On workplace safety...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Nosmo King, Feb 3, 2010.

?

The responsibility for workplace safety is:

1. a federal standard based on careful study

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. a trade union

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. the employer

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. the individual worker

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. there's no problem with safety in the workplace

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,321
    When the issue of workplace safety is discussed, do you tend to believe that a vigorous OSHA is what it takes to protect workers? Or, do you believe that workers should be trained and organized to prevent workplace accidents? If it's the latter, do you believe that trade unions should take the yeoman's share of the responsibility, or that the employer should handle this without 'interference' from a government agency?

My point is to ask: if you feel that agencies like OSHA are too intrusive, trade unions are altogether bad, would you still say you are genuinely concerned about workplace safety?

Do you believe that private industry has a sterling track record vis-a-vis worker safety? Would you hold employers responsible for lost time workplace accidents?

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,429
    As bad a rap as OSHA takes, they have made significant progress in reducing workplace injuries and deaths. As little as 30 years ago it was accepted that injuries were part of the job. If you didn't like it, you could find work elsewhere. Now deaths on the job are rare events.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Osha makes polices, but lots of folks ignore them. Fundamentally, it is the worker's responsibility to take care of his own tools and his own safety. No one else cares as much.

What OSHA has done is to reduce the threat of "Do stupid or get canned."

4. Contessa_Sharra

Contessa_Sharra Searcher for Accuracy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    The quiz only works if it allows for multiple answers!

5. Conspiracist

Conspiracist Snuggle weather rocks!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I'm with you here. It seems at times though they need to learn when to back off. The company I work for is very safety oriented and any suggestions made by OSHA are followed. There are times that you become so safe it is near impossible to do a menial task set in front of you. If I have to weld something on the floor, I have to have a guy for fire watch along with a burn permit from a supervisor. I then must wear a ton of safety gear that is entirely unnecessary for most tasks. Then I must stay at the spot I welded for a half hour and after that I have to check that area every 15 minutes for the first hour and every 1/2 hour after that for 3 hours. An insane waste of company money and very tedious when trying to continue your work day.

6. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,321
    OSHA puts forth standards for exposure to hazardous compounds. The research for these standards is generally conducted by NIOSH (National Institutes for Occupational Safety and Health) NIOSH uses science to determine the standards for OSHA requirements.

Dance through the NIOSH pocket guide for hazardous compounds sometime. You will see some striking differences with the OSHA standards. Why? Because rather than pure science, OSHA is required to hold public hearings on any changes to their standards. The reason there is such a disparity is the influence of industry watering done the NIOSH standards to be more economically compatible with their agenda.

Industry is not concerned with the health and well being of their workers. Workers are merely another commodity to be priced based on supply and demand.

Most Conservatives are working class, yet they wholeheartedly support the whims of industry...even while their very lives and health rest in the bargain. Makes me wonder why they would be so willing to give industry this much power over their very lives while decrying any government regulations as "intrusive".

7. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    So far only two of us answered with any degree of intelligence.

8. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,321
    Actually, by law, it's the employer's responsibility, not the workers.

9. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,321
    Let's let this ride for a while. A time-weighted average, so to speak.

10. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,321
    Are there flammable materials in your area? Is there proper ventilation? Grounding systems and electrical lock outs?

Would you rather weld naked?