On PTS and PTSD

Discussion in 'Military' started by Annie, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The thread discussing these issues, turned into 'Bash Bush' so I've started a new one. There's been some more realistic discussion regarding service members needs on some of the milblogs, surprise. On of the best, again no surprise I found at Blackfive, by Grim. It's not about numbers, more to those having a problem:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/11/on-ptsd-or-more.html#more

This is just the intro and yes, there are a lot of links:

There's also this post that discusses the issues of receiving care and the problems that may bring to a military or even civilian position:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/07/tsgli-traumatic.html

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    It is considered a mental illness or mental problem. The Military is very distrustful of those two labels. However even before the Iraq war great steps were taken INSIDE the military to recognize treatable conditions that can be easily controlled and will not effect the members ability to serve.

With this condition it is ,as with all mental conditions, a case by case assessment for active duty personnel. As long as you can be expected to serve world wide or even in a semi restrictive nature and continue to preform your mission and your job then the only real stigma is the old fear that any blemish will get you tossed.

The military cares about mission accomplishment and the easy ability to deploy members where ever needed. Temporary difficulties in those regards are acceptable, permanent or very long lasting difficulties in those regards are not viewed favorably.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually if you go to the second link there's some truth to what you say and some big problems. I'm more curious about your take on Grim's post though.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    PTSD has been abused before the war. The VA has been accused of simply assigning that term to anybody and giving them increased benefits. I personally do not subscribe to that claim.

My non military doctors tried to label me with PTSD. I have never been in combat, never been in a field with life threatening requirements. We had a very long discussion about why I disagreed with said label. And they removed it from any diagnosis for my medical conditions.

What is to discuss? PTSD is a real condition. It is handled differently by each individual that has it occur. The military has , again long before the war, taken major steps to address "mental" conditions that do not impact long term service. They have tried [at least in the Marine Corps] and on military run radio and TV stations to let people know to seek help and that their career will not be damaged for asking for help { that only occurs if the problem is severe enough to impact readiness and ability to preform your mission}

Is his assessment of one cause of PTSD correct, probably for some people. Probably not for others. The VA has increased its programs to help Veterans in this regard. I suspect the active Military medical community has as well.

The stigma is still there for many reasons, one being that 30 years ago any "mental" problem was seen by command as a weakness and no regulations were in place to protect a service member that sought medical treatment for those conditions. I am sure some Commands and Senior leaders [ both commissioned officers and non commissioned officers] still view it as a weakness just for seeking help. But regulations exist now to prevent any obvious career ruining moves for temporary fixable conditions { but there ARE still ways for the truly motivated unbelievers to put a damper on a career]

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The should just let Chimps Faggoty do the diagnoses. By his way of thinking, if you don't believe in his brand of bigotry and hatred, you're a fraud. The concept that anyone could come out from behind mum's couch and shed the ruffled pink panties and assume the responsibilites of a man is inconceivable.

PTSD is real, and it screws people up. Anyone that actually suffers from it deserves the pittance the gov't throws their way. IMO tho, it's abused in roughly the same way welfare is. The screening process needs to be stringent, and those that truly rate should get. The frauds should be set outside on the curb.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Gunny maybe I missed something here. I read through the clicks and he spoke at length with both doctors in the military and others. He advised getting to a psychiatrist and pressed the military officer about what that does to both those that wish to stay in, regarding promotions and those that leave and perhaps want to go for security clearances and such.

I didn't get at all what you seem to be saying about the post. Maybe I'm missing something?

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You would have to go to the Taunting Arena and read Chimp's homage to me. Then it would make perfect sense.:cool:

There was a thread awhile back on this topic and I broke my usual silence on the topic and discussed it. The short version is, it's real, and it isn't any fun. Chimps chose to take that info and use it to cheap shot me in a lame attempt to get under my skin.

I did however address PTSD, even if if minimally. If you'd like a little peek into what it is, just imagine 17 years of not sleeping through a whole night once without waking several times, and getting about 4-5 hours max sleep per night. Or beign shaken awake by your wife while you're taking cover behind the chest of drawers ... or spending the first year back sleeping on the living room floor with the patio door wide open and a gun under your pillow because you go berserk in the bedroom.

The alternative is being drugged for the rest of your life, and it is that which I previously addressed. I deal with the other rather than take the drugs and Chimps chose to take a shot at me about me.

It doesn't make me braver than the rest ... it's a personal decision on my part. Simple as that. Those that need the help and cannot deal with it on their own should have it. On that, I have absolutely no issue.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Gunny, I didn't see him say it wasn't real, (not anyone on the board), rather the posting from Blackfive. Nevertheless, I certainly wasn't trying to stir anything up and apologize if I inadvertently did.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

No, ma'am, you didn't stir anything up. This one's on me. Sorry I hajacked your thread to return fire at an ignorant, hate-filled dimwit.:)

10. DiogenesDog

DiogenesDog Zen Bonobo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have lived the last 13 years with an adopted daughter whose brain was forever altered by shoddy prenatal care, post-natal care (first 90 days) and horrors and atrocities brought upon her by both predatory advantage takers and well meaning but bumbling first adoptive parents.

PSTD, as I have posted elsewhere in this forum is a neuro-chemical aberration of the brain that is brought on by overwhelming short term stress or long term unremitting anxiety from the conditions of nurture in the way of care givers.

A GI can only be next in line behind a truck in a convoy that is hit with an IED so many times before his brain functioning is altered and he becomes fatalistic and either adopts a hyper sensitivity (to danger and a positive approach to his duties), or a hypo sensitivity (unable to react in effective ways).

Why is it that people who have conventional retirements from conventional but stressful job situations die from boredom with in a very few years from their retirement? I believe that the brain needs to be fed the diet to which it has grown accustomed or it shuts down the system with a coronary surprise. Either that, or a period of hypochondria and acting out that results in suicide.

Where I live, I see a new crop of retirees every year. I also see a lot of street vets and I see a lot of foster kids. Many of you lead lives that are well insulated and comfortable even if you are not in the big money ranks. The best thing that this society had to offer in the past was was some opportunity for people who are poorly trained, limited in physical ability and live far from opportunities without access to transportation. All those opportunities have been outsourced, mechanized or turned into shopping centers. There are street people in urban settings. All may have some bit of stress, some may have more stress, others are eaten alive with it and are also subject to harm by family caregivers, foster care givers, and law enforcement for unconventional behavior and or sleeping accommodations. PSTD is something that is part of a process that begins with brain functioning. You may pray your way out of it but it usually takes a bit of medication, therapy, support groups and understanding by those not so affected.

Word!

I AM