Obviously We, The People Can NOT Be Trusted With Freedom...

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
Obviously We, The People can NOT be trusted with absolute freedom...

I can state that because I have read thread after thread on this board, and one generalized thesis seems to be the foundation of many of the serious discussion threads: some variation of either "Dude, you should not be able to do that!" or "Dude, what's it to ya? I should be able to do this!"

Examples of the first:

-Dude, you should NOT be able to sleep with another dude!

-Dude, you should NOT be here! Go home to Mexico!

-Dude, you should NOT be driving that gas-sucking, carbon spewing SUV!

-Dude, you should NOT be getting welfare without passing a drug test!

Examples of the second:

>Dude, what's it to ya? I'll smoke this doooooooobie if I want to!

>Dude, what's it to ya? I'll get an abortion if I feel it's necessary!

>Dude, what's it to ya? I'll sleep with and even marry whomever I want - and... we'll have SEX!

O.k. you get the idea. Obviously We, The People can NOT be trusted with absolute freedom...

First, let's assume for a moment that we are absolutely free.

* Hang on a sec while I spark this doobie, now that I have the freedom to do just that... *​

Now, let's assume we have a few billion neighbors... who are also free to do whatever they want.

Do we want that? Are there behaviors and actions enough of us deplore that we can and should restrict everyone?

I'm sure that there are... :eusa_think:

What behavior or actions should there be laws prohibiting?

What behavior or actions should there be laws protecting?

I'll start... I have a prohibition proposal... feel free to comment if you disagree.

We aught to have a law prohibiting citizens from having sex with animals and children.

I can think of more, but I want to see what y'all think...

-Joe

Obviously We, The People can NOT be trusted with absolute freedom...

I can state that because I have read thread after thread on this board, and one generalized thesis seems to be the foundation of many of the serious discussion threads: some variation of either "Dude, you should not be able to do that!" or "Dude, what's it to ya? I should be able to do this!"

Examples of the first:

-Dude, you should NOT be able to sleep with another dude!

-Dude, you should NOT be here! Go home to Mexico!

-Dude, you should NOT be driving that gas-sucking, carbon spewing SUV!

-Dude, you should NOT be getting welfare without passing a drug test!

Examples of the second:

>Dude, what's it to ya? I'll smoke this doooooooobie if I want to!

>Dude, what's it to ya? I'll get an abortion if I feel it's necessary!

>Dude, what's it to ya? I'll sleep with and even marry whomever I want - and... we'll have SEX!

O.k. you get the idea. Obviously We, The People can NOT be trusted with absolute freedom...

First, let's assume for a moment that we are absolutely free.

* Hang on a sec while I spark this doobie, now that I have the freedom to do just that... *​

Now, let's assume we have a few billion neighbors... who are also free to do whatever they want.

Do we want that? Are there behaviors and actions enough of us deplore that we can and should restrict everyone?

I'm sure that there are... :eusa_think:

What behavior or actions should there be laws prohibiting?

What behavior or actions should there be laws protecting?

I'll start... I have a prohibition proposal... feel free to comment if you disagree.

We aught to have a law prohibiting citizens from having sex with animals and children.

-Joe

I think we do have such laws already!

That's not the point of the thread Willow. My thesis is 'what if'. What if we were suddenly free. REALLY free. Free to do what ever we wanted. Free to start over.

Have you any suggestions or proposals to make our imaginary utopia a better place to live?

-Joe

Last edited:

That's not the point of the thread Willow. My thesis is 'what if'. What if we were suddenly free. REALLY free. Free to do what ever we wanted. Free to start over.

Have you any suggestions or proposals to make our imaginary utopia a better place to live?

-Joe

To many for this board. I would look up US codes and adopt a hell of a lot of them.

-Joe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what the Libertarians want? No government involvement, no taxes, no laws so to speak? I see their points somewhat, who wants to live in a nanny state. But........we need laws, we need taxes of some sort, we need infrastructure and schools....

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose, isn't that what Janis sang?

I feel I'm free, free to type what I want, go where I want, do what I want, worship what I want, sing what I want, love who I want.

Yeah, without those laws.......scary.

-Joe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what the Libertarians want? No government involvement, no taxes, no laws so to speak? I see their points somewhat, who wants to live in a nanny state. But........we need laws, we need taxes of some sort, we need infrastructure and schools....

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose, isn't that what Janis sang?

I feel I'm free, free to type what I want, go where I want, do what I want, worship what I want, sing what I want, love who I want.

Yeah, without those laws.......scary.

Libertarians claim instead of criminal laws they would just have a judge to sit in on lawsuits. Get raped? No problem sue the rapist. Get murdered? No problem , your family can sue the murderer.

They do not believe that any Government above the county level should have any laws what so ever concerning crimes or people. Of course now, who would build the interstates? Who would regulate the commerce? Who would protect the Country?

Almost as stupid as anarchists claiming that a peoples army and peoples courts are not a form of control and thus not Anarchy at all.

More tough news on the late night TV
news lady tells me that it's cold outside
man gets his car jacked
grave yard gets ransacked
everybody knows there ain't no place to hide

latenight drive by there's blood on the sidewalk
the rain's gonna wash out that stain someday
stupid kid shoulda known this ain't no cake walk
you can't just wear your bandanna that way

hey ain't that freedom for you
freedom American style

Hot car rolling down an empty highway
the keys were in it, man it serves the owner right
young girl attacked in the woods off the parkway
she shoulda known not tojog alone at night

drugs rule downtown, gangs rule midtown
you're own your own when they both collide
I keep my doors locked with bars on my windows
got an alarm in my car, I keep my kids inside

freedom American style

More tough news on the late night TV
news lady tells me that it's cold outside
man gets his car jacked
grave yard gets ransacked
everybody knows there ain't no place to hide

I keep my arms around whatever I got
hey it's allright world but you know I watch myself
I'm virtually free to do whatever I want
but I try to remeber, so is everybody else

freedom American style

-Todd Snider

-Joe

To many for this board. I would look up US codes and adopt a hell of a lot of them.

Throw out one or two of your favorites RGS - Let us know what you're thinking!

-Joe

-Joe

-Joe

One or two? Are you nuts? We have over 300 million people in this Country.

-Joe

One or two? Are you nuts? We have over 300 million people in this Country.

So what is one behavior that you believe nobody should be able to do?

Perhaps you'd rather point out a behavor you think everyone should have the protected right to do, no matter what, even if 75% of their neighbors don't share their passion. What would that be?

-Joe

nothing wrong with screwing animals ... if they like it ;)

instead we should have a law that says if you're responsible for pointless deaths of thousands of Americans plus a million Iraqis you don't get to build your motherfucking library !

oh yeah i got another law. any moron that tries to take away my right to screw furry animals gets his dick cut off !

Last edited:

Forum List

Back