obama's christmas tree tax

Rounded down to 75%, that is about 230,000,000 people. For the sake of argument, that's about $34.5 million in taxes, if all these people put up a real tree. We know that they won't. Some people don't want to fool with the mess, and some renters are not allowed. I allowed for the rough population of Jehovah's Witnesses, who do not celebrate Christmas.

Don't know what the population of real vs. artificial trees is. It would be interesting to know.

Rounded down to 75%, that is about 230,000,000 people. For the sake of argument, that's about $34.5 million in taxes, if all these people put up a real tree. We know that they won't. Some people don't want to fool with the mess, and some renters are not allowed. I allowed for the rough population of Jehovah's Witnesses, who do not celebrate Christmas.

Don't know what the population of real vs. artificial trees is. It would be interesting to know.

They estimated 17 million trees from major tree farms. About 2.5 million in Fees/Taxes. In the Nov 8, 2010 proposal. Artifical trees are not covered as an agg crop. wouldn't be subject to the fee(tax).

Faux outrage.

they're going to be used to expand the market.

get your 4th of july tree before they're gone. :eek:

Is the tax per foot, or for a whole tree?
Does it count if I decorate the trees in my yard? They are fresh Christmas trees after all.
And...If cut trees are recycled, do we get a tax refund?

you really can't make shit this stupid up. fee free to defend it; i could use a laugh

"President Obama’s Agriculture Department today announced that it will impose a new 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees—the Christmas Tree Tax—to support a new Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.

In the Federal Register of November 8, 2011, Acting Administrator of Agricultural Marketing David R. Shipman announced that the Secretary of Agriculture will appoint a Christmas Tree Promotion Board. The purpose of the Board is to run a “program of promotion, research, evaluation, and information designed to strengthen the Christmas tree industry’s position in the marketplace; maintain and expend existing markets for Christmas trees; and to carry out programs, plans, and projects designed to provide maximum benefits to the Christmas tree industry” (7 CFR 1214.46(n)). And the program of “information” is to include efforts to “enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States” (7 CFR 1214.10)."

because you know, without the government, no one would buy a christmas tree. :rofl:

Obama Couldn't Wait: His New Christmas Tree Tax

wtf?

This has got to be a fucking joke. Not even Obama could possibly be this stupid. Does he really think the Christmas Tree industry needs help?

The entry in the federal register is actually about establishing procedures to conduct a referendum on whether to continue the Order. I can't even tell if the Order was established under Obama, and the entry claims that any continuation would only be if the Christmas tree industry asked for it (the industry seems to be allowed to vote on it). I suspect, as Si Modo suggested, that discontinuing this order would have led to Obama being attacked for warring against Christmas. I also suspect this wasn't even close to a presidential-level decision.

I do think the program is silly, though. Why are we strengthening the position of the Christmas tree in the market? What are the competing goods in the market, Christmas bushes? And I object on first amendment grounds. The government should at least call it a "holiday tree" program or something.

Can you link to whatever it is you read? This clearly contradicts what you are claiming.

SUMMARY: This rule establishes an industry-funded promotion, research, and information program for fresh cut Christmas trees. The Christmas Tree Promotion, Research, and Information Order (Order) is authorized under the Commodity Promotion, Research, and Information Act of 1996 (1996 Act). The Order will establish a national Christmas Tree Promotion Board (Board) comprised of 11 producers and one importer. Under the Order, producers and importers of fresh cut Christmas trees will pay an initial assessment of fifteen cents per Christmas tree. Producers and importers that produce or import less than 500 Christmas trees annually will be exempt from the assessment. A referendum will be conducted, among producers and importers, three years after the collection of assessments begin to determine if Christmas tree producers and importers favor the continuation of this program. DATES: Effective November 9, 2011.

Not a continuation of anything. Apparently they are worried that not enough people are buying fresh Christmas Trees because they are buying more artificial ones.

A national research and promotion program for Christmas trees would help the industry to address the many market problems it currently faces. According to the Task Force, two main factors currently affecting Christmas tree sales, both in the domestic market and abroad, are increased competition and changing consumer habits. According to additional data supplied by the Task Force, the market share of fresh Christmas trees in the U.S. from 1965 to 2008 has declined by 6 percent. In comparison, the market share of artificial trees has increased 655 percent from 1965 to 2008. According to the proponent data, sales of fresh cut Christmas trees decreased by 15 million trees from 37 million trees sold in 1991 down to 22 million trees sold in 2002. The industry saw an increase in sales in 2003 through 2007 when the industry conducted a voluntary marketing campaign which was lead by a small group of producers and retailers. This voluntary marketing campaign saw sales rebound by 9 million trees--from 22 million trees sold in 2002 to 31 million trees sold in 2007. Even with the strong sales response to the marketing efforts, the voluntary marketing program suffered from a lack of funding. The Christmas tree industry has tried three different times to conduct promotional programs based on voluntary contributions. Each time, after about three years, the revenue declined to a point where the programs were ineffective. The decline in revenue is attributable to the voluntary nature of these programs. Therefore, the proponents have determined that they need a mechanism that would be sustainable over time. They believe that a national Christmas tree research and promotion program would accomplish this goal.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-11-08/html/2011-28798.htm

It also appears that the only thing people get to vote on is the membership of the 11 member board that this order set up.

you really can't make shit this stupid up. fee free to defend it; i could use a laugh

"President Obama’s Agriculture Department today announced that it will impose a new 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees—the Christmas Tree Tax—to support a new Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.

In the Federal Register of November 8, 2011, Acting Administrator of Agricultural Marketing David R. Shipman announced that the Secretary of Agriculture will appoint a Christmas Tree Promotion Board. The purpose of the Board is to run a “program of promotion, research, evaluation, and information designed to strengthen the Christmas tree industry’s position in the marketplace; maintain and expend existing markets for Christmas trees; and to carry out programs, plans, and projects designed to provide maximum benefits to the Christmas tree industry” (7 CFR 1214.46(n)). And the program of “information” is to include efforts to “enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States” (7 CFR 1214.10)."

because you know, without the government, no one would buy a christmas tree. :rofl:

Obama Couldn't Wait: His New Christmas Tree Tax

wtf?

Scrooge.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Obama Scrooge.. BAHHHH HUMBUGGGG- The asshole who stole Christmas. The libs called Newt the Grinch.. let's see how consistent they are with their messiah taxing Christmas.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Forum List

Back