Obama's latest gaffe

Discussion in 'Congress' started by jreeves, May 27, 2008.

1. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    "I had a uncle who was one of the, who was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps," Obama said, slowly and methodically. "And the story in my family is that when he came home, he just went into the attic, and he didn't leave the house for six months. Alright? Now, obviously something had affected him deeply, but at the time, there just weren't the kinds of facilities to help somebody work through that kind of pain."

That may be a fact, the RNC noted gleefully -- but only if Obama's uncle served in the Red Army of Joseph Stalin, which liberated Auschwitz Jan. 27, 1945.

The Obama campaign says the mistake was not as horrific as it might seem. His uncle was there at the liberation of Buchenwald. Obama just confused the names of the concentration camps.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/27/obamas_uncle_and_the_liberatio.html

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV1sxq8mqvA[/ame]

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,733
    Funny.

But wait, Obama never misspeaks.

3. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Also Obama's mother was an only child...hard to have an uncle. Of course now, they stated it was his great uncle.:eusa_liar:

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    My first tendency was to say, well these guys are tired. However, it seems this is nothing new, sort of like Hillary and the snipers. There're links to his speech and more:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/archives/2008/05/its_nothing_new.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,733
    This part of the article made me laugh.
    I wonder how poor Bobby Kennedy is feeling after being kicked around by the Obama campaign all weekend? :eusa_whistle:

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Not sure I would make a big deal of this, if in fact he does have a relative that DID participate then it is much to do about nothing. Further for all we know he was just TOLD the story and never actually met the relative.

This one won't go anywhere cause it is petty.

8. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Agreed. Great-uncle instead of uncle. Confusing two concentration camps. How can anyone think this is even remotely interesting?

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not too mention 57 states; all those 'fallen heroes' in an unbroken line, some of whom were in the audience. (He and his campaign don't understand the difference between dead/wounded, Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.); equating cynicism with 'terrorists', 'Hamas' and 'Hezbollah', as IF Hamas and Hezbollah are different than terrorists? As IF cynicism, an attitude, is as dangerous as terrorists?

There's plenty more, but the media has sort of been ignoring them, though they are adding up, quickly.

10. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Some of that boils down to a question of ideology and world outlook (danger of cynism to the beliefs/attitudes/course of a country) and are a proper basis to not vote for a candidate, but...

are you really suggesting that misspeaking on the campaign trail (and these are silly misstatements, nothing major) means that one can't be a good president?

My goodness! He said 57 states instead of 57 primary contests! Wow! The Harvard law grad obviously must not know there are 50 states in the union!

In light of McCain's and Clinton's mistatements, I guess I just shouldn't vote at all.