Oddity about the movie "Stripes".

I think it was the blonde thing. But yes Sean Young was way hotter. Check out The Boost.

I took basic in 1982 on Fort Knox where the movie was shot and then spent two years in Germany. There was some hard work and sleeping in snow but also plenty of laughs and a decent amount of pussy. You had to get used to hairy armpits but the girls weren't inhibited as Americans were in those days.

Cool. I did OSUT in 1991 at the Army Engineer School, Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. Middle of the summer, heat indexes, guys dropping over from heat exhaustion. Silence of the Lambs and The Black album came out that year. I went through boot camp, AIT, airborne and ranger school with the same three guys, two of them also from PA, before landing at my first duty station, which was everything I didn't want it to be. I got airborne and ranger school in my contract when I entered the delayed entry program in 1989, in tenth grade. I wanted to follow in my grandfather's footsteps. He had been a paratrooper during WWII. Instead, after going through both high speed schools I landed in a mechanized armor engineer battalion. I was doing parachute landing falls off the M113 APC they had me driving, trying like hell to get to an airborne unit for the next couple of years, which I eventually did. By then I hadn't jumped in over two years, so I was shitting myself when I had to do requalification jumps. Anyway . . .

I ended up at Ft. Campbell KY. Never figured out why the town hated soldiers so much. We were not really welcome anywhere. Miserable place.

That's like sailors in Norfolk, Virginia.

Sailors referred to it as "Nofuck, Vagina"...

Usually the leading man gets the foxy woman, but in the case of Stripes, the second banana, Harold Ramis got the better looking MP. Sean Young looked fantastic when the movie was shot in 1980. She couldn't act worth a hoot, but who cares? Whereas Bill Murray's character got PJ Soles who was 30, slightly older than Murray, and so-so looking. Ramis was 36 when the movie was made to Young's 21. Quite a gap there. I wonder who made those casting decisions and why.

Just a little anomaly I noticed.

View attachment 686585

PJ Soles was hot.

Sean Young is crazy!

Usually the leading man gets the foxy woman, but in the case of Stripes, the second banana, Harold Ramis got the better looking MP. Sean Young looked fantastic when the movie was shot in 1980. She couldn't act worth a hoot, but who cares? Whereas Bill Murray's character got PJ Soles who was 30, slightly older than Murray, and so-so looking. Ramis was 36 when the movie was made to Young's 21. Quite a gap there. I wonder who made those casting decisions and why.

Just a little anomaly I noticed.

View attachment 686585

"Lighten up Francis".

I think he wrote and co-directed the movie that led a generation of dumbasses into thinking the army was a barrel of laughs and pussy.
Judging from the Afghanistan pull out they were spot on.

I liked the movie until right after they stole that RV thing. It got even more stupid which to me was intolerable. Semi stupid is ok. Bad stupid not so much. :D

Cool. I did OSUT in 1991 at the Army Engineer School, Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. Middle of the summer, heat indexes, guys dropping over from heat exhaustion. Silence of the Lambs and The Black album came out that year. I went through boot camp, AIT, airborne and ranger school with the same three guys, two of them also from PA, before landing at my first duty station, which was everything I didn't want it to be. I got airborne and ranger school in my contract when I entered the delayed entry program in 1989, in tenth grade. I wanted to follow in my grandfather's footsteps. He had been a paratrooper during WWII. Instead, after going through both high speed schools I landed in a mechanized armor engineer battalion. I was doing parachute landing falls off the M113 APC they had me driving, trying like hell to get to an airborne unit for the next couple of years, which I eventually did. By then I hadn't jumped in over two years, so I was shitting myself when I had to do requalification jumps. Anyway . . .

"Ft. Lost in the Woods".

The only thing I noticed in that movie was how archaic and out of date our military equipment was in 1980, when that movie was made.

Jimmy Carter was President then, so that explains everything.
By the RV was top of the line.

I liked the movie until right after they stole that RV thing. It got even more stupid which to me was intolerable. Semi stupid is ok. Bad stupid not so much. :D
Yep, it was like it was 2 different movies (or written by 2 different people).

Warren Oats and John Candy were the best ones in Stripes.
Bill Murray was disappointing in Stripes.
People say that Bill Murray is an obnoxious jerk to work with.

I know, I was one of those dumasses. I served my time doing useless busywork then I got out and found something productive to do.

You'd cream in your underwear if you had back then the equipment we have now.

Warren Oats and John Candy were the best ones in Stripes.
Bill Murray was disappointing in Stripes.
People say that Bill Murray is an obnoxious jerk to work with.

Along with his brothers, he owns a restaurant here called, unsurprisingly, "Caddyshack". He owns it with his brothers, only one of which I think isn't an actor. The restaurant is located up in World Gold Village near the World Golf Hall of Fame.

The Murray Brothers do a charity golf tournament every year, and all of the brothers attend. Every one of them, Bill included, is approachable, warm and engaging. I've had the opportunity to golf with him twice over the last several years and, well, let's just say it's never your typical golf game.

As to being difficult to work with, this is what he said in an interview with Esquire:

"When I work, my first relationship with people is professional. There are people who want to be your friend right away. I say, "We're not gonna be friends until we get this done. If we don't get this done, we're never going to be friends, because if we don't get the job done, then the one thing we did together that we had to do together we failed."

I can definitely see how that might be off-putting to some, but he's a detail-oriented guy when he's working, and that's hardly a bad thing...

Really, the movie was depraved. I saw it with a pretty girl who gave me an active invitation to spend the night later that summer. I demurred. She thought I was a naive bumpkin. Who would refuse that? When I left her apartment, her parting words were "Someday you'll learn". She had no concept of why I would turn down sex. Believe me, it wasn't easy. Not when you're 22. But I know I would have been one in a line of many, had I done it. She didn't care about me. There was no love there. Earlier, I had brought up religion, and she laughed like the notion was ridiculous. She was and is an atheist. That made me very sad at the time, because I liked her. Today she's an attorney and an angry leftwing activist. Divorced, of course. But still pretty good to look at.

Last edited:
"That's a fact Jack". The movie was lame and mildly insulting but that was the trend. It was Caddyshack in uniform. Ho-hum.

Blah ... blah ... blah ... P.J. Soles isn't hot ... blah ... blah ... blah

I won't ask if you're insane because, clearly, you are...

CVEhiTOXIAAHE7s.jpg

Yeah-BONE!

I asked my recruiter about jump school and he advised me to put in for it at AIT, not mentioning the possibility of having it in my contract. I went later as a reservist and ROTC Cadidiot, wet bulb at near max the whole three weeks. Then went to Rigger school, but served my time as a REMF Quartermaster Lieutenant.

But I got to go through Checkpoint Charlie as a young soldier and then see the wall come down in my next European tour. It's a good life for a young man.

Forum List

Back