Occupy Will Eclipse the Activism of the 1960s

I believe that, in the annals of history, the "Occupy" movement will barely be a blip on the radar.
Whose history?
The Republicans OR the Democrats.
Few protest movements are clear on tactics or demands when they first begin.
They spark conversations (like this one), raise awareness, and attract like minded people to the cause.
Occupy has already accomplished all of those goals.
Wall Street greed will do the rest.
Unless, of course, you are referring to history written by Goldman Sachs.

I believe that, in the annals of history, the "Occupy" movement will barely be a blip on the radar.
Whose history?
They spark conversations (like this one), raise awareness, and attract like minded people to the cause.

I refer to our nation's history. I don't see any staying power in their protests. I don't see their protests effecting any change in the long term, hell, not even in the short term. It's all pretty much business as usual.

Sorry man, that's just my take...

Last edited:
Occupy leaders were pissed as hell people were stealing their ipods and laptops. I think they didn't want to feed the homeless either. And oh darn, they were asking folks not to report rapes so they didn't look bad.

Yea, those occupiers are gonna eclipse the 60s movement, many of whom are now members of the Tea Party. :lol:

Whose history?

I refer to our nation's history. I don't see any staying power in their protests. I don't see their protests effecting any change in the long term, hell, not even in the short term. It's all pretty much business as usual.

That's alright, we'll just have to agree to disagree, for now.

It might be worthwhile to ask how bad the economy will have to get before millions of US citizens (and others) are forced into choosing between Occupy and Wall Street?

Typical lefty illogic.
"We were struggling to wade through all of the rumors we were hearing — We heard that the police were telling convicts and bums to, 'take it to Zuccotti', if they were causing disturbances in public. We heard that the police would stand and watch as things in the park got out of hand. That some of the protesters were drinking and doing drugs at night. That there were anarchists in Zuccotti urging violence against the police."

The Truth About Crime And Sexual Assault At Occupy Wall Street - Business Insider

Not any doubt about Wall Street's rape of the global economy, is there righty?

LOL. Even greater illogic. The pot has rotted your pea brian, Cheech.

Occupy leaders were pissed as hell people were stealing their ipods and laptops. I think they didn't want to feed the homeless either. And oh darn, they were asking folks not to report rapes so they didn't look bad.

Yea, those occupiers are gonna eclipse the 60s movement, many of whom are now members of the Tea Party. :lol:
Do you get angry when something you value is stolen?
Think how the thousands who were fraudulently evicted from their homes feel.

"The Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, known as MERS, is a privately held company that operates an electronic registry designed to track servicing rights and ownership of mortgage loans in the United States.[16][17]

"As of the crisis 62 million mortgages are held in the name of MERS,[18] and MERS has initiated thousands of foreclosures in the United States, claiming to be the mortgagee of record. Lawyers have contended in court that MERS has no legal right to initiate a foreclosure, because MERS does not own the loans in question. U.S. lending laws state that only the owner of a loan can initiate a foreclosure."

2010 United States foreclosure crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whose history?

It might be worthwhile to ask how bad the economy will have to get before millions of US citizens (and others) are forced into choosing between Occupy and Wall Street?

Ah, more Marxist fantasy-play! You gonna take to the streets with your pitch-fork, big mouth? No, I didn't think so.

Whose history?

I think that, as long as people hold out hope that they too can hit it big on Wall Street, it'll have to get pretty damn shitty...

Ah, more Marxist fantasy-play! You gonna take to the streets with your pitch-fork, big mouth? No, I didn't think so.
I missed a payment, Loser; my pitchfork's been repossessed.

I was thinking about voting against every Republican AND Democrat running for reelection next November 6th.

What's your plan?

I think that, as long as people hold out hope that they too can hit it big on Wall Street, it'll have to get pretty damn shitty...
One of those being interviewed in the movie Inside Job made the claim that when the cold war ended some of the best minds in the country stopped working on traditional weapons of mass destruction and migrated to Wall Street.

At some point in our upcoming economic collapse (like the Soviets in the 1990s?) hyperinflation may rear its head. If you wake one morning to find every $10 bill in your possession has become a $5, who will you blame?

Do you get angry when something you value is stolen?

I assume you are asking the banks that actually own the houses in question.
How do you expect a bank to prove ownership when the original mortgage has been pooled with thousands of others, then sliced and diced into various tranches of risk?

Voodoo Economics?

Occupy Will Surpass the Gains of 1960s Activism

That's gonna take an awful-lotta-effort.....

When Hippies Jump-Started America's Soul

.....but, BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

ABBIE-HOFFMAN-NYC-196-2-th.jpg

It's weird that everyone here talks about OWS as some sort of organized movement.

It was just an ad hoc collection of disgruntled people.

It had a significant political impact in the first few weeks, but fizzled out (and degenrated) due to lack of leadership and direction.

“One of the things that the Occupy movement seems to have going for it is it has not turned around and issued a set of formal demands. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Everyone is looking for a set of demands. The problem is that as soon as you pipe up with a list of four or five things — and you’ve got to keep it simple and short — then somebody’s going to say, ‘Well, we gave you 70 percent of it, now go home.’ And the fact is, that’s exactly the sort of thing that happened with the Tea Party.”

3126b546-1a31-408b-80fd-763894a1c50a.jpg

827.gif

Take it from me kid, OCC has NOTHING on the Demonstrators and Movements of the 60's.

It's Support is only a Tiny Fraction of the Support they had.

OCC is down to nothing but a Bunch of anarchist, and Idiots, wake up.

from what I've read anarchist, idiots, and radical lefties had alot to do with the movements of the 60s too.​
.....And, your bud with Mother-issues.....

.....JEDGAR!!!!!!!!

"In 1969 the FBI special agent in San Francisco wrote Hoover that his investigation of the Black Panther Party (BPP) revealed that in his city, at least, the Panthers were primarily feeding breakfast to children. Hoover fired back a memo implying the career ambitions of the agent were directly related to his supplying evidence to support Hoover's view that the BPP was "a violence-prone organization seeking to overthrow the Government by revolutionary means".

Hoover was willing to use false claims to attack his political enemies. In one memo he wrote: "Purpose of counterintelligence action is to disrupt the BPP and it is immaterial whether facts exist to substantiate the charge."

COINTELPRO

You WANNABE-Teabaggers have a LOT to learn!!!!!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back