One in Five

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimmyeatworld, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I keep hearing the Democrats throw out a statistic about Iraq and the 9/11 attack. Not sure where they get it as they rarely provide sources, but they keep saying 1 out of every 5 Americans think Iraq attacked us on September 11, 2001. This stat could be true, despite the fact that President Bush clearly stated more than once that there was no evidense of Iraq's direct involvement in the attack.

Ok, so 20% of American's think Iraq was behind the 9/11 attack and, of course, the Dems are trying to blame that on the Bush administration. I just thought it might be fun to take a look at what else Americans think.

*According to a Gallup poll, 53% of Americans between 18-29 don't know who we fought in Europe during World War 2.

*Also according to a Gallup poll, 13% believe creatures such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster exist.

*Fifty-one percent believe they have some form of ESP.

*Two percent believe they have been abducted by aliens.

*Ten percent didn't know George Washington was the first president

*Twenty-two percent didn't know the United States won it's independence from England. (Fourteen percent thought it was France, 1% thought it was Canada.)

*Four percent of American teenagers didn't know George W. Bush was President of the United States.

*In a recent survey held in the San Francisco area, roughly 50% of high school students responding knew that July 4th had something to do with America's independence. Less than half knew the U.S. won their independence from England.

*Six percent of Americans believe employers should be allowed to listen in on employee telephone conversations.

Well, you get the idea. For years people have only been half way paying attention and getting strange ideas about history and the things around them. Plus, attention spans are getting smaller and smaller. Can't blame that on anybody but the people themselves.

I have my own experience with this. On a trivia site, I put together a quiz asking about the year things happened. I would name an event, the person taking the quiz would guess the year. The first question centered around the terrorist attack and the destruction of the twin towers. I thought it was a "gimme" question, everyone should get it right. You know what? Four percent of the people taking that quiz didn't know it happened in 2001.

2. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Then, again, they could have clicked the wrong button, lol!

I do that sometimes.:alco:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Well, I will admit that on Sept. 11th, when I seen that 2nd plane hit the building and knew the first wasn't an accident, I thought it was Iraq, without Pres. Bush saying word one. But this is because my husband fought in the Gulf War and I listened for 9 years to how Saddam has threatened to kill all Westerners. And call me stupid, but it doesn't matter what the 9/11 commision says, the Democrats say, or even George Bush says, I will continue to believe, somehow, someway, Saddam had something to do with it.

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    There were a couple of polls taken at the beginning of 04 that had 7 in 10 people believing that hussein was directly responsible for 9/11. There were numerous articles on it about that time.

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    What a laugh. If it had been France, it would've ended with the Declaration of Independance. If it had been Canada, it would've ended sooner than that.

On a side note, my Uncle has a British friend who immigrated here, and this year, he celebrated his first 4th of July. Up until that point, he always got together with some other Brits and had a loser's party.

6. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yep, this is quite old...

7. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Source?

8. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
  9. Jimmyeatworld

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I would have to say the same thing. Some of my first thoughts went to Hussien and my gut feeling is still that he was in there some where, though it may just have been financially.
    My point in posting this was to say that pulling out all these stats about this percentage thinks this and this percentage thinks that isn't always going to give the whole story. The 53% that think they have some form of ESP is a good example. It depends on how the question was asked and exactly what they were talking about. I get weird feelings sometimes that turn out to be right, but I don't think I have ESP. Things like that could have been considered "some form of ESP" in that poll.

I guess I should have pointed out that there are people like you and me that have our own beliefs and opinions about an indirect involvement. Take those people out of that 20% and the numbers probably fall to about 1 in 10. That's still 10% of people that get their news by reading the headlines on their Yahoo homepage or whatever the guy next to them tells them at work.

10. Jimmyeatworld

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    True, but 4% is kind of high. There had to be some of them that just got it wrong.