Ohio Needs $8 Billion -- Brother Can You Spare A Dime?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Madeline, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Anti-tax pledges add intrigue to upcoming Ohio budget process | cleveland.com

Function FY2010 FY2011 Total Educat...,676,487,088 $56,624,750,411 $112,301,237,498

Ohio state budget - Sunshine Review

(Believe me, I have tried hard to google the different types and amounts of State of Ohio revenues without success....if you know of a web site that has this data, please advise.)

So what has been suggested? Increasing fees on Ohioans for such things as hunting licenses. But enough to generate $8 Billion? We'd have to have fees so high, only a millionaire could afford to pay them.

My idea is, go through the criminal code and decriminalize whatever behavior this state's residents can tolerate. Such things as marijuana and prostitution (I would create a new crime regarding creating an unsafe condition in one's neighborhood, but failing this new standard applying, the behaviors should be legal.) As to each such behavior newly decriminalized, release from custody or probation and parole any resident who was charged under that former crime and automatically expunge their record. This state spent $49,530,928,235 on Justice and Public Protection in the last billing cycle; it seems likely and/or possible that a wide-ranging decriminalization plan would be able to shave 16% off that amount. In this same vein, eliminate the death penalty and associated costs will fall considerably, as LWOP is much less expensive.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,149
    What the heck are they paying for that requires $8 billion dollars they don't have?

3. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    If I had to guess. Medicare/Caid Obligations, Pensions, and Government worker Salaries and Benefits.

4. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,094
    I see Ohio turning back to blue in approximately 730 days, give or take.

5. shintao

shintao Take Down ~ Tap Out

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    When things need to be tightened, the republicans always go for the working poor among you. No surprise here..........................

http://tiny.cc/scl31

6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    State Revenues, all sources:

State Expenses, all catagories:

Federal Spending, State and Local Public Spending for 2010 - Charts

This website lists the same data for all 50 states. If you compare Ohio to states with a high rate of executions, e.g., Florida, you'll see "Public Protection" is a much larger share of their budget. Ohio uses 9.13% of Total Spending on this catagory of expense compared to 11.95% for Florida. Doubtless, none of these figures includes the cost of Appellate Judge time, for consideration of post-execution appeals. When I left Florida, its Supreme Court's time was devoted 50% to death penalty appeals. Not all appeals from all criminal cases -- ONLY death penalty cases.

The other item I think is noteworthy is Pensions. In Ohio, the last budget year had the state spending MORE to contribute to pensions that it did on all of Public Protection -- a whacking 9.77% of Total Spending. Even assuming that funding obligations are fairly stated nowadays (which I dun believe for a moment) that amount is just enormous. The state should convert all its defined benefit plans to defined contribution ones immediately -- including those that are actively paying retirees now -- and then reduce employer matching to a sane level, say 5% of salary or $5,000, whichever is greater. If the state is paying for the health insurance of retirees, that should also be stopped. We are currently treating retired state employees as if they are virtually "still on the payroll" and that we cannot afford......these people are going to have to save for their retirements just as most everyone in the private sector does.

And I mean "all" pensions -- Police, Fire, Teacher -- every employee should feel the pain.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. Rozman

Rozman Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,687
    The Dems answer is spend,spend,spend.....Make sure those union workers make top dollar,get their health care for life for them and their family totally paid for,make sure their pensions are paid for by the company.Sweeeeet !.

8. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,149
    Looks like you are correct.

At what point do we admit the politicians lied to everyone and there is no money for these things?

9. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Because the voters will perfer unsustainable spending levels?

10. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,149
    are you seriously suggesting that people are completely helpless without government handouts?