Obama warns Arizona civil rights violations will be investigated by Justice Dept.

Actually, any suspicious behavior is justifiable by an officer. It could be any number of things. Hell, he can claim the person resembles a person of interest in an active criminal investigation.

The real clue is the guy that takes off running. LOL

Is it profiling if the store clerk checks an ID on a 22 year old because that person looks 17?

Police aren't store clerks. If the police follow through on this it is lawsuit city. The courts have already ruled on most issues raised by this so-called new law.

It's a hodgepodge of previously rejected attempts.

Police aren't store clerks....

You're two for two!!! And still the concept remains the same....

Who do you think will file lawsuits? And what do you mean by "The courts have already ruled on most issues raised by this so-called new law."?

You keep comparing the duties of police officers to store clerks and bank tellers. You keep ignoring one is a voluntary transaction in commerce and the other is the authority of the government.

So much for the (imagined) conservative principle of supporting smaller government and government out of people's personal lives.

I would hope these "Juan Crow" laws would be put to a end. Anyone who cherishes freedom and liberty should be against such laws that are not only racial profiling but a offense to any true civil libertarian.

bullshit

Police aren't store clerks. If the police follow through on this it is lawsuit city. The courts have already ruled on most issues raised by this so-called new law.

It's a hodgepodge of previously rejected attempts.

Police aren't store clerks....

You're two for two!!! And still the concept remains the same....

Who do you think will file lawsuits? And what do you mean by "The courts have already ruled on most issues raised by this so-called new law."?

You keep comparing the duties of police officers to store clerks and bank tellers. You keep ignoring one is a voluntary transaction in commerce and the other is the authority of the government.

So much for the (imagined) conservative principle of supporting smaller government and government out of people's personal lives.

And you keep dodging the issue that profiling is profiling...no matter who does it. There are all kinds of reasons to check an ID and the police have as much responsibility to society as others. I hear what you're saying about government interference, but I also see the importance of protecting the interests of the legitimate citizens of AZ or elsewhere. Wouldn't it be a good thing if this law led to the arrest of a serial killer or child molester?

No they don't...

Arizona is about to find out

You may want to REREAD the Constitution, A State is FREE to pass any law that is in keeping with the Federal Governments laws. The Federal Government may not enforce the law but it exists. It is ILLEGAL to be in this Country with out proper paper work. A State is FREE under the Constitution to create laws that support Federal Law. Unless Congress changes said law the Arizona law is LEGAL and enforceable.

Fraid not .........the Federal Government has authority under the Supremacy clause. Arizona cannot pass laws that supercede Federal law.

Indescriminate stopping for papers violates the 4th and 14th Amendments

You just don't know when to quit, do you. All 50 states do have the the right, as a matter of fact they are obliged; to establish, or if you will, verify citizenship of any given individual upon request. It is the law. Stop talking through your ass! :lol:

No...banks aren't government..you get a cookie!! But the reasons are the same...they are required to confirm that you are who you say you are. Are you saying that they have the right to ask that but the police don't?

I have a life...and you're a better person for having been part of it. LOL

So what's the problem? If they have limits, then isn't that a clue that they aren't going to go nuts and pull over every "suspicious" person they see?

The reasons are only the same in the sense of a question asked. The Supreme Court has already ruled on the states and ID laws.

I don't think the law is about pulling people over, and I have no idea where you got that impression. Reading or listing to right wing douchebaghery again?

Why wouldn't it include pulling over suspicious drivers? Come one D...there's no "douchebaggery" here. It's one of many ways the police dept conducts it's daily responsibilities.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. Right now...I am on the fence. I like seeing something done about illegal immigration, if this is the ONLY thing it is used for.

No...banks aren't government..you get a cookie!! But the reasons are the same...they are required to confirm that you are who you say you are. Are you saying that they have the right to ask that but the police don't?

I have a life...and you're a better person for having been part of it. LOL

So what's the problem? If they have limits, then isn't that a clue that they aren't going to go nuts and pull over every "suspicious" person they see?

The reasons are only the same in the sense of a question asked. The Supreme Court has already ruled on the states and ID laws.

I don't think the law is about pulling people over, and I have no idea where you got that impression. Reading or listing to right wing douchebaghery again?

Why wouldn't it include pulling over suspicious drivers? Come one D...there's no "douchebaggery" here. It's one of many ways the police dept conducts it's daily responsibilities.

And their primary is to protect the citizens they serve. They do it by checking all avenues to see that everything is above board. And it's required already BY LAW.

Otherwise? They wouldn't bother and what purpose would they serve?

Government's FIRST objective is to protect it's citizens' LIBERTY. LAW...Define HOW.

I would hope these "Juan Crow" laws would be put to a end. Anyone who cherishes freedom and liberty should be against such laws that are not only racial profiling but a offense to any true civil libertarian.

bullshit

I noticed the Doggie Boy named something that has been dead for years...but a good deflection used by the perpetually desparate among the Statists...And uncovers a propensity Doggie has and it's RASCISM.

It's the card played by LOSERS without any recourse.

No they don't...

Arizona is about to find out

You may want to REREAD the Constitution, A State is FREE to pass any law that is in keeping with the Federal Governments laws. The Federal Government may not enforce the law but it exists. It is ILLEGAL to be in this Country with out proper paper work. A State is FREE under the Constitution to create laws that support Federal Law. Unless Congress changes said law the Arizona law is LEGAL and enforceable.

Fraid not .........the Federal Government has authority under the Supremacy clause. Arizona cannot pass laws that supercede Federal law.

No it does not. The FEDERAL Government PASSED the law making illegal Aliens criminals. The States have every right to enforce that law, which no matter how you cut it, Federal or State, REQUIRES the ability to check legal documents. You are BEYOND stupid.

We have 20 MILLION illegal aliens in the country from Mexico. 1/5th the mexican population is ILLEGALLY in the United States. Since the Congress and the federal Government REFUSE to act the States have every RIGHT to act. Since we are looking to kick out MEXICANS , your so called racial profiling is a misnomer. Shall we pull over blacks to catch Mexicans? How about whites? Or should we target MEXICANS?

Dumb ASS.

Not all the illegal aliens in this country are from Mexico however. And this law is based on how a officer feels. These are Juan Crow laws. There are other solutions, such as fining employers for hiring illegal immigrants. However, the republicans do not want to pass such laws as shown by the Wisc GOP today.

Believe me--the very 1st thing an illegal will try and get--is documentation showing citizenship--or papers verifying he is able to work in this country. Fineing employers for unknowingly accepting falsified documents cannot be done either. They obtain valid drivers licenses--and if you remember Obama is all for that--"stating they're not here to drive." This while we use our drivers license I.D for about everything. They don't even have a different colored drivers license, absolutely nothing different to indicate that they are not from this country.

To add--it was the democrat party that wanted to "defund" E-verify--an online tool for employers that could verify citizenship and proper papers.

Last edited:
We have 20 MILLION illegal aliens in the country from Mexico. 1/5th the mexican population is ILLEGALLY in the United States. Since the Congress and the federal Government REFUSE to act the States have every RIGHT to act. Since we are looking to kick out MEXICANS , your so called racial profiling is a misnomer. Shall we pull over blacks to catch Mexicans? How about whites? Or should we target MEXICANS?

Dumb ASS.

Not all the illegal aliens in this country are from Mexico however. And this law is based on how a officer feels. These are Juan Crow laws. There are other solutions, such as fining employers for hiring illegal immigrants. However, the republicans do not want to pass such laws as shown by the Wisc GOP today.

Believe me--the very 1st thing an illegal will try and get--is documentation showing citizenship--or papers verifying he is able to work in this country. Fineing employers for unknowingly accepting falsified documents cannot be done either. They obtain valid drivers licenses--and if you remember Obama is all for that--"stating they're not here to drive." This while we use our drivers license I.D for about everything. They don't even have a different colored drivers license, absolutely nothing different to indicate that they are not from this country.

To add--it was the democrat party that wanted to "defund" E-verify--an online tool for employers that could verify citizenship and proper papers.

Unable to REP you...

But we have to examine the intent of Democrats...And all they're after is more Constituents to keep them in power...[And ON their plantation---perpetually ]

No it does not. The FEDERAL Government PASSED the law making illegal Aliens criminals. The States have every right to enforce that law, which no matter how you cut it, Federal or State, REQUIRES the ability to check legal documents. You are BEYOND stupid.

I think where the argument comes from is the "political correctness" or profiling that will be done--which is what the FEDS will jump on. Certainly--the states have the right to arrest--detain and send back illegals--but it's the racial profiling that Obama and the supreme courts will be jumping around about. I mean there are a lot of legal--hispanics living in Arizona and for that matter all over this country.

All that needs to happen is cops asking people to use E-verify, which is Law, to confirm their citizenship. I would have no problem, its not profiling. If you don't check out, bye.

This is the result of Congress's inability to pass immigration legislation. I have no doubt that if the Republicans gain enough seats in the midterms there will be another stalemate and nothing will pass. The polarization that you see on this forum is echoed in Congress. This is what most Americans are fed up with, a Congress that does nothing.

But we do not need new immigration laws, we simply need to enforce the ones we already have.

FOXNews.com - Arizona Immigration Enforcement Law Spurs Obama Criticism

<excerpt>
During a naturalization ceremony for 24 members of the U.S. military, President Obama plunged into the Arizona immigration controversy, warning the Justice Department would investigate civil rights violations that might arise from a new law empowering local police to check a person's legal status.

"Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others," President Obama said Friday at the ceremony. "And that includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans."

Top officials said Justice Department lawyers will monitor whether legal residents in Arizona are caught up in immigration raids or are in any way forced to prove their legal residency. <more>

It is not illegal to require a person to prove legal residence. It is NOT a civil rights violation. In fact every State has the right and responsibility to verify status for numerous reasons.

This President is out of Control. He is violating the State rights and violating the Constitution.
American citizenship is a national right, not a state right.

FOXNews.com - Arizona Immigration Enforcement Law Spurs Obama Criticism

<excerpt>
During a naturalization ceremony for 24 members of the U.S. military, President Obama plunged into the Arizona immigration controversy, warning the Justice Department would investigate civil rights violations that might arise from a new law empowering local police to check a person's legal status.

"Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others," President Obama said Friday at the ceremony. "And that includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans."

Top officials said Justice Department lawyers will monitor whether legal residents in Arizona are caught up in immigration raids or are in any way forced to prove their legal residency. <more>

It is not illegal to require a person to prove legal residence. It is NOT a civil rights violation. In fact every State has the right and responsibility to verify status for numerous reasons.

This President is out of Control. He is violating the State rights and violating the Constitution.
American citizenship is a national right, not a state right.

Does not the state have the right to order it's police forces to enforce a federal law?

Forum List

Back