someone has some 'splaining to do.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DKSuddeth, Jul 9, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Defense Department destroys some Bush military records

In a letter responding to a freedom of information request by The Associated Press, the Defense Department said that microfilm containing the pertinent National Guard payroll records was damaged and could not be salvaged. The damaged material included payroll records for the first quarter of 1969 and the third quarter of 1972.

"President Bush's payroll records for those two quarters were among the records destroyed," wrote C.Y. Talbott, of the Pentagon's Freedom of Information and Security Review section. "Searches for back-up paper copies of the missing records were unsuccessful."

2. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Kinda meaningless unless we know when the records were lost/destroyed dontcha think?

I mean if it was a recent deal, the ok, we've got an issue. If it was several years ago, then what is the point?

Kinda like AP to run a story and leave out a fairly significant fact. IMO

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    it doesn't matter whether it was a 'recent' occurrence or not. Were they unsalvageable before, or after, his records were released during the last political hayday about it and if before, why wasn't it mentioned then, and if after, why weren't they released with the others?

4. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Again - until there is a timeframe for their demise - any debate would be rhetorical and moot.

There is no frame of reference and all this does is imply some nefarious intent.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Maybe someone made a mistake DK.

Not time for conspiracies yet , is it?

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    This happened to a lot of records. I recently sent off a request to the DOD for a copy of my father's military records (he has passed so as a relative I have a right to get a free copy) and I received a notice stating that his records had been destroyed in a fire. So somebody is trying to make something out of nothing. A lot of military records were destroyed (oh and by the way, my father was in the National Guard too so maybe it was that part of the records building that burned or something).

7. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    according to the article, heres a timeframe:

The letter said that in 1996 and 1997, the Pentagon "engaged with limited success in a project to salvage deteriorating microfilm." During the process, "the microfilm payroll records of numerous service members were damaged," the letter said.

This process resulted in "the inadvertent destruction of microfilm containing certain National Guard payroll records," including Bush's, the letter said.

as the church lady on SNL would say 'how con-veeeeen-ient'

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Perhaps Bush was like MILLIONS of veterans (including myself) and had copies made of his records before those being held by the government were destroyed. I remember before I ETS'd, I took my medical files and had copies made of every scrap of paper (never know what kind of service related injury might come back to haunt you in your old age). I also copied all my personnel records. So again, there is nothing there DK. Sorry! :(

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You can tell you have never served a day in uniform. Records get destroyed all the time (probably not as much these days due to computers, etc.).

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    i guess that 6 years of active duty marine corps was just a figment of everyones imagination, right? :rolleyes: