Ok, let's say your a political strategist helping DeSantis.

Trump is going to get more felony charges; the question is, can he delay, delay, delay the trial long enough to become president?

We're in uncharted waters here. I could see Trump's legal team making the argument that he's the front runner (of his party anyway) and that forcing him to deal with a trial is interfering in an election.
That would seem a valid legal point, until you consider Trumps track record. Every legal case was fought by a tactic of DELAY ... DELAY ... DELAY ...
Trump would file frivolous appeal after appeal. Judges are only now taking Trumps litigation history into account. The supreme court already confirmed he lost the 2020 election, and that he no longer has any of the privileges and immunity of a president.

That is why the New York judge set Trumps trial date for March 25, 2024, over Trumps many objections and desires to delay the trial.

A New York judge has set a trial date of March 25, 2024, for the criminal case against former President Donald Trump,

Donald Trump will face a criminal trial on March 25, 2024, over charges he falsified business records

Donald Trump's trial for 34 criminal counts of allegedly falsifying business records — filed by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg

Trump had the option of speeding up the trial, and get his day in court in time for Christmas.

Trump is going to get more felony charges; the question is, can he delay, delay, delay the trial long enough to become president?

We're in uncharted waters here. I could see Trump's legal team making the argument that he's the front runner (of his party anyway) and that forcing him to deal with a trial is interfering in an election.

More charges coming? I know about the defamation suit that woman is going for. But are their more?

Again, candycorn has it right, but accepting the OP's premise as we must since DeSantis announced:

DeSantis has to make up his mind what version of himself he will run as.

Is he Trump-without-the-negatives? That won't sit well with Trumpers. Especially now since so many of Trump's negatives have been proven to be Hillary-funded hoaxes. He or his surrogates would have to be out front talking about Trump's negatives that are based on reality, putting him in a position of running a negative campaign that will help the Dems if Trump wins the nom.

There is a lot of negatives with Trump. Getting into his actual record, I'm not sure why he's even running as a Republican.
$8 trillion in just 4 years. (that helped to create the inflation increases in Biden's first year)
2 debt ceiling increases
A 2 years debt ceiling suspension
Bump stock ban. As miniscule at that might be, us gun owners can no longer buy one. It's not like they're nukes.
He funded gender studies in Pakistan and Afghanistan
He funded Planned Parenthood when Roe v Wade was still in effect.
His deal with US oil companies (7 months before the election) to reduce oil production.
^^^ The short list.

Is he Ron "Donald who?" DeSantis, only talking about himself without reference to or comparison with Trump? That would be the best strategy for the unlikely but definitely possible event that Trump dies or becomes incapacitated during the primary season. It is also the easiest strategy since he wouldn't have to measure his words when talking about Trump. He'll have to practice answering questions about Trump by talking about himself, since the MSM won't ask him anything but quesions about Trump.

He's done a good job of that so far. In fact, he's done an excellent job of that.
Is he the guy who will actually do what Trump promised but did not do? His record of bussing illegals to sanctuary cities makes that a plausible claim. EDIT: So does the list posted by YoursTruly. Easy to imagine President DeSantis ordering the military to build the wall and letting any objections play out in court. That is the strategy that will bring out the worst street brawler in Trump, so DeSantis would have to be ready.

One of the biggest reasons that more of the wall wasn't built was from all the lawsuits those who live on the actual border filed against the Trump administration. It's their land and they don't want to lose access to the Rio. The wall takes away the property rights. And I agree.
Personally, I think they should build the wall on the Mexico side. Yes, that means taking Mexico's land. But I'd rather they take Mexican land than Americans. But that's just my opinion. (which amounts to nothing)
Is he running for president, but really running for VP? That would be the best strategy politically, given his age and inexperience in the executive branch. That would also be the hardest to pull off. Nikki Haley and Tim Scott are far more likely to succeed in that strategy. The GOP cannot keep running white male only tickets and expect to win.

He's already dismissed that idea now. It would've been a good strategy had Trump not started bashing DeSantis months ago. A Trump/DeSantis ticket would've been unstoppable. But Trump being Trump, took a big dump on one of the best governors in the USA, atm.

I don't get Trump, on this issue. He'll bash DeSantis. But then buddy up with one of the biggest swamp creatures in DC.. Lindsey Graham.

There is a lot of negatives with Trump. Getting into his actual record, I'm not sure why he's even running as a Republican.
$8 trillion in just 4 years. (that helped to create the inflation increases in Biden's first year)
2 debt ceiling increases
A 2 years debt ceiling suspension
Bump stock ban. As miniscule at that might be, us gun owners can no longer buy one. It's not like they're nukes.
He funded gender studies in Pakistan and Afghanistan
He funded Planned Parenthood when Roe v Wade was still in effect.
His deal with US oil companies (7 months before the election) to reduce oil production.
^^^ The short list.
Yeah, absolutely. Too bad all of those criticism got little to no air time with the media consumed by the Russia Collusion Hoax and other fake attempts by Democrats to impeach Trump.

Ron would have to spend a lot of effort just educating people that Trump did those things, but it would be effective.
He's done a good job of that so far. In fact, he's done an excellent job of that.
It's one of the better options for DeSantis, I think.
One of the biggest reasons that more of the wall wasn't built was from all the lawsuits those who live on the actual border filed against the Trump administration. It's their land and they don't want to lose access to the Rio. The wall takes away the property rights. And I agree.
Personally, I think they should build the wall on the Mexico side. Yes, that means taking Mexico's land. But I'd rather they take Mexican land than Americans. But that's just my opinion. (which amounts to nothing)
That's actually a very good idea. Buy the land from Mexico and pay them to build and maintain the wall.
He's already dismissed that idea now. It would've been a good strategy had Trump not started bashing DeSantis months ago. A Trump/DeSantis ticket would've been unstoppable. But Trump being Trump, took a big dump on one of the best governors in the USA, atm.

I don't get Trump, on this issue. He'll bash DeSantis. But then buddy up with one of the biggest swamp creatures in DC.. Lindsey Graham.
Trump has a lot of downsides. But overall his presidency was great for the country in the long run, with the judges and justices that he nominated and with the crop of non-establishment Republicans that won congressional seats on his coat tails.

Yeah, absolutely. Too bad all of those criticism got little to no air time with the media consumed by the Russia Collusion Hoax and other fake attempts by Democrats to impeach Trump.

Independently minded people, especially us fiscal conservatives, don't really care who spends too much. We're more concerned with the fact that too much has been spent. That's more important than political parties or candidates.
Loyalist are sickening, IMO.
Imagine if Biden had done those things I just listed. The right would be using those very things to bash him for. And rightfully so. But since it was Trump, hardly a word. Even from the left leaning media.

Ron would have to spend a lot of effort just educating people that Trump did those things, but it would be effective.

Nailed it. DeSantis isn't an exciting speaker. So I'm not sure if he could articulate that in a way that seemed interesting. His only option is sort of an "in your face" way of putting it.
That's the way I put it to the diehard Trump supporters. To date, it hasn't worked once. Their replies are usually spins and dodges.
It's one of the better options for DeSantis, I think.

Political loyalist are usually simple minded. Those that are 100% behind Biden or Trump, probably don't mind hearing facts that makes their candidate look bad, as long as their names aren't mentioned.

I was just watching a video of a gal quoting Kamala Harris and her "Don't come" statement about immigrants from Guatemala. She made out like Trump was the one who said it. And the people she talked too, had some really horrible things to say about Trump over that comment. Afterwards when she revealed that it was Harris that said it, it was a totally different story.
This was a clever way of doing this. Because if she's said from the start that it was Harris's words, the responses would've been favorable to Harris.
If DeSantis can do it this way, with the Trump supporters, he'll have a lot better chance of getting through the Trump cancel culture.
That's actually a very good idea. Buy the land from Mexico and pay them to build and maintain the wall.

:) I get a good idea every once in a while.
Trump has a lot of downsides. But overall his presidency was great for the country in the long run, with the judges and justices that he nominated and with the crop of non-establishment Republicans that won congressional seats on his coat tails.

Yeah, I'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

You call letting children decide their gender is diversity? LMAO..
349333603_262607816277673_7815026321215535832_n.jpg
I don't thing the State should be dictating gender identity to anyone. It is an entirely personal matter.

I don't thing the State should be dictating gender identity to anyone. It is an entirely personal matter.

It's tax payer funded schools, dude. The parents were requesting this gender crap stop.

Let's say you're the top guy in DeSantis's campaign. How would you go about getting DeSantis the nomination over Trump and his cancel culture?
What's your strategy?

“We had three losing cycles in a row... It’s pretty hard to lose the White House, but we did it.
It’s pretty hard to lose the House, the Senate and the White House, but we did that also.
And in the last election when we should have won the Senate back,
picked up governor seats and picked up 50 seats in the House…”

Larry Hogan​

I would keep Trump obsessing over and lying about his record of losing, especially the 2020 presidential election.

Subjecting the Republican electorate to the old fart kvetching about his delusion of yesteryear and his fixations on petty revenge would be a winner for the Florida authoritarian.

Former President Trump and Fox News anchor Bret Baier argued over Trump’s false claims of a rigged election in 2020 during a contentious interview that aired Monday on the network.
“First of all, I won in 2020 by a lot,” Trump said when Baier asked him how he plans to appeal to independent voters in 2024.
“You know that’s not what … ” Baier interjected as Trump talked over him.
The former president floated unfounded theories about ballot harvesting and voter fraud, to which Baier pushed back, saying, “Mr. President that’s all been looked into.”
“You lost the 2020 election,” Baier told Trump, noting the numerous recounts and lawsuits that followed Trump’s refusal to admit defeat in the weeks after the election.
“This is how you’re going to tell an independent suburban voter that they should vote for you?” Baier asked the former president.

What happened to Trump can't win
Been saying this for years...

As for the Democrats...anyone nominated from either major party has a coin flip's chance of winning regardless of ifthey are the brightest bulb on the tree.

But a warm bucket of spit with a D or an R next to their name will get almost as many votes as Trump or Biden.
So you lose.
or if he wins he won't leave office?
Don't recall saying that about Trump in 2024

Been saying this for years...

So you lose.

Don't recall saying that about Trump in 2024
But if he wouldn't leave office after the 2020 election because he was an election denier, then what makes you think he would leave office after 2028? Oh, wait a minute, he did actually leave office after the 2020 election so he must have accepted the results. Never mind.

But if he wouldn't leave office after the 2020 election because he was an election denier, then what makes you think he would leave office after 2028?
Because its a constitutional amendment that says he does.
Oh, wait a minute, he did actually leave office after the 2020 election so he must have accepted the results. Never mind.
Losing by 9M votes will do that to a fella.

DeSantis need to wait until 2028. If it's Trump versus DeSantis, Trump might make DeSantis look so bad he loses in 2024 and 2028.

Forum List

Back