Votes: 4 26.7%
  • there's no problem with safety in the workplace

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
When the issue of workplace safety is discussed, do you tend to believe that a vigorous OSHA is what it takes to protect workers? Or, do you believe that workers should be trained and organized to prevent workplace accidents? If it's the latter, do you believe that trade unions should take the yeoman's share of the responsibility, or that the employer should handle this without 'interference' from a government agency?

My point is to ask: if you feel that agencies like OSHA are too intrusive, trade unions are altogether bad, would you still say you are genuinely concerned about workplace safety?

Do you believe that private industry has a sterling track record vis-a-vis worker safety? Would you hold employers responsible for lost time workplace accidents?

As bad a rap as OSHA takes, they have made significant progress in reducing workplace injuries and deaths. As little as 30 years ago it was accepted that injuries were part of the job. If you didn't like it, you could find work elsewhere. Now deaths on the job are rare events.

Osha makes polices, but lots of folks ignore them. Fundamentally, it is the worker's responsibility to take care of his own tools and his own safety. No one else cares as much.

What OSHA has done is to reduce the threat of "Do stupid or get canned."

When the issue of workplace safety is discussed, do you tend to believe that a vigorous OSHA is what it takes to protect workers? Or, do you believe that workers should be trained and organized to prevent workplace accidents? If it's the latter, do you believe that trade unions should take the yeoman's share of the responsibility, or that the employer should handle this without 'interference' from a government agency?

My point is to ask: if you feel that agencies like OSHA are too intrusive, trade unions are altogether bad, would you still say you are genuinely concerned about workplace safety?

Do you believe that private industry has a sterling track record vis-a-vis worker safety? Would you hold employers responsible for lost time workplace accidents?

The quiz only works if it allows for multiple answers!

As bad a rap as OSHA takes, they have made significant progress in reducing workplace injuries and deaths. As little as 30 years ago it was accepted that injuries were part of the job. If you didn't like it, you could find work elsewhere. Now deaths on the job are rare events.

I'm with you here. It seems at times though they need to learn when to back off. The company I work for is very safety oriented and any suggestions made by OSHA are followed. There are times that you become so safe it is near impossible to do a menial task set in front of you. If I have to weld something on the floor, I have to have a guy for fire watch along with a burn permit from a supervisor. I then must wear a ton of safety gear that is entirely unnecessary for most tasks. Then I must stay at the spot I welded for a half hour and after that I have to check that area every 15 minutes for the first hour and every 1/2 hour after that for 3 hours. An insane waste of company money and very tedious when trying to continue your work day.

OSHA puts forth standards for exposure to hazardous compounds. The research for these standards is generally conducted by NIOSH (National Institutes for Occupational Safety and Health) NIOSH uses science to determine the standards for OSHA requirements.

Dance through the NIOSH pocket guide for hazardous compounds sometime. You will see some striking differences with the OSHA standards. Why? Because rather than pure science, OSHA is required to hold public hearings on any changes to their standards. The reason there is such a disparity is the influence of industry watering done the NIOSH standards to be more economically compatible with their agenda.

Industry is not concerned with the health and well being of their workers. Workers are merely another commodity to be priced based on supply and demand.

Most Conservatives are working class, yet they wholeheartedly support the whims of industry...even while their very lives and health rest in the bargain. Makes me wonder why they would be so willing to give industry this much power over their very lives while decrying any government regulations as "intrusive".

Osha makes polices, but lots of folks ignore them. Fundamentally, it is the worker's responsibility to take care of his own tools and his own safety. No one else cares as much.

Actually, by law, it's the employer's responsibility, not the workers.

I'm with you here. It seems at times though they need to learn when to back off. The company I work for is very safety oriented and any suggestions made by OSHA are followed. There are times that you become so safe it is near impossible to do a menial task set in front of you. If I have to weld something on the floor, I have to have a guy for fire watch along with a burn permit from a supervisor. I then must wear a ton of safety gear that is entirely unnecessary for most tasks. Then I must stay at the spot I welded for a half hour and after that I have to check that area every 15 minutes for the first hour and every 1/2 hour after that for 3 hours. An insane waste of company money and very tedious when trying to continue your work day.
Are there flammable materials in your area? Is there proper ventilation? Grounding systems and electrical lock outs?

Would you rather weld naked?

OSHA puts forth standards for exposure to hazardous compounds. The research for these standards is generally conducted by NIOSH (National Institutes for Occupational Safety and Health) NIOSH uses science to determine the standards for OSHA requirements.

Dance through the NIOSH pocket guide for hazardous compounds sometime. You will see some striking differences with the OSHA standards. Why? Because rather than pure science, OSHA is required to hold public hearings on any changes to their standards. The reason there is such a disparity is the influence of industry watering done the NIOSH standards to be more economically compatible with their agenda.

Industry is not concerned with the health and well being of their workers. Workers are merely another commodity to be priced based on supply and demand.

Most Conservatives are working class, yet they wholeheartedly support the whims of industry...even while their very lives and health rest in the bargain. Makes me wonder why they would be so willing to give industry this much power over their very lives while decrying any government regulations as "intrusive".

they're just not as smart as you are, i guess.

seems pretty unlikely to me, but i can't think of another explanation.

Are there flammable materials in your area? Is there proper ventilation? Grounding systems and electrical lock outs?

If it wasn't for that last question I would gladly have answered your questions. Since you want to be snooty I will hold comments and thank you for your concern.

If it wasn't for that last question I would gladly have answered your questions. Since you want to be snooty I will hold comments and thank you for your concern.
I'm not being 'snooty'! I'm just curious if you think the regulations are too strict and would like them rolled back. And if so, how far?

Sorry if you took my response as a pejorative.

I think it is both the Employer(er) and the Employee's(ee) responsibilty. I voted employer since I can't pick two options and no one picked Er yet.

The Er has a responsibility to provide a safe working environment. The Er also has the responsibility to train their Ee on safe working techniques and other job related safety matters.

The Ee also has a responsibility to due diligence as far as being safe at work and following safety rules and guidelines as set forth by the Er and laws.

Nekkid welding is fun. Only pansies wear leathers.

I weld in a t-shirt and shorts in the summer...and the welding is above my head.

You should see what my shirts and hat look like :lol:

Sometimes I wear the leathers but thats usually only when cutting manifolds above my head as the ferrous metal tends to hold heat real well and spark a lot.

Actually, by law, it's the employer's responsibility, not the workers.

What industry are you currently working in or have worked in?

Forum List

Back