Occultism and spiritualism

I tend to stay away from things occult because I generally associate that with evil and/or other scary stuff. I've been a member of a religious cult and can truthfully say cults are very dangerous and almost cost me my life. I was raised Protestant and for awhile lived in a church sponsored orphanage which was no picnic. I saw hypocritcy in my family and in some churches - but that can by laid at the feet of those people ... not at religion in general.

Yet, I believe in God ... in good and in evil ... but not ALL people who practice their faith are insincere or holier than thou. Not everyone can be lumped into a "one-size-fits-all" rant against faith and or religion. Having a "code" by which to live, such as the Ten Commandments, keeps me in balance, makes the difference between right and wrong very easily understood.

But as to the OP, I saw an interesting but not very highly advertized movie not long ago and I should see it again because it's somewhat subtle in its approach to faith. Life of Pi is basically a story of one person's quest to find faith in many ways.

I tend to stay away from things occult because I generally associate that with evil and/or other scary stuff. I've been a member of a religious cult and can truthfully say cults are very dangerous and almost cost me my life. I was raised Protestant and for awhile lived in a church sponsored orphanage which was no picnic. I saw hypocritcy in my family and in some churches - but that can by laid at the feet of those people ... not at religion in general.

Yet, I believe in God ... in good and in evil ... but not ALL people who practice their faith are insincere or holier than thou. Not everyone can be lumped into a "one-size-fits-all" rant against faith and or religion. Having a "code" by which to live, such as the Ten Commandments, keeps me in balance, makes the difference between right and wrong very easily understood.

But as to the OP, I saw an interesting but not very highly advertized movie not long ago and I should see it again because it's somewhat subtle in its approach to faith. Life of Pi is basically a story of one person's quest to find faith in many ways.

You need not be afraid of the occult, that sort of image is due to people like Dennis
Wheatly making up stories about devil worshippers. Spiritualism teaches that there is no supreme devil. Nor is there a lasting hell. I daresay there are stupid people worshipping the devil, but they are wasting their breath.

I believe there is a God and he has a perfect plan, or system, to allow us to grow back toward unity with him. That includes allowing us to reincarnate thousands of times on many different planets. Until we acheive enlightenment, or a state of spiritual grace where we no longer need to incarnate. After which we continue to grow as immortal spirits in a higher realm of existence.

I have not seen the life of Pi yet.

You need not be afraid of the occult, that sort of image is due to people like Dennis
Wheatly making up stories about devil worshippers. Spiritualism teaches that there is no supreme devil. Nor is there a lasting hell. I daresay there are stupid people worshipping the devil, but they are wasting their breath.

I believe there is a God and he has a perfect plan, or system, to allow us to grow back toward unity with him. That includes allowing us to reincarnate thousands of times on many different planets. Until we acheive enlightenment, or a state of spiritual grace where we no longer need to incarnate. After which we continue to grow as immortal spirits in a higher realm of existence.

I have not seen the life of Pi yet.

You need not fear spiritualism and the occult IF there is no devil.

But looking at the world, I beg to differ. The devil is here and it seems to be party time!!

I've met people who have opened the door to the occult and received bad things into their lives. One woman in particular shared a dorm with some people who were into black magic. She would every now and then see things move in the room all by themselves. I've also heard countless testimonies of people who felt as though they had been possessed by demons and other various odd stories with those who dabble in the occult.

My thing is, if God is real and all powerful, why dabble with other sprits who are subject to him?

As for the existence of hell, nothing is more real to me because I see people go through hell here on earth. For me, the question is not, does hell and evil exist, the question is, why does hell and evil and suffering exist?

Last edited:
You need not fear spiritualism and the occult IF there is no devil.

But looking at the world, I beg to differ. The devil is here and it seems to be party time!!

I've met people who have opened the door to the occult and received bad things into their lives. One woman in particular shared a dorm with some people who were into black magic. She would every now and then see things move in the room all by themselves. I've also heard countless testimonies of people who felt as though they had been possessed by demons and other various odd stories with those who dabble in the occult.

My thing is, if God is real and all powerful, why dabble with other sprits who are subject to him?

As for the existence of hell, nothing is more real to me because I see people go through hell here on earth. For me, the question is not, does hell and evil exist, the question is, why does hell and evil and suffering exist?

I remember a trance lecture by Ursula Roberts in which she said the world is surrounded by a dark realm of thought forces, cause by all the wars and sufferings of mankind. It is necessary to rise above this darkness by raising your own vibrations with prayer before opening yourself to psychic forces.

I remember my early experiences in London, and I found I was psychically disturbed by energy's around me in the streets, but if I went into an old church I would feel the atmosphere change to one of a warm comforting feeling. This is because the walls of old churches are impregnated with all the positive psychic energy's of centuries of prayer and devotion. I remember going into a Franciscan monastery in Italy and feeling a lot of power around me. Because the monks had raised the energy levels with centuries of devotions.

There are ways of keeping yourself tuned to higher vibrations, and one is to practice walking mantras. I use to do an old Christian mantra which goes as follows.

Everything passes, everything changes, nothing remains, only God.

I walked around reciting this to myself in my mind, and it is a form of uplifting meditation that helps protect you from negative psychic energies.
Normally people are not aware of such forces because their aura protects them, but if they become open to psychic forces then they can do a number of things to protect themselves.

One is to imagine a shell of white light surrounding them, and concentrate on trying to create it with their mind. They can also imagine the are closing wings behind their back, all the way down from the head to the base of the spine. This has an effect of sealing their aura. There are a number of other techniques but it is difficult to explain them in texts, I was shown these things by Ursula Roberts in a healing class I attended.

But you are right, it is best not to dabble.

Last edited:
More free theosopy books.

Online Literature - Theosophical University Press

I started out by reading the teachings of silver birch, and some of them are online here.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/SilverBirch/Tcon.html

Here is a very spiritual book.LITTLE FLOWERS OF SAINT FRANCIS OF ASSISI

http://www.ewtn.com/library/mary/flowers.htm

Here is a link to thus_ spake_vivekananda

http://www.hinduism.fsnet.co.uk/namoma/sayings_swamiji/mThus_spake_vivekananda.htm

Here is a link to Sri Aurobindo

http://cpdm.iisc.ernet.in/~dibakar/main/Wisequotes/sriaurobindo.html

Sri Ramakrishna

http://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/gospel/gospel.htm

Last edited:
I've seen the face of evil.

The devil exists, depending on who you or what you wish to label devil.

Hitler is an excellent example. Everyone recognizes him to be demonic, even if they don't believe in the spiritual world. There is something about being slapped up side the head with a thing called reality.

Hitler is an excellent example. Everyone recognizes him to be demonic, even if they don't believe in the spiritual world. There is something about being slapped up side the head with a thing called reality.

I said that spiritualism teaches there is no "supreme" devil, but I do not say there are no evil beings. However evil could be another word for ignorant.

The theology I have studied teaches me that the soul of Hitler is to be pitied.

He has created a terrible burden of karma for himself and he will suffer greatly through many lives before he can account for all the damage he has done. Because every consequence of his actions must be resolved before his soul can be free.

I said that spiritualism teaches there is no "supreme" devil, but I do not say there are no evil beings. However evil could be another word for ignorant.

He has created a terrible burden of karma for himself and he will suffer greatly through many lives before he can account for all the damage he has done. Because every consequence of his actions must be resolved before his soul can be free.

Why then is a literal spiritual being known as Satan out of the question?

It seems to me the more powerful the agent of evil is, the more widespread it becomes.

Hitler was but one example. The more powerful he became the more widespread suffering became. The question becomes, was he merely a puppet himself? I say he was.

Keep in mind that anti-Semitism was wide spread centuries before Hitler came on the scene. Everything that was done to them in Nazi Germany was done in Europe throughout the centuries beforehand. The ghettos, the star of David, the mass executions, these were all done pre-Nazi Germany. The Holocaust was but the climax of such persecution. It all seems so well organized and scripted, but we are to believe their is no play write to the script?

To be clear, Hitler was but one of many pawns.

Why then is a literal spiritual being known as Satan out of the question?

It seems to me the more powerful the agent of evil is, the more widespread it becomes.

Hitler was but one example. The more powerful he became the more widespread suffering became. The question becomes, was he merely a puppet himself? I say he was.

Keep in mind that anti-Semitism was wide spread centuries before Hitler came on the scene. Everything that was done to them in Nazi Germany was done in Europe throughout the centuries beforehand. The ghettos, the star of David, the mass executions, these were all done pre-Nazi Germany. The Holocaust was but the climax of such persecution. It all seems so well organized and scripted, but we are to believe their is no play write to the script?

To be clear, Hitler was but one of many pawns.

The world is a meeting ground of souls that are spiritually evolved, and souls that are not. These souls struggle against each other and by doing so evolve. War may be terrible because it brings out the worst in people, but it also brings out the best.

The Bhagavad Gita has a story where Krishna despairs because of the horrors of a civil war
that pits brother against brother, but it is explained to him that it does not matter. Because it is simply a test of souls, and they go on to another life, then another after that, and they are wiser and stronger for the struggle. We are on a great journey of thousands of lives, and we reincarnate until we are purified and spiritually enlightened.

Both Hitler and Churchill believed they were fulfilling their destiny, and they were probably both right. But it was not a supreme devil that ochestrated it, but the angels of karma, that guide mankind into situations that will give them opportunities to express the best and worst in themselves. So it goes on, and on, until all mankind learns to do what is for the greater good, and not act out of self interest. Then the strong will protect those less powerful than themselves, and not prey on them.

Last edited:
I do not know if this thread will take off, as I may be the only one here that knows what I am talking about.:badgrin:

But here is a sample of my beliefs and experiences.

I always had spiritual feelings, even from early childhood, and in childhood, I used to open my heart to God by thinking of opening a door in it. I could always feel energy flowing into me when I did that and after a lifetime of occult experience I now realize what I was doing was consciously opening my heart chakra. There is a lot more to this story but I want to tell you that we are all spiritual beings incarnate in the flesh and we have many bodies that lay dormant and exist in higher dimensions. These higher bodies are linked to the physical body through what is called the etheric body, and that body contains the chakras, or energy centers.

There are usually considered to be 7 main chakras, but there are also many minor chakras. Maybe 21 or more. There are minor chakras in the souls of the feet, and the palms of the hands and the temples. I know this for a fact as I have used them to channel energy for many years.

That will do for openers. Anyone got any comments?

The thing I like about your OP is supports a separation I have believed in for a long time. There is a big difference between God and Religion. Franklly, I can do without the latter. Whose to say my opinions are any less than than those who wandered around in the desert 2,000 years ago? Well, we all know what over-exposure to the sun can do! :eusa_angel:

Oh, yes, I am a good Presbyterian, every Christmas and Easter, but the way I see it if you have the Golden Rule, you pretty much have the main points. I do not need a "pep rally" every Sunday to remember these things. So, I will take the Golden Rule, and John Steinbeck's words from the Grapes of Wrath.

"Before I knowed it, I was sayin' out loud, 'The hell with it! There ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There's just stuff people do. It's all part of the same thing.'... I says, 'What's this call, this sperit?' An' I says, 'It's love. I love people so much I'm fit to bust, sometimes.'... I figgered, 'Why do we got to hang it on God or Jesus? Maybe,' I figgered, 'maybe it's all men an' all women we love; maybe that's the Holy Sperit-the human sperit-the whole shebang. Maybe all men got one big soul ever'body's a part of.' Now I sat there thinkin' it, an' all of a suddent-I knew it. I knew it so deep down that it was true, and I still know it."
- John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath, Ch. 4

I am betting my afterlife on the Universal Whole Soul. Yep, I figured it out all by myself. Amazing what a human mind can do all by itself.

The-Grapes-of-Wrath.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a link to a page about Ivy Northage. She worked as a trance medium at the spiritualist association in London during the 1970's. I attended several of her talks and one stands out in my mind. At the end of the talk Ivy was sitting on a platform and she still had her eyes closed. I thought "God bless you" to her, and just as I did that Ivy, who could not see me because there was someone in the way, suddenly leaned over sideways and looked straight down at me, still with her eyes closed.

It is not much evidence, that she could read my mind, and see me with spirit eyes, but it made me jump, and it did seem that way to me.

Ivy Northage and Chan ~ plus ~ General Psychic Information - Humanity Healing Community

The OP

7+main+chakras.jpg

I do not know if this thread will take off, as I may be the only one here that knows what I am talking about.:badgrin:

But here is a sample of my beliefs and experiences.

I always had spiritual feelings, even from early childhood, and in childhood, I used to open my heart to God by thinking of opening a door in it. I could always feel energy flowing into me when I did that and after a lifetime of occult experience I now realize what I was doing was consciously opening my heart chakra. There is a lot more to this story but I want to tell you that we are all spiritual beings incarnate in the flesh and we have many bodies that lay dormant and exist in higher dimensions. These higher bodies are linked to the physical body through what is called the etheric body, and that body contains the chakras, or energy centers.

There are usually considered to be 7 main chakras, but there are also many minor chakras. Maybe 21 or more. There are minor chakras in the souls of the feet, and the palms of the hands and the temples. I know this for a fact as I have used them to channel energy for many years.

That will do for openers. Anyone got any comments?

Last edited:
Occultism and spiritualism

supernatural, mystical, or magical beliefs, practices, or phenomena.

a belief that spirits of the dead communicate with the living usually through a medium

Forum List

Back