obama's christmas tree tax

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
you really can't make shit this stupid up. fee free to defend it; i could use a laugh

"President Obama’s Agriculture Department today announced that it will impose a new 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees—the Christmas Tree Tax—to support a new Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.

In the Federal Register of November 8, 2011, Acting Administrator of Agricultural Marketing David R. Shipman announced that the Secretary of Agriculture will appoint a Christmas Tree Promotion Board. The purpose of the Board is to run a “program of promotion, research, evaluation, and information designed to strengthen the Christmas tree industry’s position in the marketplace; maintain and expend existing markets for Christmas trees; and to carry out programs, plans, and projects designed to provide maximum benefits to the Christmas tree industry” (7 CFR 1214.46(n)). And the program of “information” is to include efforts to “enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States” (7 CFR 1214.10)."

because you know, without the government, no one would buy a christmas tree. :rofl:

Obama Couldn't Wait: His New Christmas Tree Tax

wtf?

This has got to be an article from the onion or something.

Why on earth would we need to strengthen the position in the market for the Christmas tree? Isn't that the job of those who sell Christmas trees?

Not only that, but doesn't this create huge First Amendment issues? The Federal Government trying to promote CHRISTMAS TREES? And they are going to TAX CHRISTMAS TREES? I could make an argument against this with both the Establishment clause and the Free exercise clause with current case law.

Seriously, this has to be a joke because I can't fathom that the Administration would be this blatantly stupid.

• Banned

Why on earth would we need to strengthen the position in the market for the Christmas tree? Isn't that the job of those who sell Christmas trees?

Not only that, but doesn't this create huge First Amendment issues? The Federal Government trying to promote CHRISTMAS TREES? And they are going to TAX CHRISTMAS TREES? I could make an argument against this with both the Establishment clause and the Free exercise clause with current case law.

Seriously, this has to be a joke because I can't fathom that the Administration would be this blatantly stupid.

really?

think about it. this is the same admin that apparently thought selling guns to mexican criminals in arizona was a great idea.

do you want to rethink your statement?

You gotta be on your toes when the liberal media cooperates with the administration. A tax becomes a promotion and a new federal board of Christmas trees seems like a good idea. The world is upside down under liberalism.

really?

think about it. this is the same admin that apparently thought selling guns to mexican criminals in arizona was a great idea.

do you want to rethink your statement?

good point. I concede.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
The entry in the federal register is actually about establishing procedures to conduct a referendum on whether to continue the Order. I can't even tell if the Order was established under Obama, and the entry claims that any continuation would only be if the Christmas tree industry asked for it (the industry seems to be allowed to vote on it). I suspect, as Si Modo suggested, that discontinuing this order would have led to Obama being attacked for warring against Christmas. I also suspect this wasn't even close to a presidential-level decision.

I do think the program is silly, though. Why are we strengthening the position of the Christmas tree in the market? What are the competing goods in the market, Christmas bushes? And I object on first amendment grounds. The government should at least call it a "holiday tree" program or something.

you really can't make shit this stupid up. fee free to defend it; i could use a laugh

"President Obama’s Agriculture Department today announced that it will impose a new 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees—the Christmas Tree Tax—to support a new Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.

In the Federal Register of November 8, 2011, Acting Administrator of Agricultural Marketing David R. Shipman announced that the Secretary of Agriculture will appoint a Christmas Tree Promotion Board. The purpose of the Board is to run a “program of promotion, research, evaluation, and information designed to strengthen the Christmas tree industry’s position in the marketplace; maintain and expend existing markets for Christmas trees; and to carry out programs, plans, and projects designed to provide maximum benefits to the Christmas tree industry” (7 CFR 1214.46(n)). And the program of “information” is to include efforts to “enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States” (7 CFR 1214.10)."

because you know, without the government, no one would buy a christmas tree. :rofl:

Obama Couldn't Wait: His New Christmas Tree Tax

wtf?

shocked-1.gif
shocked-1.gif
shocked-1.gif
shocked-1.gif
shocked-1.gif

They want to make sure that Christmas tree growers of America has a union representative.

This government is completely out of control :eusa_wall:

Does this only apply to real trees? What if I buy a fake but "fresh" tree?
This could be part of the whole "green initiative".
It's like a flat christmas tree tax, which obviously affects the poor more than it affects the rich.

How do you think the gummit is going to make up for all those spending cuts?

Never hear of beef or pork checkoffs?
Same thing different product.
And they have been here longer than Obama.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back