Obligation to "society"

So then I have no obligation past the legal one.

Thats the way it works

If you want to just pay taxes and not lift a finger to make your community a better place to live, you are free to do so

So its better to use the government to force people to pay for things that probably do not benefit them one bit? Why not ASK people to donate to a cause you believe in instead of using the IRS's gun at thier head to force contributions?

Forced generosity is not generosity at all.

You belong to a society and have been given the vote. As a member of society, you get to elect representatives who decide on the needs of society and how they should be paid for. You may agree with those decisions or you may disagree. But you still benefit as a member of society

Yes it is

And when you are besieged by looters and thugs you call on society to protect you

And society will be there in 10-12 minutes usually. I prefer to rely on myself, and hopefully an adequate firearm.

Oh yea.....the Dodge City analogy

I can protect myself from any threat. I don't need police, I don't need a military....I gots my shotgun handy

You were the one who brought up looters and thugs, and now that you backed yourself into a corner, you are flailing to get out of it. And why bring the military into it? Looters and thugs are not a foreign threat, so posse comitius applies.

Police are around as a preventative threat to crime, as well as a punishment mechanism after the fact, thier role in actively stopping crime is a much smaller (and mostly based on luck) function of their job.

Thats the way it works

If you want to just pay taxes and not lift a finger to make your community a better place to live, you are free to do so

So its better to use the government to force people to pay for things that probably do not benefit them one bit? Why not ASK people to donate to a cause you believe in instead of using the IRS's gun at thier head to force contributions?

You belong to a society and have been given the vote. As a member of society, you get to elect representatives who decide on the needs of society and how they should be paid for. You may agree with those decisions or you may disagree. But you still benefit as a member of society

And what happens when 51% of society finds out they can vote for the other 49% to pay for thier stuff?

Thats why we have a consitution, to at least attempt that.

Why are progressives so fond of mob rule?

So now you have to prove that every mass shooting was committed by the so called "right" or your argument isn't worth a pile of shit.

Easy enough.

The NRA is pretty right wing. It keeps guns in the hands of psychos. The psychos shoot kids in the face.

You're welcome.

FAIL.

The NRA did not commit any shootings.

Not a fail.

The United States government used that very argument as one of the reasons to invade countries.

They use the argument that the government of those countries are providing funding for terrorists to commit terror.

And what happens when 51% of society finds out they can vote for the other 49% to pay for thier stuff?

How do you pay for your stuff?

Easy enough.

The NRA is pretty right wing. It keeps guns in the hands of psychos. The psychos shoot kids in the face.

You're welcome.

FAIL.

The NRA did not commit any shootings.

Not a fail.

The United States government used that very argument as one of the reasons to invade countries.

They use the argument that the government of those countries are providing funding for terrorists to commit terror.

So now you're in favor of undeclared wars and willy nilly invasions?

And I suppose you can prove that the NRA is funding people who commit mass shootings?

How do you pay for your stuff?

I don't find that question germane to the conversation, but I work for a living, and pay a sizeable amount in taxes, local state and federal.

Charity begins at home.

And your morality is not to be forced on others.

Yes charity does begin at home and is supplemented by the charity of our society

I'm afraid morality is forced on you. Whether you agree or not, your tax dollars will be used to help the homeless, the handicapped, the aged.....it is what societies do
No, that's what looters and thugs do.

Then why would you stay in a country with hundereds of years of tradition of helping the less fortunate?

Move to some place that has no taxes.

sIts what an adult would do.

You dont like this country so leave

Yes charity does begin at home and is supplemented by the charity of our society

I'm afraid morality is forced on you. Whether you agree or not, your tax dollars will be used to help the homeless, the handicapped, the aged.....it is what societies do

Then why would you stay in a country with hundereds of years of tradition of helping the less fortunate?

The tradition of helping was not via the force of the federal and state governments.

I am not going anywhere. How about you try to stop stealing from me?

how long have we been collecting taxes and fixing things and helping people with the money?

The tradition of helping was not via the force of the federal and state governments.

The laws of this country are not theft.

You calling them that doesnt make it true.

It just makes you a lair

The laws of this country are not theft.

You calling them that doesnt make it true.

It just makes you a lair

Some of them sure as hell are.

Taxation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under Article VIII of the Articles of Confederation, the United States federal government did not have the power to tax. All such power lay with the states. The United States Constitution, adopted in 1787, authorized the federal government to lay and collect taxes, but required that some types of tax revenues be given to the states in proportion to population. Tariffs were the principal federal tax through the 1800s.

you calling taxes theft is spitting in the face of the founders.

stop lapping the pablum off the feet of the likes of Lush Limpballs

Thats the way it works

"Society" has no claim upon me whatsoever, no matter how you try to rationalize your despotic attitudes.

It is hard to differentiate who the 51% is and who the 49% is when everyone in society receives free stuff.

The worst offenders are those in the upper 1% who can afford to buy lobbyists and Congressmen who ensure that legislation will continue to keep the money flowing in

Forum List

Back