Ojai Earthquake

IMG_4225.jpeg

5.1 earthquake 4 miles SE of Ojai. Most likely centered off the SR150 (Sulphur Mountain area) near Santa Paula. I felt it in Montecito. Nice jolt and it's raining. Woo hoo!

Yeah, my kid keeps sending updates from Van Nuys... "Don't worry dad, we're okay... just a 5.1 in Ojai and we're on the 4th floor." She's a gas...

So apparently it rattled the San Fernando Valley as well.

Yeah, my kid keeps sending updates from Van Nuys... "Don't worry dad, we're okay... just a 5.1 in Ojai and we're on the 4th floor." She's a gas...

So apparently it rattled the San Fernando Valley as well.
As always, Lucy Jones said they're collecting data. News says it was felt in Riverside.

Glad I got out of there on Friday. I was in Santa Barbara for work.

Only a hurricane and an earthquake? Here's one for the road:
In California, there is concern about the Long Valley Caldera showing signs there could be a volcano coming.

The 16 x 32 km (20 x 10 mi) Long Valley caldera east of the central Sierra Nevada Range formed as a result of the voluminous Bishop Tuff eruption (considered a "supereruption") about 760,000 years ago.

Location%2Bof%2BLong%2BValley%2Bsupervolcano%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Summary​

Resurgent doming in the central part of the caldera occurred shortly after the caldera-forming eruption. During early resurgent doming, the caldera was filled with a large lake that left lake-shore traces (strandlines) on the caldera walls and the resurgent dome peninsula; the lake eventually drained through the Owens River Gorge.
Along the caldera's ring fault, Mammoth Knolls is the youngest eruption about 100,000 years ago. In the topographic basin, Cone 2652 in West Moat is about 33,000 years old and dacite lavas in NW Moat are 40,000-27,000 years old. The mafic chain along the west rim is 16,000 to 17,000 years old. The caldera remains thermally active, with many hot springs and fumaroles, and has had significant deformation, seismicity, and other unrest in recent years. A robust geothermal system inside the caldera fuels the Casa Diablo power plant, which generates enough power for 40,000 homes.
The late-Pleistocene to Holocene Mono-Inyo Craters, which cut the northwest topographic rim of the caldera, along with Mammoth Mountain, on the southwest topographic rim, is west of the structural caldera and are chemically and tectonically distinct from the Long Valley magmatic system. The most recent activity in the area was about 300 years ago in Mono Lake. Both Long Valley Caldera and Mammoth Mountain have experienced episodes of heightened unrest over the last few decades (earthquakes, ground uplift, and/or volcanic gas emissions). As a result, the USGS manages a dense array of field sensors providing the real-time data needed to track unrest and assess hazards.

link
JULY 5, 2023

The Mystery of the Noon Booms Part 2​

link
JUNE 21, 2023

Bubble trouble? Tracking changing hydrothermal features in Long Valley's Hot Creek​

link
MAY 24, 2023

What makes Long Valley's resurgent dome reach for the skies?​

Quick Facts​

Latitude: 37.7° N
Longitude: 118.87° W
Elevation: 2,600 (m) 8,530 (f)
Volcano type: caldera
Composition: basalt to rhyolite
Most recent eruption: 16,000-17,000 years ago
Nearby towns: Mammoth Lakes
Threat Potential: Very High

If it does blow, I hope it's a small eruption. Nobody ever knows whether resurgent domes will become an eruption or go back quietly into the sunset. :dunno:

Even though I don't think it's much of a panic at this time, here's a history of three very high-potential volcanic regions, three of the high potential and two moderate regions. Magma intrusion beneath Long Valley Caldera confirmed by Science - Strange Sounds

1692576800957.png

I just put CA on my prayer list. A lot of people live in California. Hope all are safe through all the problems in weather and geology some of you are having. :hands:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back