OK Obama, you won reelection. Time to close Gitmo

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
After ten years, nobody should be in Gitmo who has not been tried and convicted of a crime. If you have evidence against them, prove it in a court of law. If not, let them go

We are America, we used to set the moral high ground for other nations to follow. Holding men indefinitely without charges and without a fair trial is against our core values

They have proven it, that's why they are there in the first place.

Doesn't surprise me though that you libs would love to see these terrorists get lawyers and show trials.

How about we start with a fair trial of the FT. Hood terrorist? He's charged with workplace violence.

He's not going to close it.
He going to resign the Patriot Act
He's not going to lower the debt
He won't lower UE

He's not going to do any of the great stuff he said he was going to do, but you will want to vote for him again.

After ten years, nobody should be in Gitmo who has not been tried and convicted of a crime. If you have evidence against them, prove it in a court of law. If not, let them go

We are America, we used to set the moral high ground for other nations to follow. Holding men indefinitely without charges and without a fair trial is against our core values

I always said "Never gonna happen"

During the Democratic primaries of 2008, i used to laugh and now I laugh again. Why? Harsh realities where fear and politics at home, meets terrorism and legitimate national security issues.

No state will gladly accept the detainees if GITMO closes and any of the detainees/prisoners left are to be kept in prison or custody. If for some odd reason all the detainees are cleared and sent home...some will fight being sent home. There is more...

The complex issues surrounding US criminal law and military law, were handed off to the Obama admin and people were warned of the complexities and harsh realities in the 2008 general election, but people of the left chose to ignore reality.

go figure:eusa_shifty:
-----------------

President Obama may have been a Law Prof, but he was always a pragmatic, thoughtful, man. He knows there are political concerns, legitimate political concerns, in decisions like closing GITMO. Like decisions made by Chief Justice John Marshall, and Chief Justice Roberts, I believe President Obama will walk a fine line as he already has. Huge decisions can be parsed and split...Marbury v Madison/Obamacare .. both walked a fine line because of the immense political considerations involved for the nation as a whole, for society. Sometimes following principles to their logical ends would be like a surgery that is successful, but kills the patient.

----

Now, I would like to see the detainees charged and tried or classified as POWs in open court. But I know there are two types of detainees...military detainees caught up in a military invasions in Afghanistan and in Iraq (these would be people caught up in fighting the Taliban and the Iraqi military who are by definition and reality, prisoners of war.), and the detainees caught up in sweeps of terrorist cells and activity who are in my opinion, common criminals. Now if the wars are over...what does the law say we do with POWs? The detainees I consider common criminals? Charge them and try them or let them go. We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

I do not like the WoT industrial complex. I think it stinks. It threatens liberties and freedoms.

There are no super evil, super human, boogyman terrorists. There are only common criminals who hide behind religious extremism.

Too bad repubs don't agree.

He won't lower UE

He's not going to do any of the great stuff he said he was going to do, but you will want to vote for him again.

Two of those issues are not what most people voted for.

:eusa_shhh:

pfft
He promised all of the above and didn't deliver any of it.

Not that enough Americans cared.

Doesn't surprise me though that you libs would love to see these terrorists get lawyers and show trials.

That is not the way we do things in this country. At least it is the way it used to be. If you have proof they are terrorists prove it in a court of law

No proof.....let them go

Terrorists by definition are criminals. Criminals get lawyers. Why would you fear open trials?

Citizens get lawyers, everyone else has to pay for one

The right to an attorney has never applied just to citizens

It is a basic human right

He won't lower UE

Two of those issues are not what most people voted for.

:eusa_shhh:

pfft
He promised all of the above and didn't deliver any of it.

Not that enough Americans cared.

Time to wake up. It's not 2008 .. It's 2012

Running for reelection, the President didn't promise what you say he did

You think Republicans will let him this time? If they can figure out a way to hold millions of Americans hostage again, they might win.

I don't understand why Republicans are always helping al Qaeda.

You think Republicans will let him this time? If they can figure out a way to hold millions of Americans hostage again, they might win.

I don't understand why Republicans are always helping al Qaeda.

This is not something that has to go to Congress

The US has had 10 years to build a case. If they can't, assume they are innocent and send them back to where they came from

Many are accused of crimes that would not have gotten them ten years if convicted

Who do you think Obama is, some sort of champion of civil rights?

I always said "Never gonna happen"

During the Democratic primaries of 2008, i used to laugh and now I laugh again. Why? Harsh realities where fear and politics at home, meets terrorism and legitimate national security issues.

No state will gladly accept the detainees if GITMO closes and any of the detainees/prisoners left are to be kept in prison or custody. If for some odd reason all the detainees are cleared and sent home...some will fight being sent home. There is more...

The complex issues surrounding US criminal law and military law, were handed off to the Obama admin and people were warned of the complexities and harsh realities in the 2008 general election, but people of the left chose to ignore reality.

go figure:eusa_shifty:
-----------------

President Obama may have been a Law Prof, but he was always a pragmatic, thoughtful, man. He knows there are political concerns, legitimate political concerns, in decisions like closing GITMO. Like decisions made by Chief Justice John Marshall, and Chief Justice Roberts, I believe President Obama will walk a fine line as he already has. Huge decisions can be parsed and split...Marbury v Madison/Obamacare .. both walked a fine line because of the immense political considerations involved for the nation as a whole, for society. Sometimes following principles to their logical ends would be like a surgery that is successful, but kills the patient.

----

Now, I would like to see the detainees charged and tried or classified as POWs in open court. But I know there are two types of detainees...military detainees caught up in a military invasions in Afghanistan and in Iraq (these would be people caught up in fighting the Taliban and the Iraqi military who are by definition and reality, prisoners of war.), and the detainees caught up in sweeps of terrorist cells and activity who are in my opinion, common criminals. Now if the wars are over...what does the law say we do with POWs? The detainees I consider common criminals? Charge them and try them or let them go. We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

I do not like the WoT industrial complex. I think it stinks. It threatens liberties and freedoms.

There are no super evil, super human, boogyman terrorists. There are only common criminals who hide behind religious extremism.

Obama was never a law professor, he was a visiting lecturer, there is a very significant difference between the two. Another thing he has never been is pragmatic, if he was pragmatic he would never have issued an order to close the place. The first thing any leader needs to learn is to never give an order that you know will not be obeyed. If Obama was half as pragmatic as he is in your imagination he would have known the order to close Gitmo wouldn't be obeyed, and never issued it in the first place.

I don't know why people admire pragmatism so much anyway, it is one of the most despicable traits any human being can have. Ever take the time to wonder what other great decisions were the result of being pragmatic?

Too bad repubs don't agree.

It wasn't the Republicans that stopped the closing of Gitmo.

Forum List

Back