Ohio Is Poised To Be The First State To Roll Back Its Renewable Energy Standard

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Ohio Is Poised To Be The First State To Roll Back Its Renewable Energy Standard

Ohio Is Poised To Be The First State To Roll Back Its Renewable Energy Standard | ThinkProgress
The Ohio state legislature approved a bill on Wednesday that would make the Buckeye State the first in the nation to actually halt its renewable energy standard (RES).

The State House voted 53-38 to pass SB 310, a bill freezing the RES at current levels for two years. It would also halt Ohio’s energy efficiency program. During those two years, a “study committee” would review the impact of the standard.

This vote to gut the RES comes six years after the bill establishing it (SB 221) passed almost unanimously, with only one single dissenting vote in either state legislative chamber. Since then, the standards have been wildly popular, with a recent poll showing that 70 percent of Ohioans support them.

According to the original legislation, the renewable energy standard in 2014 is 2.5 percent (including wind, hydro, and biomass), with that number bumping up a percentage point per year to 12.5 percent in 2025. By that point, 0.5 percent would have to come from solar — currently that requirement is 0.12 percent. The same step up to 12.5 percent would happen for “advanced” energy, like nuclear.

I think we should keep solar but get real in invest a few hundred billion dollars into fusion.

Last edited:
How much have their utility bills risen? Getting regular requests for extra dough here in the double digit range.

Not surprising. It doesn't work as advertised. It gets cold and hot in Ohio, they need their energy cost to be low. Renewables, contrary to the BS olfraud tries to feed you, are
far more expensive and nowhere near as reliable as fossil fueled plants.

It's as simple as that.

My Brother bought a property in Aspen, had solar and geothermal installed which reduced his heating and cooling bills by 2/3rds. So IT DOES WORK!!!

Geothermal does. My friend bought 8 all weather solar panels with wirly gig to help em, batts, all he wanted was temp backup cability from it and it cant even accomplish that.

My Brother bought a property in Aspen, had solar and geothermal installed which reduced his heating and cooling bills by 2/3rds. So IT DOES WORK!!!

I have solar (and have had it for approaching 30 years now) and a water wheel, so have way more experience than you, or he...and yes...it does work...at the INDIVIDUAL LEVEL..
It does not however, scale up to a grid level source.

I have solar (and have had it for approaching 30 years now) and a water wheel, so have way more experience than you, or he...and yes...it does work...at the INDIVIDUAL LEVEL..

Nevada Power, who installed three huge solar panels in the southwest part of Vegas which has provided 'extra' power during the summer. Since installation, Nevada power hasn't found a need to buy extra energy during the summer months.

The individual level is correct. If we had mandated solar in 2000, there would be hundreds of thousands of homes pulling less from the grid.

Nevada Power, who installed three huge solar panels in the southwest part of Vegas which has provided 'extra' power during the summer. Since installation, Nevada power hasn't found a need to buy extra energy during the summer months.

The individual level is correct. If we had mandated solar in 2000, there would be hundreds of thousands of homes pulling less from the grid.

You talking about Ivanpah Willis? There is actually no evidence that they are producing solar power at all. In fact, they recently got a modification to their permit so they can run their natural gas boilers for even more time.

Really, for someone who claims to be so wealthy you are remarkable uninformed....that's not a trait of the wealthy...:eusa_whistle:

"It's been lauded as the world's largest solar power plant, but the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System could also be called the world's largest gas-fired power plant (largest as in physical size, not gas consumption). Each of the 4,000-acre facility's three units has gas-fired boilers used to warm up the fluid in the turbines in the early morning, to keep that fluid at an optimum temperature through the night, and to boost production during the day when the sun goes behind a cloud.

The project's managers, BrightSource Energy and NRG Energy, originally estimated that the plant's main auxiliary boilers would need to run for an hour a day, on average, to allow the plant to capture solar energy efficiently. But after a few months of operation, they're now saying they need to burn more gas, with the boilers running an average of five hours a day.

To that end, the companies have asked the California Energy Commission (CEC) to change the project's license to allow Ivanpah to burn more than 1.5 billion cubic feet of gas a year, and the plant's operators say that change won't have any environmental impact."

Ivanpah Solar Plant Owners Want To Burn a Lot More Natural Gas | Concentrating Solar | ReWire | KCET

Really, for someone who claims to be so wealthy you are remarkable uninformed....that's not a trait of the wealthy...:eusa_whistle:

Better back off. Dude owns TWO Teslas. Obviously knows his shit. :cool:

With his level of cluelessness he wouldn't be able to open the damned door!

You talking about Ivanpah Willis?

No. The joint venture with UNLV on Flamingo, and Russell at the 95.

I also own a boatload of Tesla stock (IPO) + 12M in three years.

btw; AT&T purchased DirectTV. Two years ago I suggested investments in WiFi, anybody buy?

There's a lot of wind in Ohio, and a considerable number of waterways usable for waterwheels (at least for 8 months of the year.) Solar power not so much, but some.

"Individual" isn't the only viable classification. "Community" off-grid power is also feasible, powering the streetlights and City Halls, for example.

Forum List

Back