bring to light the fact that socialization is key, and that not enough homeschoolers get that vital experience [socialization] that is so damned important. Only after working in a hospital for seven months did I really come out of my massive shell and am basically a fat and happy social butterfly who works with many, many different patients and coworkers each day. Homeschooling needs to acknowledge the extreme value of good, decent socialization and GET THOSE KIDS BUSY socializing in a WHOLESOME environment. Being homeschooled, I didn't catch STDs, or have sex out of wedlock, or get stoned, or break the law, or stay up late and party, or otherwise do really stupid f***ing things. I WOULD have benefited from a lot more wholesome socialization. Then again, the reason I was homeschooled is that when I was young I suffered from ADHD and was viciously bullied, to the point where my skin had been ripped off from wet, rolled up towels whipping my skin in swim class.

If my wife and I decide to homeschool [we'll not be going the religious route] we'll be keeping their hands from going idle, and making sure our little ones stay busy in the community. When they're 13, 14, 15 we'll be having them donate their time working them, having them help charities, feeding the homeless, etc. Then when they're 15 they'll be going to get their CNA certifications, and we'll be guiding them along the paths we deem to be alright. Knowing all of the fuck-ups and mistakes and lost opportunites I made in my youthful immaturity, I'll be damned if my blood is allowed to repeat that same cycle.

Odd, considering my college adviser for four Gateway Technical Colleges in WI told me personally that they prefer homeschooled students because they consistently bring with them higher grades.

Not everyone who is homeschooled is religious, and even then that in no way means the standards are lowered. I daresay in the public school system the standards are lowered for minority children so they can pass, otherwise people scream it's nothing but racism.

If you guys want to bring an ACTUAL, valid concern against homeschooling, don't even try to go the grading route. Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, you go against homeschooling on the socialization front. I was homeschooled, and no one in my vicinity who was publicly-schooled could hold a candle to my grades... but, they were far more social than I was. Sure, I could get into virtually any college or university I could afford, but I wasn't exactly a social butterfly. Then again, my situation was extreme, in that I had a brilliant but very cold, controlling, and abusive father who would not shell out gas money to even let me socialize with others my own age. No, I was always around adults.

Don't combat homeschooling when it comes to grades. It's not going to work. Bring to light the fact that socialization is key, and that not enough homeschoolers get that vital experience [socialization] that is so damned important. Only after working in a hospital for seven months did I really come out of my massive shell and am basically a fat and happy social butterfly who works with many, many different patients and coworkers each day. Homeschooling needs to acknowledge the extreme value of good, decent socialization and GET THOSE KIDS BUSY socializing in a WHOLESOME environment. Being homeschooled, I didn't catch STDs, or have sex out of wedlock, or get stoned, or break the law, or stay up late and party, or otherwise do really stupid f***ing things. I WOULD have benefited from a lot more wholesome socialization. Then again, the reason I was homeschooled is that when I was young I suffered from ADHD and was viciously bullied, to the point where my skin had been ripped off from wet, rolled up towels whipping my skin in swim class.

If my wife and I decide to homeschool [we'll not be going the religious route] we'll be keeping their hands from going idle, and making sure our little ones stay busy in the community. When they're 13, 14, 15 we'll be having them donate their time working them, having them help charities, feeding the homeless, etc. Then when they're 15 they'll be going to get their CNA certifications, and we'll be guiding them along the paths we deem to be alright. Knowing all of the fuck-ups and mistakes and lost opportunites I made in my youthful immaturity, I'll be damned if my blood is allowed to repeat that same cycle.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your children's education. Unfortunately, many don't, and there is nothing to make them.

My father was a computer engineer, and would oversee my progress as my mother gave me my books and tests. She did not understand the coursework that well, but my father did, and he observed as I basically devoured my books on my own without having to be taught or lectured, and my mother would simply give me my tests and I'd promptly go through it like a fat boy on braunschweiger. Dad would also have me disassemble computers and other technology and have me put them back together, and when I was really bored he'd show me how to create computer board chips and how to connect it all together. Mainly in my youth I was fascinated by the idea of gathering up old computers and dissolving the chips with aqua regia so I could nab a few nifty pieces of gold.

Other plans for the kids is setting up $1000 IRAs years before they're even conceived; got the first two readied. Knowing how much of a dear little s*** I was as an ADHD-modeled kid on sugar I want to keep them real f***ing busy and away from sugar, video games, and general teenage stupidity. I want to build their character: mold the little rugrats like clay. Have them do some honest chores like gardening, raking, and sending them out to help our elderly neighbors with whatever they need help with [that's how I started out before getting into home-care, then CNA-hospital work, and now nursing school].

My father was a computer engineer, and would oversee my progress as my mother gave me my books and tests. She did not understand the coursework that well, but my father did, and he observed as I basically devoured my books on my own without having to be taught or lectured, and my mother would simply give me my tests and I'd promptly go through it like a fat boy on braunschweiger. Dad would also have me disassemble computers and other technology and have me put them back together, and when I was really bored he'd show me how to create computer board chips and how to connect it all together. Mainly in my youth I was fascinated by the idea of gathering up old computers and dissolving the chips with aqua regia so I could nab a few nifty pieces of gold.

Other plans for the kids is setting up $1000 IRAs years before they're even conceived; got the first two readied. Knowing how much of a dear little s*** I was as an ADHD-modeled kid on sugar I want to keep them real f***ing busy and away from sugar, video games, and general teenage stupidity. I want to build their character: mold the little rugrats like clay. Have them do some honest chores like gardening, raking, and sending them out to help our elderly neighbors with whatever they need help with [that's how I started out before getting into home-care, then CNA-hospital work, and now nursing school].

Good for you. My daughter started as a CNA. and went the nursing rout to Nurse/Practitioner level. She is now in medical school. I call her my little retirement program. However, that has nothing to do with the tragic loss for home schooled kids whose parents can't, or just don't want to give them a proper education.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your children's education. Unfortunately, many don't, and there is nothing to make them.
Most home-schooled kids have parents who care about their kids' educations otherwise their achievements would not be so noteworthy. OTOH, there are far too many parents who DON'T care about their kids' education and assume that a government school will give them one, thus setting them up for failure. The determining factor is parental involvement. Since home-schooling requires a lot more effort, home-schooled kids tend to excel. As always, there are those who do not put the effort into it, and end up with poorly educated kids, either way.

Most home-schooled kids have parents who care about their kids' educations otherwise their achievements would not be so noteworthy. OTOH, there are far too many parents who DON'T care about their kids' education and assume that a government school will give them one, thus setting them up for failure. The determining factor is parental involvement. Since home-schooling requires a lot more effort, home-schooled kids tend to excel. As always, there are those who do not put the effort into it, and end up with poorly educated kids, either way.

For most home schooled kids, there is never even an objective evaluation of their education.

For most home schooled kids, there is never even an objective evaluation of their education.
Again, cite your source for "most".

Again, cite your source for "most".

Already cited twice.

How do you know? You keep mouthing off like you are quite certain, but it's clear you are just talking out of your ass.

When I hear this, I remember how our public school system has and continues to be infused with liberal and progressive ideology. "Objective." Objective? I don't believe that.

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why their church allow the children to be illiterate so long? They are christian! They are MUST be able to read the bible!

Um, Christianity existed long before universal literacy did. Hell, before King James of England, the Bible wasn't even available in English. Some churches prefer for their parishioners to not read for themselves, but simply take their ministers' word for it.

When/If you take astronomy in college, "God made the Earth" stands exposed as one of a multitude of falsehoods. :) So forbid kids from taking astronomy is what ya do if you want em to be religious.

What astronomy class did YOU take? I don't recall ever hearing one mention the issue, let alone prove or disprove anything about it.

If you have some definitive proof that God did not make the Earth, you should really be sharing it.

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

the only reason most people homeschool is they're afraid their children will meet other people who don't think like them or actually learn science instead of the bible.

Wrong. I homeschooled both of my older children because our local public schools suck giant, floppy donkey dick. I wouldn't send my dog to most schools in TUSD for obedience training.

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

the only reason most people homeschool is they're afraid their children will meet other people who don't think like them or actually learn science instead of the bible.

Article actually mentions the homeschooling is popular among evangelicals who 'fear their chidlren will grow up to become humanists and atheists.' :) Stands out to me as amusing since I identify with humanism and atheism. :)

that is funny. kids learn a lot of things when they leave the nest. obviously they don't think much of their religion if they think it can't withstand outside influences. i'm just not sure how keeping kids ignorant is good parenting.
Which is why you want to homeschool them, so they actually learn. You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids by and large outperform their government schooled peers by large margins?

my public school taught son can outthink pretty much any person who is homeschooled and thinks the world is 5,000 years old.

Yes, you're a huge argument in favor of the belief that an offspring of yours is brilliant. :cuckoo:

that is funny. kids learn a lot of things when they leave the nest. obviously they don't think much of their religion if they think it can't withstand outside influences. i'm just not sure how keeping kids ignorant is good parenting.
Which is why you want to homeschool them, so they actually learn. You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids by and large outperform their government schooled peers by large margins?

my public school taught son can outthink pretty much any person who is homeschooled and thinks the world is 5,000 years old.
Really? What accelerated programs did he excel in? You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids are often ready for college 1 to 2 years before government schooled ones? It's hard to argue with success.
Ready for college, true, but often, never had a date, never will have a date.

That is completely bogus. There are home school groups which arrange activities so that kids are socialized. It is also not UNHEARD of to meet people at church activities.

The entire world is not made up of Public School.

If my kid is socializing in class, then that's not a very good class.

I frankly don't think very highly of school "socialization", anyway. It's virtually the only time in your life when you're thrown together with people based on no commonality other than age, and frankly doesn't set up a very realistic framework for interaction in the rest of your life.

Better to get your kids involved in sports, or clubs, or some sort of activity.

rest at link

I call blind stupidity on that one.

You forget things like autism and ADD, which make it difficult, if not impossible for a kid to learn in an environment where it's more important he/she learns to sit down and shut up than to be educated.

A friend of mine is a school psychologist in a wealthy district in Silicon Valley. She has horror stories about disabled and austic kids disrupting class rooms. Their parents threaten to sue if they aren't "mainstreamed", so the pathetic school administration allows it. One boy actually sat in class and masturbated. I doubt the kids learned much else during that year. If I had children in that district, they'd be in private schools, or taught at home.

Did the kid who masturbated then pay better attention than they did before? :)

If he was male, he probably fell asleep afterward. :woohoo:

rest at link

Wrong. I homeschooled both of my older children because our local public schools suck giant, floppy donkey dick. I wouldn't send my dog to most schools in TUSD for obedience training.

yokie dokie. like i said....

I call blind stupidity on that one.

You forget things like autism and ADD, which make it difficult, if not impossible for a kid to learn in an environment where it's more important he/she learns to sit down and shut up than to be educated.

A friend of mine is a school psychologist in a wealthy district in Silicon Valley. She has horror stories about disabled and austic kids disrupting class rooms. Their parents threaten to sue if they aren't "mainstreamed", so the pathetic school administration allows it. One boy actually sat in class and masturbated. I doubt the kids learned much else during that year. If I had children in that district, they'd be in private schools, or taught at home.

Did the kid who masturbated then pay better attention than they did before? :)

He was an autistic kid who didn't belong in the classroom - all he accomplished was self-pleasure and exhibitionism.
I have had severely disabled kids that could not read, write or talk, in classes with their own personal attendants, with kids with long criminal records, when I taught in the Alternative Schools.

I remember one, who was just a bit shy of being a mental vegetable.

Needless to say, the female aide could not go to the restroom with him, and I soon started hearing tales of him getting abuse.

About that time, I had had enough of the Alternative Scam, wrote his mom a letter saying the environment was not safe for her kid, and I retired.

I still see them now and again, he still recognizes me, but still can't speak.

I wonder what happens to them when they outlive their parents?

Unless they have another relative who's willing to take care of them, they're institutionalized.

Forum List

Back