Occupy L.A. Leaves 30 Tons Of Trash Behind...

"The Occupy Wall Street movement, displaced from some key geographic locations, now enjoys a small but significant encampment among economists.

"Concerns about the impact of growing economic inequality fit neatly into a larger critique of mainstream economic theory and its deep faith in the efficiency of markets.

"Many unbelievers (including me) insist that we inhabit a global capitalist system rather than an efficient market.

"Willingness to use the C-word (capitalism) often signals concerns about a concentration of economic power that unfairly limits individual choices, undermines political democracy, generates financial and ecological crises and limits access to alternative economic ideas..."

Nancy Folbre: Occupy Economics - NYTimes.com

Capitalism deserves the same fate as communism.
Starting in November 2012.

Seriously,this is has to be an embarassment for the Left. I just don't see how it couldn't be.

The sheer volume of personal belongings left behind after the early morning Los Angeles Police Department raid has astonished city workers: books and CDs, luggage and boom boxes, mattresses and dining chairs, cellphones, electric razors, a small red guitar with its neck snapped –- all surrounded by dozens of collapsed and empty tents.

A steady flow of people stopped by the park Wednesday to take photos and video and watch workers in white hazmat suits rake trash into neat piles.
As workers broke down tents and placed them in trash cans, Ramir Delgado, 25, snapped photos out of curiosity.

"It's a shame how I see all trash around here," he said. He pointed to his head. "People don't understand that the freedom starts here in your mind."

Delgado said he was disappointed in Occupy L.A.

"You know why this is filthy and not clean is there isn't leadership," he said.

A few feet away, crews in the hazmat suits raked trash of discarded protest signs, nail polish and jars of peanut butter.

"This looks like pure anarchy," Delgado said, adding, “in a Hollywood way.”

Donna Spurgeon, who snapped pictures on her phone, said she was surprised by the mural in the center of the south lawn.

“How did that get built” she asked of the structure that city officials built around an historic fountain, a structure protesters turned into an art piece.

“If you’re here to protest, don’t deface public property,” Spurgeon said.

She said the aftermath looked like a “little war zone, a little ghetto.”

Occupy L.A.: 30 tons of debris left behind at City Hall tent city - latimes.com
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®
"My name is Patrick Meighan, and I’m a husband, a father, a writer on the Fox animated sitcom 'Family Guy', and a member of the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica.

"I was arrested at about 1 a.m. Wednesday morning with 291 other people at Occupy LA..."

"As we sat there, encircled, a separate team of LAPD officers used knives to slice open every personal tent in the park. They forcibly removed anyone sleeping inside, and then yanked out and destroyed any personal property inside those tents, scattering the contents across the park.

"They then did the same with the communal property of the Occupy LA movement.

"For example, I watched as the LAPD destroyed a pop-up canopy tent that, until that moment, had been serving as Occupy LA’s First Aid and Wellness tent, in which volunteer health professionals gave free medical care to absolutely anyone who requested it.

"As it happens, my family had personally contributed that exact canopy tent to Occupy LA, at a cost of several hundred of my family’s dollars. As I watched, the LAPD sliced that canopy tent to shreds, broke the telescoping poles into pieces and scattered the detritus across the park.

"Note that these were the objects described in subsequent mainstream press reports as '30 tons of garbage' that was 'abandoned' by Occupy LA: personal property forcibly stolen from us, destroyed in front of our eyes and then left for maintenance workers to dispose of while we were sent to prison."

My Occupy LA Arrest | Common Dreams

Paulitician, you disappoint me. Why is there not a cleverly worded poll attached to this thread? You're slacking man.

You're also slacking in your research. If you took any time at all to read a few sources on this story, you would have found that hundreds of protesters were arrested and their personal belongings were destroyed by the police and scattered around the area. The protesters couldn't clean up the area because they were in jail and not being released even when bail was posted.

Seriously dude. This is a story about police brutality. Get with the program.

Taxpayers in these communities will be paying for OWS for a very long time. And these communities were already skating on thin ice. Now thanks to OWS,they've fallen through the ice.

Taxpayers in these communities will be paying for OWS for a very long time. And these communities were already skating on thin ice. Now thanks to OWS,they've fallen through the ice.

There we go. There's the Paulitician I know. Blindly ignoring posts that you disagree with and posting nonsensical rants.

Good work.

Seriously,this is has to be an embarassment for the Left. I just don't see how it couldn't be.

The sheer volume of personal belongings left behind after the early morning Los Angeles Police Department raid has astonished city workers: books and CDs, luggage and boom boxes, mattresses and dining chairs, cellphones, electric razors, a small red guitar with its neck snapped –- all surrounded by dozens of collapsed and empty tents.

A steady flow of people stopped by the park Wednesday to take photos and video and watch workers in white hazmat suits rake trash into neat piles.
As workers broke down tents and placed them in trash cans, Ramir Delgado, 25, snapped photos out of curiosity.

"It's a shame how I see all trash around here," he said. He pointed to his head. "People don't understand that the freedom starts here in your mind."

A few feet away, crews in the hazmat suits raked trash of discarded protest signs, nail polish and jars of peanut butter.

Donna Spurgeon, who snapped pictures on her phone, said she was surprised by the mural in the center of the south lawn.

“How did that get built” she asked of the structure that city officials built around an historic fountain, a structure protesters turned into an art piece.

DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

I don't see how this has to be an embarrassment for the Left. Just because the OWS is full of assholes, it doesn't mean what the ideas they are protesting are no longer legitimate.

People are people. If the Tea Party movement had gotten this large, I guarantee you we'd be facing the same issues. Hell, either that, or they'd be firing automatic weapons into the sky.

So many are forgetting the huge Taxpayer costs OWS has inflicted on these communities who were already struggling. Many just seem to conveniently ignore that. Their messes have cost plenty.

So many are forgetting the huge Taxpayer costs OWS has inflicted on these communities who were already struggling. Many just seem to conveniently ignore that. Their messes have cost plenty.

So you are saying they shouldn't be able to protest. Holding all these GOP debates and the GOP concvention are and will cost cities lots of money.

Nah, he's just drawing a parallel to how he ignores posts in this thread he doesn't like.

DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

hey, they are entitled to it, just ask them.....they’ll tell you so. To mangle the quote; 'the Fault lies in themselves, not in their stars', but we have bred them to believe otherwise.

Respect for anyone other than themselves and their gratification using any excuse imaginable ( and I am not sure how many of them have respect for themselves btw), they are more important than any or another, its their self esteem that’s on the line you see. Screw everyone else.

Are you forgetting the corporate looting in 2008 which has cost US taxpayers $trillions?

"What’s the issue that unites the occupiers and the city they’re occupying?

"Getting corporate money out of politics.

"On December 3, just two days before Occupy L.A. was evicted by police, the General Assembly of the occupation passed a unanimous resolution calling for a constitutional amendment to end corporate personhood.

"Today, the City Council of Los Angeles also voted, also unanimously, for a resolution making the same appeal."

Occupy LA and the LA City Council haven't.

LA and Occupy LA Agree: It's Time to End Corporate Personhood | Truthout

Are you forgetting the corporate looting in 2008 which has cost US taxpayers $trillions?

"What’s the issue that unites the occupiers and the city they’re occupying?

"Getting corporate money out of politics.

"On December 3, just two days before Occupy L.A. was evicted by police, the General Assembly of the occupation passed a unanimous resolution calling for a constitutional amendment to end corporate personhood.

"Today, the City Council of Los Angeles also voted, also unanimously, for a resolution making the same appeal."

Occupy LA and the LA City Council haven't.

LA and Occupy LA Agree: It's Time to End Corporate Personhood | Truthout

so where are the Gracchi? someone who can make a reasonable and cogent case?

answering greed with more greed ( and sloth and violence) doesn't change a thing.

Last edited:
I don't think you all have a clear idea of what happened at the occupy la site. It has nothing to do with police brutality.

That 30 tons of trash had been accumulating for a long long time.

You aren't getting rid of corporate personhood either.

Just too dumb to understand why the concept exists.

All Taxpayers & Citizens have rights. OWS rights are not anymore important or special than another Citizen's rights are. I think that's what these OWS protesters are just refusing to understand. They really do believe their rights are more important and special than others' rights. That's why that Boston Judge made a very wise ruling against OWS recently. She ruled that 'Occupying' is an aggressive act of seizing and possessing property. It's a form of protest that does violate the rights of others. Therefore it is legal & just to remove them. There are other forms of protest that don't violate the rights of others.

Forum List

Back