Old Time investigative reporting

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
http://tinyurl.com/2b8n7n

This is the way news used to be reported on , in depth investigations with deep undercover reporting.

This is now rare and why the powers that be can lie and get away with almost any lie.

Lets hope this becomes the norm again so the lies can never win out agian.

• Banned
Undercover, under fire
The Washington press corps is too busy cozying up to the people it covers to get at the truth.
By Ken Silverstein, KEN SILVERSTEIN, a former Times staff writer, is the Washington editor of Harper's Magazine.
June 30, 2007

EARLIER THIS YEAR, I put on a brand-new tailored suit, picked up a sleek leather briefcase and headed to downtown Washington for meetings with some of the city's most prominent lobbyists. I had contacted their firms several weeks earlier, pretending to be the representative of a London-based energy company with business interests in Turkmenistan. I told them I wanted to hire the services of a firm to burnish that country's image.

I didn't mention that Turkmenistan is run by an ugly, neo-Stalinist regime. They surely knew that, and besides, they didn't care. As I explained in this month's issue of Harper's Magazine, the lobbyists I met at Cassidy & Associates and APCO were more than eager to help out. In exchange for fees of up to $1.5 million a year, they offered to send congressional delegations to Turkmenistan and write and plant opinion pieces in newspapers under the names of academics and think-tank experts they would recruit. They even offered to set up supposedly "independent" media events in Washington that would promote Turkmenistan (the agenda and speakers would actually be determined by the lobbyists).

All this, Cassidy and APCO promised, could be done quietly and unobtrusively, because the law that regulates foreign lobbyists is so flimsy that the firms would be required to reveal little information in their public disclosure forms.

Now, in a fabulous bit of irony, my article about the unethical behavior of lobbying firms has become, for some in the media, a story about my ethics in reporting the story. The lobbyists have attacked the story and me personally, saying that it was unethical of me to misrepresent myself when I went to speak to them.

It is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING how American citizens, can so easily spit on other American citizens, and have no ethical honor and respect, for their own country, that their loyalty to America can be bought away...

Somethings wrong with this system, and it needs to be FIXED!

:(

• Banned
Greed, pure greed and the idea that money is the end all be all of life.

• Banned
"They even offered to set up supposedly "independent" media events in Washington that would promote Turkmenistan (the agenda and speakers would actually be determined by the lobbyists)."

By Ken Silverstein

I find it amazing how the cons ignore this thread because it proves we have a media which is can be bought and sold.

Its not liberals buying this coverage is it?

Its corporations.

"They even offered to set up supposedly "independent" media events in Washington that would promote Turkmenistan (the agenda and speakers would actually be determined by the lobbyists)."

By Ken Silverstein

I find it amazing how the cons ignore this thread because it proves we have a media which is can be bought and sold.

Its not liberals buying this coverage is it?

Its corporations.

This was already proven in the Libby Trial....even the administration had their 3 or so journalists that they "LEAKED" their spin to in the press.

• Banned
I just find it mind boggling how many accept as fact that the media is liberal.

Its completely corporate owned.

I guess they may be too young to notice the change in journalism over the last 30 years.

The hard hitting reporter who was half spy and half writer who outed any and all who cheated the American puplic.

Im hoping a whole new generation of journalists will come out of this current age and make journalism what it used to be.

• Banned
Come to think about it this may be why that show were they out the online pedophiles is so popular?

People have not seen this type of journalism in so long.

I think if you want to impeach a sitting member of government, they deserve a fair trial, and beyond a reasonable doubt must be proved to the letter of law, not just, we hate or dislike, just trying to be fair.

This is the way news used to be reported on , in depth investigations with deep undercover reporting.

This is now rare and why the powers that be can lie and get away with almost any lie.

Lets hope this becomes the norm again so the lies can never win out agian.

Forum List

Back