Ohio school sorry for making black student 'slave'

I imagine if it was planned ahead, everyone including the parents knew what was going to happen AND they used volunteers.

I think everyone could understand and use it as a learning moment.

but if it's an "Ok class, today were are going to...."

Did the parents know ahead of time? I still think it could be a valuable way to get through to kids to show them how wrong slavery was. And I'm certainly not keen on one person being offended and hollering about it and gets whole thing yanked. Did any other parents complain about it?

All it takes is 1 person to be offended and theres a law suit, the schools are broke so they can't afford to do shit like this anymore.

Yeah and that sucks. I was ready to fight when the one mom in my kids class wanted the Halloween party completely changed, and all mention of Halloween nixed and the party called a Fall Festival, because her kid didn't celebrate it. I'm just not a fan of one person yipping and everyone gets all bug-eyed and cow tows to them.

Did the parents know ahead of time? I still think it could be a valuable way to get through to kids to show them how wrong slavery was. And I'm certainly not keen on one person being offended and hollering about it and gets whole thing yanked. Did any other parents complain about it?

All it takes is 1 person to be offended and theres a law suit, the schools are broke so they can't afford to do shit like this anymore.

Yeah and that sucks. I was ready to fight when the one mom in my kids class wanted the Halloween party completely changed, and all mention of Halloween nixed and the party called a Fall Festival, because her kid didn't celebrate it. I'm just not a fan of one person yipping and everyone gets all bug-eyed and cow tows to them.

The schools in our country are in grave danger, especially the inner city schools. Half the schools in my hometown Kansas City closed down and they fired 3000 teachers, things are not looking good. The schools are walking on egg shells because they really can't afford to be paying out lawsuits for offending people.

Thats what I'm saying, imagine a white teacher trying to pull that in a majority black inner city school, it would have been a royal rumble.

I imagine if it was planned ahead, everyone including the parents knew what was going to happen AND they used volunteers.

Doesn't seem like parents knew ahead of time, or this would not have occured.

Aside from that, I'm looking at this through the eyes of someone that had to do the same thing. and wanted to discuss that part. (tunnel vision, if you will)

As far as one person getting bent outta shape and closing things down. well that's how it works now-a-days.

Honestly I'm shocked we still have contact sports.

It was probably one of the moms that was pissed that it's not Christmas break but is know winter break.

Hmmm I wouldn't have been ok with it, if you start going down this road whats next? mock holocaust exercises with some kids as Jews and some as Nazis?

Why not?

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Also if it's volunteer, they could make attendance voluntary, with the kids that stay getting extra credit, or something.

Take the holocost. All most know are the pics, the body count and how they were killed.

Saw a special last year with a survivor that worked in one. After they gased a group of jews, he pulled out a living baby, someone lifted it above the gas level. He took the baby to a German officer and said "Look, it's a miracle!" The officer then pulled his pistol and shot the baby in the head.

I think that's something worth telling and remembering. If re-enactment helps..

I don't like it because kids don't take anything seriously, the kids would make fun of the Jews and make a joke out of it, same thing with slave auctions. Kids don't give a fuck about any of that, all you can do is teach them about it and hope it got through to their thick skulls.

Well, slavery was such an integral part of the US's history, where as the Holocaust wasn't. Well it was but it didn't happen here, it happened there, you know? It's U.S. history that happened on U.S. soil. Maybe the reason you don't like it - that kids might not take it seriously - is why I'm ok with it because I think they might. Kids tend to zone out just hearing or reading about subjects . . .maybe re-enacting it and getting them involved would develop a better understanding. Sometimes moving out of one's comfort zone yields positive results. Maybe that's all the teacher was trying to do . . . .

It was probably one of the moms that was pissed that it's not Christmas break but is know winter break.

:lol: Could be.

Aside from that, I'm looking at this through the eyes of someone that had to do the same thing. and wanted to discuss that part. (tunnel vision, if you will)

As far as one person getting bent outta shape and closing things down. well that's how it works now-a-days.

Well it shouldn't. I think that's crap, I've always thought that.

When I was in 5th grade we had a one-day class trip from suburbs of Philly to Gettysburg. My mom and dad thought it was too far for a 10 year old. They didn't rant and rave about it to the school making a big-assed fuss over it, they simply kept me home from school that day. Sometimes the simplest solutions . . . .

Why not?

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Also if it's volunteer, they could make attendance voluntary, with the kids that stay getting extra credit, or something.

Take the holocost. All most know are the pics, the body count and how they were killed.

Saw a special last year with a survivor that worked in one. After they gased a group of jews, he pulled out a living baby, someone lifted it above the gas level. He took the baby to a German officer and said "Look, it's a miracle!" The officer then pulled his pistol and shot the baby in the head.

I think that's something worth telling and remembering. If re-enactment helps..

I don't like it because kids don't take anything seriously, the kids would make fun of the Jews and make a joke out of it, same thing with slave auctions. Kids don't give a fuck about any of that, all you can do is teach them about it and hope it got through to their thick skulls.

Well, slavery was such an integral part of the US's history, where as the Holocaust wasn't. Well it was but it didn't happen here, it happened there, you know? It's U.S. history that happened on U.S. soil. Maybe the reason you don't like it - that kids might not take it seriously - is why I'm ok with it because I think they might. Kids tend to zone out just hearing or reading about subjects . . .maybe re-enacting it and getting them involved would develop a better understanding. Sometimes moving out of one's comfort zone yields positive results. Maybe that's all the teacher was trying to do . . . .

THAT!!

That is a great reason. thank you Zoom, I knew someone would find just cause for this!!

When I was in 5th grade we had a one-day class trip from suburbs of Philly to Gettysburg. My mom and dad thought it was too far for a 10 year old. They didn't rant and rave about it to the school making a big-assed fuss over it, they simply kept me home from school that day. Sometimes the simplest solutions . . . .

That's not that far.

pfft

In 1st grade I got to go some 80 miles to a museum in Chicago.

They made us hold hands and everything!! I had to get so many coutie shots form all the girls touching me, I thought I would never recover. :eusa_angel:

That's not that far.

pfft

In 1st grade I got to go some 80 miles to a museum in Chicago.

They made us hold hands and everything!! I had to get so many coutie shots form all the girls touching me, I thought I would never recover. :eusa_angel:

Oh YEAH??? Well I had to walk to the bus stop AND back AND had to contend with Horton, the neighbors springer spaniel! So there! :lol:

Forum List

Back