Solar Freaking Roadways

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU#t=184]Solar FREAKIN' Roadways! - YouTube[/ame]

I am sold. It sounds great and the creator of the video was a great salesman. However, I think something like this could work. The initial investment would be ginormous. The conservatives would fight it tooth and nail, but if the benefits are turn it solves many problems:

(1) A renewable source energy.
(2) Dollars saved on the roadways - no paving and no salting.
(3) No more ice and snow on the roads.
(4) It uses a system that would get rid of power-lines and get everything underground.

I'm sold when can we break ground! :D

Solar FREAKIN' Roadways! - YouTube

I am sold. It sounds great and the creator of the video was a great salesman. However, I think something like this could work. The initial investment would be ginormous. The conservatives would fight it tooth and nail, but if the benefits are turn it solves many problems:

(1) A renewable source energy.
(2) Dollars saved on the roadways - no paving and no salting.
(3) No more ice and snow on the roads.
(4) It uses a system that would get rid of power-lines and get everything underground.

I'm sold when can we break ground! :D

I'm only riding that shit if I can play as Yoshi or Wario

Years in Silicon Valley taught me that the Best way to be forced to accept the limits of a
technology was to lose TONS of money trying to misuse it..

This topic was done here ----- http://www.usmessageboard.com/environment/356375-is-this-really-do-able.html#post9155537

Bottom line is -- a bunch of naive star-gazers need to lose that ton of money so that everyone understands that no one is sandbagging solar technology. So many bad ideas in this pitch -- it would be hard to pick one. But your ought to have picked up on the "no more ice and snow" bullshit fairly quickly.

On the NIGHTS and DAYS when you NEED road warming -- there IS limited or NO SUN to warm all this electrically heated roadway or power BILLIONS of LEDs at night to mark hazards...

I'd call this a borderline scam. They couldn't get any actual investors, and had burned through their government grant with no results, so they made a cool video and got people to donate.

I can beleive that this is the technology of the future, but how long will it take to make it happen? 10 years or over 100 years or some time in between?

When will it be ready?

When we can make a transparent substance that wears better than concrete.

And which has traction as good as concrete, but still manages to be clear.

And when there's some miracle substance to seal the joints perfectly for decades, given that water leaking in would short it out.

Holland Wins 7th Australian Solar-Powered Car Race...
thumbsup.gif

Dutch Team Wins 7th Australian Solar-Powered Car Race
October 12, 2017 — A Dutch team won a solar-powered car race across Australia for a seventh time on Thursday, with a University of Michigan car likely to take second place in the biennial event.
The Nuon team's Nuna 9 car averaged more than 80 kph (50 mph) to reach the World Solar Challenge finish line in the southern coastal city of Adelaide after five days of racing across 3,022 kilometers (1,878 miles) of Outback highway from Darwin in the north. The Delft University of Technology-based team has competed eight times.

72AB4A31-8E46-4B98-AECA-F52CFDE7DC15_w1023_r1_s.jpg

This handout from the World Solar Challenge taken and received on October 11, 2017, shows the Solar Team Twente vehicle "RED Shift" of Netherland in action near Coober Pedy on the fourth day of racing.​

The U.S. car Novum had yet to finish but was in second place followed by the Punch Powertrain team from Belgium, Tokai University from Japan and Solar Team Twente from the Netherlands.

Nuon team engineer Marten Arthens described the win as the “best feeling ever.” “We're going to celebrate, but first I'm going to take a shower. I haven't done that a week,” Arthens said. This year's race attracted 95 teams from more than 20 countries. The event marks 30 years since the first World Solar Challenge in 1987.

Dutch Team Wins 7th Australian Solar-Powered Car Race

Forum List

Back