OMG...There are folks who "get it" regarding political correctness

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
I was looking for a video and happened across this. Why this idea is so challenging for folks, especially the most vehemently anti-PC folks, to "get" this. Nobody likes political correctness; people of all political persuasions poo-poo it. Yet it seems few folks, no matter their political stances, manage to get to where Ms. Silverman does. Shame.

What is Ms. Silverman's take? Well, you'll have to watch the video below. It's not short, but it's not long either.

One of the hosts also makes a good point. One need not agree with a speaker (writer), but if one doesn't it's one's job to present the opposing point of view. Regrettably, most folks think presenting the opposing point of view works like this...

...except most folks aren't nearly so good at it as that. Most folks are, or at least seem, incapable (or perhaps unwilling) to offend without being offensive, without being vulgar. Knowing that, one'd think most self-respecting folks would step to Ms. Silverman's antinomically sublime, sophisticated, and sober sensibilities when it comes to dealing with political correctness. And yet, they don't.

Last edited:
There are words any of us might use in daily conversation that we might not use in front of Grandmom at Thanksgiving. That is self-censorship. That is being 'correct', respectful of someone. It is a choice.
Political correctness, which itself is probably not a very correct term, is the same thing on a broader scale. It is a decision or decisions based upon with whom and how we wish to communicate.
I say the term is not correct because there are no legal political consequences. Any 'censorship' is not official.
The fundamental problem in all this is the question of being offended and angry. To say that something or someone 'makes' one angry is a rather strange statement. It say that somehow another person invades one's brain to cause a reaction, as if one had no choice. Having no choice is being an automaton, not a person. Being offended or angry is a choice. Until we confront that and integrate it fully into consciousness, we will be automatons, as a great number of people effectively are.
Conforming to 'p.c.' criteria is a choice, and one I largely refuse to make. Still, that is tempered by situations. All things in moderation...
...except when moderation is inappropriate!

I was looking for a video and happened across this. Why this idea is so challenging for folks, especially the most vehemently anti-PC folks, to "get" this. Nobody likes political correctness; people of all political persuasions poo-poo it. Yet it seems few folks, no matter their political stances, manage to get to where Ms. Silverman does. Shame.

What is Ms. Silverman's take? Well, you'll have to watch the video below. It's not short, but it's not long either.

She is entitled to her opinion. I am equally of course entitled to mine, and am under no obligation to jump on the Newspeak bandwagon at the behest of someone else's opinion.

Ya know, it's so gay. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the difference between saying "colored people" and "people of color", and have been since Berke Breathed had Opus deliver a soliloquy on the subject back in the 80s, when all this nonsense started.

What’s amusing about the myth of ‘political correctness’ is that purveyors of the myth seek to do exactly what they accuse the ‘PC crowd’ of doing: suppress debate and silence dissent.

I was looking for a video and happened across this. Why this idea is so challenging for folks, especially the most vehemently anti-PC folks, to "get" this. Nobody likes political correctness; people of all political persuasions poo-poo it.
This really is absurd.

There are plenty of people here who vehemently defend PC when I attack it. They also turn virtually everything vicious and nasty and personal when I attack it, even though I never bring them personally into it until I'm attacked.

There are actually a few who literally deny its very existence.

These posts are not difficult to find, if one's eyes are open.

Last edited:
If the Left is about one thing, it is about silencing dissent. They have a long history of it. That is what PC is all about.

For example, today they want to silence those who do not agree with AGW. If they get that to happen, then naturally it roles into imprisoning those they dislike.

If one bothers to read the history of leftism in the 20th century, it becomes clear. At it's core, it is tyranny.

If the Left is about one thing, it is about silencing dissent. They have a long history of it. That is what PC is all about.

For example, today they want to silence those who do not agree with AGW. If they get that to happen, then naturally it roles into imprisoning those they dislike.

If one bothers to read the history of leftism in the 20th century, it becomes clear. At it's core, it is tyranny.
buy health insurance or else.

we live in a tyrannical country thanks to the left

buy health insurance or else.

we live in a tyrannical country thanks to the left
Sadly, some of us can see this growing tyranny and others can't.

Like the frog in the boiling water....some of us see what's coming and want out now, but lots of our fellow citizens will stay behind and get boiled alive.

There are words any of us might use in daily conversation that we might not use in front of Grandmom at Thanksgiving. That is self-censorship. That is being 'correct', respectful of someone. It is a choice.
Political correctness, which itself is probably not a very correct term, is the same thing on a broader scale. It is a decision or decisions based upon with whom and how we wish to communicate.
I say the term is not correct because there are no legal political consequences. Any 'censorship' is not official.
The fundamental problem in all this is the question of being offended and angry. To say that something or someone 'makes' one angry is a rather strange statement. It say that somehow another person invades one's brain to cause a reaction, as if one had no choice. Having no choice is being an automaton, not a person. Being offended or angry is a choice. Until we confront that and integrate it fully into consciousness, we will be automatons, as a great number of people effectively are.
Conforming to 'p.c.' criteria is a choice, and one I largely refuse to make. Still, that is tempered by situations. All things in moderation...
...except when moderation is inappropriate!
Are you saying I should choose NOT to be angry or offended if someone calls me a "c*nt" for no reason except that they don't like my ideas and I am a woman? Slapping me down with an anatomical slur to underscore my worthlessness because I have a female brain? I don't think that's a strange reaction at all.

175px-National_Fascist_Party_logo.svg.png

This is one of the emblems used by Italians in the 30's. The implement in question is called a fasces, and is an ax constructed from a bundle of sticks bound together tightly. The symbolism of such is that the sticks represent a group of people absolutely united in a common cause with no dissent allowed, and the ax represents the power such complete conformity of opinion can wield.

I was living in Berkeley in the early eighties when I first heard the term politically correct and immediately understood. There was joke back then about how nice it would be to be a black lesbian in a wheelchair so to be able to enjoy the same privilege of being absolutely free from criticism.

P.C. has morphed since then into an all-pervasive and constricting political outlook that demands absolute conformity of opinion. Anybody white and male or Christian is assumed to be in the wrong. Anybody of color, female and especially Muslim is defended. It doesn't make any difference what is being defended because the restrictive dictates of identity politics demands a specific response.

Goodness, we are now in the day when people are so desperate for a sense of victimization that being fat is now one of them and they are so eager to join the list of the aggrieved that they search for "microagressions".

At the end of the day, though, is there really a better term to call hese people than fascist? They may lack the nationalism of the true fascists, but their demands for absolute conformity of opinion is exactly the same.

Both Orlando and the attack in cal,people knew things were not right,but kept their mouths shut out of fear of ridicule.PC ,contributor to death and destruction.

Forum List

Back