On Those Tax Cuts, Kerry Would Roll Back

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/04/0604/062804.html

A minor political note, if you’re interested in such things. The other day a young girl came to the door to solicit my support for her presidential candidate. I asked her why I should vote for this man. She was very nice and earnest, but if you got her off the talking points she was utterly unprepared to argue anything, because she didn’t know what she was talking about. She had bullet points, and she believed that any reasonable person would see the importance of these issues and naturally fall in line. But she could not support any of her assertions. Her final selling point: Kerry would roll back the tax cuts.

Then came the Parable of the Stairs, of course. My tiresome, shopworn, oft-told tale, a piece of unsupportable meaningless anecdotal drivel about how I turned my tax cut into a nice staircase that replaced a crumbling eyesore, hired a few people and injected money far and wide - from the guys who demolished the old stairs, the guys who built the new one, the family firm that sold the stone, the other firm that rented the Bobcats, the entrepreneur who fabricated the railings in his garage, and the guy who did the landscaping. Also the company that sold him the plants. And the light fixtures. It’s called economic activity. What’s more, home improvements added to the value of this pile, which mean that my assessment would increase, bumping up my property taxes. To say nothing of the general beautification of the neighborhood. Next year, if my taxes didn’t shoot up, I had another project planned. Raise my taxes, and it won’t happen – I won’t hire anyone, and they won’t hire anyone, rent anything, buy anything. You see?

“Well, it’s a philosophical difference,” she sniffed. She had pegged me as a form of life last seen clilcking the leash off a dog at Abu Ghraib. “I think the money should have gone straight to those people instead of trickling down.” Those last two words were said with an edge.

“But then I wouldn’t have hired them,” I said. “I wouldn’t have new steps. And they wouldn’t have done anything to get the money.”

“Well, what did you do?” she snapped.

“What do you mean?”

“Why should the government have given you the money in the first place?”

“They didn’t give it to me. They just took less of my money.”

That was the last straw. Now she was angry. And the truth came out:

“Well, why is it your money? I think it should be their money.”

Then she left.

And walked down the stairs. I let her go without charging a toll. It’s the philanthropist in me.

Originally posted by Syntax_Divinity
There are morons among the ranks of any ideology.

But this kind of inability to make points is more typical of libs. Conservatives generally have their ducks in a row.

Originally posted by Syntax_Divinity
This is just what I'm talking about. You have no way of possibly substantiating that assertion.

THousands of threads on this forum are proof. in the face of fact and REASONABLE analysis, libs devolve into senseless generalities and character attacks, as you've already done unprovokedly.

Why shouldn't the U.N. have enforced their own 17 resolutions against saddam?

I tend to agree with RWA on this one. Liberals in general have shown a general inability to prove ones poitn effectively. Some are intelligent and have at least given a different arguement with evidence to support their claims, but on a whole we have seen many liberals "shoot their load" with the talking points and then either resort to the namecalling or pull the disappearing act.

Need proof? Go look at the Anti-USA forum.

Kathianne, I liked how you handled that. I hope that girl learned something so that next time she'll have a good answer to get Kerry elected.

I thought Kerry was only rolling back the tax cut for the rich? Maybe I was wrong.

damn that is a good point

another more public example would be wesley clark... he's a great general and military expert, but get him on social issues (in other words, off his beaten path or program) and he sounded like a weirdo.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
Kathianne, I liked how you handled that. I hope that girl learned something so that next time she'll have a good answer to get Kerry elected.

I thought Kerry was only rolling back the tax cut for the rich? Maybe I was wrong.

PJ, you should know by now, when they say rich, they mean everyone paying taxes. Bill Clinton promised tax cuts for the middle class in his campaign of 92. 1993 came, not only did he not cut them, he raised them. History speaks for itself with Democrats and Taxes. They like to raise them.

Originally posted by insein
PJ, you should know by now, when they say rich, they mean everyone paying taxes. Bill Clinton promised tax cuts for the middle class in his campaign of 92. 1993 came, not only did he not cut them, he raised them. History speaks for itself with Democrats and Taxes. They like to raise them.
:clap:

how else can the Democrats increase the hands outs(not hand ups) to the folks that vote them in? on a side note my brothers mom-in-law and sister-in-law want to move to a different state than the one they live in now(Tenn). Why????? because they want more money in the form of welfare and tenn pays less then most. I will add they are democrats and have said they will vote the ticket. the mom quit school in the 6th grade and the daughter got a certifacate of completion. typical Democrats

Forum List

Back