Ohio school sorry for making black student 'slave'

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
Mother of 10-year-old says her son refused to take part in simulated slave auction

School sorry for making black student 'slave' - U.S. news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com

updated 1 hour 43 minutes ago 2011-03-04T14:57:21

GAHANNA, Ohio — The mother of a black Ohio fifth grader assigned to play a slave for a social studies lesson says the school should be more sensitive.

Principal Scott Schmidt of Chapelfield Elementary in Gahanna called Aneka Burton to apologize for what happened to her son, Nikko, on Wednesday. Columbus station WBNS-TV reports Schmidt said no harm was intended.

Ten-year-old Nikko says the class was randomly divided into "masters" and "slaves" and that the only other black student got to be a master. Burton says her son refused to take part in a simulated slave auction and was sent back to his desk.

Burton says she appreciates the apology, but the exercise was inappropriate.

The school district said in a statement Thursday that officials acted promptly once the concern was raised.

It's short, so that's the whole story.

I went through the same thing. But I was in 7th / 8th grade mix. It was very very odd, you could cut the tension with a knife. so as kids we acted out, trying to kill time to the bell, and everytime the teacher regained discapline, it got very tense.

doing this to 5th graders is just foolish at best, but to me that's cruel.

And then they wonder why we have to have reform in the class room. Not more money, new rules.
How stupid!

Mother of 10-year-old says her son refused to take part in simulated slave auction

School sorry for making black student 'slave' - U.S. news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com

updated 1 hour 43 minutes ago 2011-03-04T14:57:21

GAHANNA, Ohio — The mother of a black Ohio fifth grader assigned to play a slave for a social studies lesson says the school should be more sensitive.

Principal Scott Schmidt of Chapelfield Elementary in Gahanna called Aneka Burton to apologize for what happened to her son, Nikko, on Wednesday. Columbus station WBNS-TV reports Schmidt said no harm was intended.

Ten-year-old Nikko says the class was randomly divided into "masters" and "slaves" and that the only other black student got to be a master. Burton says her son refused to take part in a simulated slave auction and was sent back to his desk.

Burton says she appreciates the apology, but the exercise was inappropriate.

The school district said in a statement Thursday that officials acted promptly once the concern was raised.

It's short, so that's the whole story.

I went through the same thing. But I was in 7th / 8th grade mix. It was very very odd, you could cut the tension with a knife. so as kids we acted out, trying to kill time to the bell, and everytime the teacher regained discapline, it got very tense.

doing this to 5th graders is just foolish at best, but to me that's cruel.

The schools I went to never did this because if they did, all hell would have broke loose.

Let me guess: Public School.

That would be my guess.

But when I did it, I was in Catholic school.

Ok

This is not something everyone had to do at some point?

And my teacher was nuts to put us through that.

Catholic School. Accckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Pretty stupid stuff. We never did this when I was in school, although that was a long, long time ago.

It was within a couple of years after the tv movie 'Roots' came out. And the teacher was young, and clearly full of something.

As far as Catholic school goes, I was sent b/c the honor student at the local public HS couldn't pass college entrance exams.

That would be my guess.

But when I did it, I was in Catholic school.

Ok

This is not something everyone had to do at some point?

And my teacher was nuts to put us through that.

Catholic School. Accckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Pretty stupid stuff. We never did this when I was in school, although that was a long, long time ago.

It was within a couple of years after the tv movie 'Roots' came out. And the teacher was young, and clearly full of something.

As far as Catholic school goes, I was sent b/c the honor student at the local public HS couldn't pass college entrance exams.

:lol: Sad, but true. That's why my kids go to private schools, although we've avoid catholic schools so far.

Wonder what the black kids that were asked to play "masters" thought?

Got to admire that kid for standing his ground. Especailly since he was the only one that did.

I guess they were just reenacting history. Blacks sold blacks into slavery and some had their own as slaves at that time. We still have slavery in some parts of the world today.

Got to admire that kid for standing his ground. Especailly since he was the only one that did.

My ex wife was from the Virgin Islands and she told me in school the teachers made them pick cotton one time, until their hands bled. All the teachers and students were black too.

I guess they were just reenacting history. Blacks sold blacks into slavery and some had their own as slaves at that time. We still have slavery in some parts of the world today.

didn't give much details.

we re-enacted an auction.

One of the things I recall was wanting to stomp the crap outta bidders. And these were freinds and classmates.

My ex wife was from the Virgin Islands and she told me in school the teachers made them pick cotton one time, until their hands bled. All the teachers and students were black too.

failhp-4.jpg

Pain as a teaching tool. creepy

but I imagine it worked to some degree. I went to St Peter and Paul down there. Another catholic school.

damn, no wonder I have so much guilt

If they were re-enacting some type of history lesson about slavery (which it seems they were) . . . . how doesn't this make sense? Blacks were slaves and there were black slave owners. All the kids were included in the lesson.

It seems to me it would be a wonderful opportunity for the teacher to teach the children how wrong slavery was and how no one race is better or worse than another.

Forum List

Back