OK Brainiacs, how would YOU prevent future school shootings?

Well, certainly better than a cowardly armed and trained security guard - who was also a Sheriff's deputy who was hiding outside the building while the kids were being massacred.

Well, certainly better than a cowardly armed and trained security guard - who was also a Sheriff's deputy who was hiding outside the building while the kids were being massacred.

The NRA told him to not go in.

Myself, I like the idea of letting retired veterans be employed at schools and carrying firearms. As a backup plan, let some teachers with a CHL carry if they want.

Despite all the motor vehicle safety regulations and mandatory laws and inspections and air bags and recalls and traffic cops and tickets and DUI crackdowns the automobile fatality rate seems to be increasing by about 5% every year approaching 40,000. If we can't prevent law abiding citizens from killing each other on the highways how the hell can we prevent a maniac from going rogue in a free Country? When you factor in the incredible hatred directed at the President by alleged spokespeople for American culture in Hollywood and the most vocal hate mongers who advocate anything from assault to arson to murder and dismemberment of the President it seems that insanity is the rule and not the exception.

Any serious replies?
giphy.gif

One thing at a time. We need to ramp up our work on keeping all illegal drugs like heroin, meth, cocaine off the streets.

Too many people are dying from them.

Despite all the motor vehicle safety regulations and mandatory laws and inspections and air bags and recalls and traffic cops and tickets and DUI crackdowns the automobile fatality rate seems to be increasing by about 5% every year approaching 40,000. If we can't prevent law abiding citizens from killing each other on the highways how the hell can we prevent a maniac from going rogue in a free Country? When you factor in the incredible hatred directed at the President by alleged spokespeople for American culture in Hollywood and the most vocal hate mongers who advocate anything from assault to arson to murder and dismemberment of the President it seems that insanity is the rule and not the exception.

40,000 seems low. I mean look at the autos on the roads.

wonder why the increase in 2015
2015 was the deadliest driving year in the U.S. since 2008

Last edited:
Re-orient your thinking a little bit. First, no matter what we do, school shootings or shootings anywhere else cannot be totally prevented. The best we can do is reduce the number of incidents and the lethality. The gun control people who want to confiscate all guns are doomed to disappointment; that just isn't going to happen. Not in this country. So maybe we ban certain weapons, still doesn't really solve the problem cuz we already got loads of AR-15s and the like out there now. So are you going to confiscate all of them? I don't think so. Stop selling them? Again, we already got plenty of them, but here's the problem: people are going to use another gun that isn't illegal, be it a semi-auto pistol with fewer bullets in the magazine; so what's the difference between dying from a bullet fired from a AR-15 vs a 9mm handgun? I'm okay with making AR-15s illegal, but that ain't going to stop somebody bent on killing a bunch of people for whatever reason.

All I can see is either arming some volunteer teachers or hiring retired military or off duty cops to stop the nutcases before they can do more damage in a shorter timeframe. Better surveillance equipment would be good, plus I like the GVRO idea; if somebody is exhibiting behavior that appears to be dangerous, have the guy checked out by the cops and if the cops think it's warranted temporarily confiscate his/her weapons and suspend his ability to buy weapons or ammunition until the person goes before a judge and perhaps is examined by a mental health professional.

One thing though - making access to a gun doesn't mean the threat is gone. The person can make a bomb, drive a truck over a bunch of school kids, use a shotgun, whatever. Our society has some issues with mental health and we ought to be working on that too.

New Topics

Forum List

Back