OK Obama, you won reelection. Time to close Gitmo

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rightwinger, Nov 11, 2012.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,527
    After ten years, nobody should be in Gitmo who has not been tried and convicted of a crime. If you have evidence against them, prove it in a court of law. If not, let them go

We are America, we used to set the moral high ground for other nations to follow. Holding men indefinitely without charges and without a fair trial is against our core values

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    They have proven it, that's why they are there in the first place.

Doesn't surprise me though that you libs would love to see these terrorists get lawyers and show trials.

3. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    How about we start with a fair trial of the FT. Hood terrorist? He's charged with workplace violence.

4. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Don't hold your breath.

5. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    He's not going to close it.
    He going to resign the Patriot Act
    He's not going to lower the debt
    He won't lower UE

He's not going to do any of the great stuff he said he was going to do, but you will want to vote for him again.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    I always said "Never gonna happen"

During the Democratic primaries of 2008, i used to laugh and now I laugh again. Why? Harsh realities where fear and politics at home, meets terrorism and legitimate national security issues.

No state will gladly accept the detainees if GITMO closes and any of the detainees/prisoners left are to be kept in prison or custody. If for some odd reason all the detainees are cleared and sent home...some will fight being sent home. There is more...

The complex issues surrounding US criminal law and military law, were handed off to the Obama admin and people were warned of the complexities and harsh realities in the 2008 general election, but people of the left chose to ignore reality.

go figure:eusa_shifty:
    -----------------

President Obama may have been a Law Prof, but he was always a pragmatic, thoughtful, man. He knows there are political concerns, legitimate political concerns, in decisions like closing GITMO. Like decisions made by Chief Justice John Marshall, and Chief Justice Roberts, I believe President Obama will walk a fine line as he already has. Huge decisions can be parsed and split...Marbury v Madison/Obamacare .. both walked a fine line because of the immense political considerations involved for the nation as a whole, for society. Sometimes following principles to their logical ends would be like a surgery that is successful, but kills the patient.

----

Now, I would like to see the detainees charged and tried or classified as POWs in open court. But I know there are two types of detainees...military detainees caught up in a military invasions in Afghanistan and in Iraq (these would be people caught up in fighting the Taliban and the Iraqi military who are by definition and reality, prisoners of war.), and the detainees caught up in sweeps of terrorist cells and activity who are in my opinion, common criminals. Now if the wars are over...what does the law say we do with POWs? The detainees I consider common criminals? Charge them and try them or let them go. We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

I do not like the WoT industrial complex. I think it stinks. It threatens liberties and freedoms.

There are no super evil, super human, boogyman terrorists. There are only common criminals who hide behind religious extremism.

7. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,648
    Too bad repubs don't agree.

8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Two of those issues are not what most people voted for.

:eusa_shhh:

9. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Terrorists by definition are criminals. Criminals get lawyers. Why would you fear open trials?

10. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,548
    Fat chance of Gitmo being closed. Obama has the same neo-con foreign policy as Bush.