One less "Enemy of the People"

And we have a president declaring that journalists are an enemy of the people

Wow....and we also have that Saudi dissident journalist who disappeared after entering the Saudi Consulate in Turkey and presumed murdered :(

There is a worldwide increase in populist authoritarianism and an erosion of democracy and western liberal values. With that is a corresponding attack on journalistic freedom and the lives of journalists around the world.

World Press Freedom Index 2018: Europe turning into crisis region for journalists | DW | 25.04.2018

Hostility toward journalists and media poses a serious threat to democracies around the world, including within Europe, the media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF) announced in its 2018 World Press Freedom Index on Wednesday.

As a region, Europe still ranks the highest on RSF's index, but its rating also dropped more than that of any other region this year.

Four of the top five countries where press freedom deteriorated the most are in Europe.

Malta, Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Serbia all fell substantially. The watchdog voiced particular concern about the murder of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia in Malta, followed by the killing of investigative reporter Jan Kuciak just five months later in Slovakia.

With the rise of populist politics and "strongman" leaders, Europe's downward trend will likely continue, according to RSF. Last year, Czech President Milos Zeman showed up at a press conference with a fake Kalashnikov bearing the words "for journalists." Robert Fico, who resigned as Slovakia's prime minister in March, called journalists "filthy, anti-Slovak prostitutes" and "idiotic hyenas."

Don't you feel that way about Alex Jones, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity? Your side is doing everything in its power to defund them.

Umh...really? Defund them? How?

Fox News is still journalism...somewhat. The rest are opinion shows, not journalists. I totally defend there right to free speech and in a world with thousands of platforms and spaces to promote their views they can and they do. I would not however credit them as journalists.

Don't you feel that way about Alex Jones, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity? Your side is doing everything in its power to defund them.

Fox News is still journalism...somewhat. The rest are opinion shows, not journalists. I totally defend there right to free speech and in a world with thousands of platforms and spaces to promote their views they can and they do. I would not however credit them as journalists.

So, you disavow the movement to ban these voices from social media?

I am impressed.

Here we have journalists that are enemies of the people.
No. They are not.

Yes. They are.
Well...then I suspect you fully support the war on journalistic freedom going on. In the name of “enemies of the people” of course.

What are you talking about?

So, you disavow the movement to ban these voices from social media?

I am impressed.

You mean from privately owned entities? Are you suggesting the government should interfere in private business? Why how leftist of you! Besides I see no indication that Fox News, Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck are banned on those platforms.

Forum List

Back