Official 2009 World Series Thread

Apparently Girardi stopped on the freeway at like 2am after leaving the stadium and helped out in a car accident he was passing by :lol:

Check ESPN for it, I saw a quick piece on it earlier but haven't really seen the story.

Jeter had a hit in every game in the post season.

He is amazing
Still want to fire Joe? ;)

I still think he is an awful manager and made bad decision after bad decision during the playoffs.

It's not difficult to win when you put the best players on the field...Managers lose you more games then they win you.

He made a lot of boneheaded decisions through the post season including the World Series

Jeter had a hit in every game in the post season.

He is amazing
Still want to fire Joe? ;)

I still think he is an awful manager and made bad decision after bad decision during the playoffs.

It's not difficult to win when you put the best players on the field...Managers lose you more games then they win you.

He made a lot of boneheaded decisions through the post season including the World Series
We know know that andrew is really Steinbrenner posting under another name! :lol:

Why Joe is NOT at all a bad manager.

Every manager (first of all) makes decisions that WILL BE and promptly ARE second guessed.

Secondly, there have been many managers blessed with teams filled with the true superstars of their day; but not all of those managers were able to steer the team to victory at the end of the season. What does that tell us?

I believe it tells us that there are quite a few factors that go-into the proper analysis of how qualified a manager is -- or isn't. If it can't determined JUST by seeing how a decision turned out (i.e., a GREAT managerial move can still backfire), then there MUST be other factors that go into the analysis.

I hereby offer one for your consideration: OVERALL, does the behavior and leadership of the manager create a true sense of "TEAM," that helps the players work with and rely on each other rather than fostering the showboat crap that undercuts any chance of teamwork?

Why does that matter? Because (I contend) if a team loaded with superstars is no guarantee of victory, then maybe it's the creation of a TEAM attitude that forges ultimate victory.

I think it is crystal clear that Joe Girardi forged a bunch of highly talented individual stars into a true TEAM.

I also believe that they were able to win largely because of that.

(It's either that or I'm just all wrong and shit.)

he is an awful manager...The team won in despite his managerial blunders. I can make a nice list of all the mistakes he made this post season alone and how he let some games go or let them get to close.

Baseball is an individual sport...The Yankees may not have won a world series since 2000 but they have been in contention every year with the exception of last year because they ahve all stars in all spots.

he is an awful manager...The team won in despite his managerial blunders. I can make a nice list of all the mistakes he made this post season alone and how he let some games go or let them get to close.

Baseball is an individual sport...The Yankees may not have won a world series since 2000 but they have been in contention every year with the exception of last year because they ahve all stars in all spots.

But what you have to take into consideration is that many players have a tendency towards selfishness. If a team doesn't like their manager, they will play for themselves. It got that way with Bowa in Philly. He would literally lambaste players for mistakes. Not Pinella-style, but he got on your ass. It got to where they didn't like playing for him. He wasn't a "player's manager".

It takes a certain ability to manage all those egos. Torre had it. That was why when they were considering managers I was all about Mattingly. I couldn't imagine anyone better for that job than Donny B.

But hey, doesn't matter now.

I was a bit of a Yankee fan way back in the day when Mattingly was there, but more of a Mattingly fan really. He's probably in my fave 5.

I like defense. I'd rather watch a robbed home run, or a diving catch, or a really nice short hop scoop at first after an awesome DP relay...than any home run you could show me.

Mattingly was that dude.

lol..i don't know. I mean yeah the manager has to be able to be a likeable guy...thats obvious.

My friend sent me a text message this morning that made me laugh.

this morning I got

"I'm glad the Yankees won the world series because Girardi took them to play pool"

lol

You have to be liked...but he made a lot of bone head decisions...no way around that. If he would have lost this series he probably would have gotten fired

Last edited:
I was a bit of a Yankee fan way back in the day when Mattingly was there, but more of a Mattingly fan really. He's probably in my fave 5.

I like defense. I'd rather watch a robbed home run, or a diving catch, or a really nice short hop scoop at first after an awesome DP relay...than any home run you could show me.

Mattingly was that dude.

donny baseball was my fav player growing up..used to love watch him play

lol..i don't know. I mean yeah the manager has to be able to be a likeable guy...thats obvious.

My friend sent me a text message this morning that made me laugh.

this morning I got

"I'm glad the Yankees won the world series because Girardi took them to play pool"

lol

You have to be liked...but he made a lot of bone head decisions...no way around that. If he would have lost this series he probably would have gotten fired

My main point was managing the egos.

All the all-stars in the league won't get you anywhere if their individual egos are taking precedence over their team.

All that money, all those huge contracts...the fame of being a Yankee player...

Maybe that's why Showalter couldn't get it done :eusa_think:

Normally I root against the Yankees and A Rod, but this year was different. The Phillies were the returning champs so they almost made the Yankees the underdogs. And A Rod wants a championship soooo bad. That's obvious. And while I used to not want him to have one, this year I wanted to see him get it. And the Yankees were amazing. If not A Rod, then Jeter, or Matsuie, or any of those other guys. If one or two had a bad day, and they all did, then the others stepped up.

And in a way, I'm glad to see the Yankees are back. They set the bar. They're always fun to watch. Every game in NY seems a special occasion.

And can you imagine being Jeter or A Rod living in NY? Jeter reminds me of Bruce Wayne. That guy probably gets so much ass its sick.

Go Tigers. Next year we'll have a better team, I hope.

lol...I'm happy dude...trust me. i am still in Euphoria. I have been watching my DVR all day replaying the last 2 innings.

My fav line of the series is Joe Buck

"And Girardi wastes no time to bring in Mariano. Here comes the HAMMER!!!"

lol

love it.

I only wish they let the camera keep rolling when he came in and enter sandman was playing...they cut it off only after 3 notes and went to commercial.

Anyway back on point.

He didn't win 103 games...the players on the field did. Managers lose you more games then they win you

We are each entitled to our opinion.

Yours is stupid.

best regards,

Liability.

We are each entitled to our opinion.

Yours is stupid.

best regards,

Liability.

I have more baseball knowledge in my toe nail clippings then you have in your entire body...To argue that Girardi is a great manager shows how utterly retarded you are. He is a mediocre manager. The only positive I will give him is resting up CC. If he puts Joba back in the starter role next year it just reaffirms my thoughts on what a retard he really is.

lol...I'm happy dude...trust me. i am still in Euphoria. I have been watching my DVR all day replaying the last 2 innings.

My fav line of the series is Joe Buck

"And Girardi wastes no time to bring in Mariano. Here comes the HAMMER!!!"

lol

love it.

I only wish they let the camera keep rolling when he came in and enter sandman was playing...they cut it off only after 3 notes and went to commercial.

Anyway back on point.

He didn't win 103 games...the players on the field did. Managers lose you more games then they win you

Yeah, it was pretty obvious Buck couldn't wait to put yet even MORE Yankee penis into his mouth :lol:

I feel you on the DVR, though. I kept game 5 from last year and replayed it a million times for the first couple days, then let it marinate until like January when I was feening for some baseball.

Put it back on one day to watch it again and it made my day. That, plus the official season DVD where they also show all the behind the scenes shit from the dugout and the clubhouse.

Nothing cooler, man.

oh yeah...prior to all the post seasons I always go through (this is the only reason I own a vcr still) my 96,98-00 Official World series videos. It's so great to see.

My favorite one is in 1996 when yanks are down 2-0 and it's game 3 and some hillbilly Braves fan says during the 1st inning or so "we don't need the chop anymore...this series is over!" Only to see the Yanks win the next 3 during their last games at that field :)

Love those videos! Can't wait for this one to come out. I spent close to 3 bills to day buying all the Yankee stuff

Forum List

Back