On the trail of the Holy Family in Egypt

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The holy family in Sinai

Keller writes in his book, The Bible as History (1955): “A day's journey from Gaza brought the holy family to the ancient township of Jenysos, which is mentioned by Herodotus, the Greek historian.” Today, this village, which is part of the Gaza Strip, is known as Khan Younis. “The next town on the holy family's route would have been Raphia (Rafah), the frontier town between the Gaza Strip and the province of Egypt."

Continuing for another 44 kilometres, beyond Raphia, and after almost two days of traveling, the mother and child reach Wadi Al-Arish, a point at which they are safe enough to obtain food and shelter. The holy family passes by other towns in Sinai such as Al-Muhammadia and Al-Farma, located 35 kilometres east of El-Qantara City. Churches from the 5th and 6th century have recently been discovered in Al-Farma.

Route to the Nile Delta

The holy family continued on its trip to the Nile Delta, stopping at the city of Musturod, only 10 kilometres from Cairo. "The Virgin Lady", a 12th century church, was found in the city.

Keller adds in his book: “The city of Musturod was again visited by the holy family on their return journey to Palestine." After leaving Musturod and passing by Belbes, the holy family travel west to the Valley of Natroun, crossing the western branch of the Nile (the Rasheed branch).
On the trail of the Holy Family in Egypt - Street Smart - Folk - Ahram Online

Egypt would like your tourist dollars.

Any reason to believe any of that really happened? I have an old book that says a cow jumped over the moon, but documentation of the event is sparse.

Any reason to believe any of that really happened? I have an old book that says a cow jumped over the moon, but documentation of the event is sparse.

Nope. No reason at all. That said, if it makes people happy or brings them peace then why should I care? Not every aspect of religion requires a major battle.

Nope. No reason at all. That said, if it makes people happy or brings them peace then why should I care? Not every aspect of religion requires a major battle.

You can't just lift your skirt for every unsubstantiated assertion from the days of paid storytellers either.

A person can't just fill their head with a multitude of contradictory and irrational beliefs without risking losing their mind for the rest of their life..

We are trying to have a civilization here. Would you want a crazy person mowing your lawn, teaching your children, policing the streets with guns, making laws, or running the country?

Imagine what that would be like. If you don't have a very active imagination, just look around.

Thats why you should care.

Last edited:

You can't just lift your skirt for every unsubstantiated assertion from the days of paid storytellers either.

A person can't just fill their head with a multitude of contradictory and irrational beliefs without risking losing their mind for the rest of their life..

We are trying to have a civilization here. Thats why you should care.

Don't be absurd. They can fill their heads with whatever they choose and as long as it remains out of the public sphere it doesn't matter. It's called picking and choosing your battles.

Don't be absurd. They can fill their heads with whatever they choose and as long as it remains out of the public sphere it doesn't matter. It's called picking and choosing your battles.

Doesn't even a drop of poison contaminate the entire cup of wine?

How is anyone in the public sphere going to prevent what is in their head from affecting their actions, especially if their beliefs are the cause and the evidence of an unsound mind?

Pick your battles? Why litter the playing field with even more trash?

Last edited:

Then don't drink the wine but your rights end at the tip of your nose. You want to be the one that tells an elderly individual that is facing his/her own mortality after watching all of their family and friends die around them what they believe is wrong? Be my guest but it's an act of unnecessary cruelty. There are bigger fish to fry.

Then don't drink the wine but your rights end at the tip of your nose. You want to be the one that tells an elderly individual that is facing his/her own mortality after watching all of their family and friends die around them what they believe is wrong? Be my guest but it's an act of unnecessary cruelty. There are bigger fish to fry.

Cruelty my ass.

If they has anything to do with the current state of affairs I would gladly tell it to their face.

At least they would have a minute remaining to repent.

Cruelty my ass.

If they has anything to do with the current state of affairs I would gladly tell it to their face.

And why the hell would they listen to you? In fact, it would have the opposite effect because it's got nothing to do with them and everything to do with you.

Cruelty my ass.

And why the hell would they listen to you? In fact, it would have the opposite effect because it's got nothing to do with them and everything to do with you.

I wouldn't give a rats ass if they didn't listen.

Last edited:

Cruelty my ass.

Thus proving that you stomped your little feet and put your little fist in the air and had your say?

You told them.

Sounds like a huge waste of energy.

Cruelty my ass.

Thus proving that you stomped your little feet and put your little fist in the air and had your say?

You told them.

Lol....do you care if someone doesn't believe what you say when you know what the truth is?

Does't make me feel bad, it doesn't make me feel good. Its more like astonishment at their obstinate stupidity.

It's not about I told them, it is my responsibility to stand guard over the purity of my own mind and keep my own hands clean.

If someone wants to face eternity after living a lie for their entire life without repenting even after being given the chance for forgiveness and healing, they can be my guest.

You would keep the truth to yourself and watch them slowly degenerate into nothingness without even lifting a finger?

Thats not cruel?

Last edited:

Cruelty my ass.

You told them.

Lol....do you care if someone doesn't believe what you say?

Does't make me feel bad, it doesn't make me feel good.

It is my responsibility to stand guard over the purity of my own mind and keep my own hands clean.

If someone wants to face eternity after living a lie for their entire life without repenting they can be my guest.

Good deal.

You would keep the truth to yourself and watch them slowly degenerate into nothingness without even lifting a finger?

Thats not cruel?

Nope. It isn't cruel.

Alrighty then. Telling the truth is cruel, withholding the truth is not. Got it.

Thanks for sharing.

Well, you can always go stand on State Street in Chicago and wave your fist in the air and stomp your little feet and still feel as if you have done your part.

Thats not cruel?

Nope. It isn't cruel.

Alrighty then. Telling the truth is cruel, withholding the truth is not. Got it.

Thanks for sharing.

Well, you can always go stand on State Street in Chicago and wave your fist in the air and stomp your little feet and still feel as if you have done your part.

lol, thanks dear, I'll keep that in mind.

Thats not cruel?

Nope. It isn't cruel.

Thanks for sharing.

You do that.

Thats not cruel?

Nope. It isn't cruel.

Thanks for sharing.

You do that.

Sure thing.

You might want to find another approach if you are trying to lure tourists to Egypt.

Another tale about baby Jesus and the holy family isn't going to do it. Not many people are falling for that kind of maudlin crap anymore. Not to mention that many who own a television might have notice a deep seated hatred for foreigners festering there. These days it really doesn't sound like a very charming place to spend a holiday. You've had some bad press.

Try promoting a more open society, more appreciation for history, science, art, rational behavior social justice and progressive ideals..,

More sanity, less xenophobia, and no tolerance for religious madness.....and a decent night life wouldn't hurt.

And for Christ's sake stop trying to bullshit people already. it doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:
Nope. It isn't cruel.

Thanks for sharing.

You do that.

Sure thing.

You might want to find another approach if you are trying to lure tourists to Egypt.

Another tale about baby Jesus and the holy family isn't going to do it. Not many people are falling for that kind of maudlin crap anymore. Not to mention that many who own a television might have notice a deep seated hatred for foreigners festering there. These days it really doesn't sound like a very charming place to spend a holiday. You've had some bad press.

Try promoting a more open society, more appreciation for history, science, art, rational behavior social justice and progressive ideals..,

More sanity, less xenophobia, and no tolerance for religious madness.....and a decent night life wouldn't hurt.

And for Christ's sake stop trying to bullshit people already. it doesn't work anymore.

Done?

Forum List

Back