Obama's going to try Guantanamo detainees in US criminal courts

Exactly.

Oh crud, I mistakenly pos-repped Black before I read the last line of his last post.

I hate it when that happens.

You can have it back if you like.

Ever heard of the Rand Corporation .. you know, the one that advises the US military?

U.S. Should Rethink "War On Terrorism" Strategy to Deal with Resurgent Al Qaida

“Terrorists should be perceived and described as criminals, not holy warriors, and our analysis suggests that there is no battlefield solution to terrorism.”

"In looking at how other terrorist groups have ended, the RAND study found that most terrorist groups end either because they join the political process, or because local police and intelligence efforts arrest or kill key members. Police and intelligence agencies, rather than the military, should be the tip of the spear against al Qaida in most of the world, and the United States should abandon the use of the phrase "war on terrorism," researchers concluded. "

"The United States cannot conduct an effective long-term counterterrorism campaign against al Qaida or other terrorist groups without understanding how terrorist groups end," said Seth Jones, the study's lead author and a political scientist at RAND, a nonprofit research organization. "In most cases, military force isn't the best instrument."

The comprehensive study analyzes 648 terrorist groups that existed between 1968 and 2006, drawing from a terrorism database maintained by RAND and the Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism. The most common way that terrorist groups end -- 43 percent -- was via a transition to the political process. However, the possibility of a political solution is more likely if the group has narrow goals, rather than a broad, sweeping agenda like al Qaida possesses.

The second most common way that terrorist groups end -- 40 percent -- was through police and intelligence services either apprehending or killing the key leaders of these groups. Policing is especially effective in dealing with terrorists because police have a permanent presence in cities that enables them to efficiently gather information, Jones said.

Military force was effective in only 7 percent of the cases examined; in most instances, military force is too blunt an instrument to be successful against terrorist groups, although it can be useful for quelling insurgencies in which the terrorist groups are large, well-armed and well-organized, according to researchers. In a number of cases, the groups end because they become splintered, with members joining other groups or forming new factions. Terrorist groups achieved victory in only 10 percent of the cases studied.

The United States also should avoid the use of the term, "war on terror," and replace it with the term "counterterrorism." Nearly every U.S. ally, including the United Kingdom and Australia, has stopped using "war on terror," and Jones said it's more than a mere matter of semantics.

The study, "How Terrorist Groups End: Lessons for Countering al Qaida," can be found at RAND Corporation Provides Objective Research Services and Public Policy Analysis.

The report was prepared by the RAND National Defense Research Institute, a federally funded research and development center that does research for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Joint Staff, the unified commands and other defense agencies.

I applaud Obama's efforts to close Guantanamo .. if that is what this is .. however, in this political climate it doesn't take a lot of courage to close Guantanamo .. makes for a good show .. but is Obama going to close the School of the America's, our own terrorist training camp?

Close that and I'll be impressed.

Step up to the truth that the war on terrorism is a hoax and I'll really be impressed.
Great post BlackAsCoal!!!!

Not if they aren't US citizens, or at the very least, apprehended on US soil.

I think it's problematic, will create a HUGE headache for the already overburdened US judicial system, and will cause more problems than it will solve. There are prisoners of war. Not US citizens who broke the law of the land.

Prisoners of War? Really? When did we actually declare war? What country did we declare war on? Can you send me a copy of the declaration of war by Congress?

The last time the US declared war was on Bulgaria, Hungary and Romnia June 5, 1942.

The Bush administration defines them as "enemy combatants."

Detention, Treatment, and Trial of Certain Non-Citizens in the War Against Terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Didn't bin laden declare war on the United States in 1995? It's too bad Johnnie Cochran is dead, or he could free them all.

Prisoners of War? Really? When did we actually declare war? What country did we declare war on? Can you send me a copy of the declaration of war by Congress?

The last time the US declared war was on Bulgaria, Hungary and Romnia June 5, 1942.

The Bush administration defines them as "enemy combatants."

Detention, Treatment, and Trial of Certain Non-Citizens in the War Against Terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Different times, different terms, same meaning.

if they are just prisoners of war and they haven't committed any crime other than being a warrior for 'the other side', they get to just go home, when the war is declared over, right?

what happened to trying these true criminals by military tribunals, was that deemed unjust or something?

i guess i gotta read the article............. :)

but the war isn't over. Close Gitmo. Where do you put them?

Agreed--just release every last one of them. Bush should just pardon them all and they can go back to whever they came from. Can you imagine the effort it will take to make everyone beleive that they recieved "fair" treatment. ? Screw that---I don't wanna hear all the rationalizations, spend any money or put any of out intelligence people at risk. Just let em all go, George.

Aren't you a conservative, dilloduck? I was under the impression that conservatives wanted these people locked up, executed, etc. etc. Is this a sarcastic statement or do you genuinely believe we should let these enemy combatants go? If you do, is that how many conservatives feel? Or am I wrong in assuming you're a conservative?

Aren't you a conservative, dilloduck? I was under the impression that conservatives wanted these people locked up, executed, etc. etc. Is this a sarcastic statement or do you genuinely believe we should let these enemy combatants go? If you do, is that how many conservatives feel? Or am I wrong in assuming you're a conservative?

I'm just being practical and I'm dead serious about letting them go. Inventing and implementing a new justice system specifically for these detainees is an expensive exercise in futility. We already have too many frickin lawyers and judges anyway.
( oh---and you impression of conservatives regarding executing or imprisoning everyone is way over blown too )

but the war isn't over. Close Gitmo. Where do you put them?

so you agree these people should be held indefinitely without trial, without counsel and without recourse? wow... you're America is vastly different than mine :eusa_whistle:

I'm just being practical and I'm dead serious about letting them go. Inventing and implementing a new justice system specifically for these detainees is an expensive exercise in futility. We already have too many frickin lawyers and judges anyway.
( oh---and you impression of conservatives regarding executing or imprisoning everyone is way over blown too )

Well, its the impression I've gotten from hearing people say things like:

"Kill those sand ni--ers!"

"Everyone one of'em deserves to die!"

"We should just kill all of'em and nuke the whole middle east!"

And, yes, these are among the things I've really, actually heard people I would describe as conservatives (and go beyond to say "rednecks") saying. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Haven't you heard the same kind of thing?

But, I admit, you're probably right and these were the opinions of ignorant people from the fringe of conservatism who weren't representative of most comservatives. I amend my opinion.

so you agree these people should be held indefinitely without trial, without counsel and without recourse? wow... you're America is vastly different than mine :eusa_whistle:

I was asking what to do with them? Let them go, as illegally held political prisoners? What state are you in? City? Good release point, as you are so compassionate, unlike myself.

I was asking what to do with them? Let them go, as illegally held political prisoners? What state are you in? City? Good release point, as you are so compassionate, unlike myself.

sorry, I read it wrong. I thought you were saying keep them cuz what else can we do with them.

I'm in FL... home of the idiot state that handed Bush his first win :lol:

sorry, I read it wrong. I thought you were saying keep them cuz what else can we do with them.

I'm in FL... home of the idiot state that handed Bush his first win :lol:

Excellent. Those they aren't charging should be released in Orlando. They will feel at home there, as did so many of 9/11 freedom fighters.

Well, its the impression I've gotten from hearing people say things like:

"Kill those sand ni--ers!"

"Everyone one of'em deserves to die!"

"We should just kill all of'em and nuke the whole middle east!"

And, yes, these are among the things I've really, actually heard people I would describe as conservatives (and go beyond to say "rednecks") saying. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Haven't you heard the same kind of thing?

But, I admit, you're probably right and these were the opinions of ignorant people from the fringe of conservatism who weren't representative of most comservatives. I amend my opinion.

no biggie---both sides love to define the other side by using the most extreme as an example of the norm.

Excellent. Those they aren't charging should be released in Orlando. They will feel at home there, as did so many of 9/11 freedom fighters.

:lol: Personally I have no problem with that...cuz if they can't be charged then clearly they haven't done anything wrong. I'm not the type of person who believes that everyone is a criminal.

Some of them have been held for almost 5 years, if they could be charged, why haven't they been?

Reclassify them as POWs and proceed from there. Otherwise, sort them out and send them through the Immigration system ... but then we might be seeing them again (too) soon.

Forum List

Back