Obama warns Arizona civil rights violations will be investigated by Justice Dept.

They'll find out how much spending occurs when cheap labor is the norm. No spending, lots of foreclosures, and no good jobs. Deporting the illegals would help get wages back up where they belong.

I would hope these "Juan Crow" laws would be put to a end. Anyone who cherishes freedom and liberty should be against such laws that are not only racial profiling but a offense to any true civil libertarian.

You said it...I want the freedom and liberty to CHOOSE whether I have health insurance or not.

I guess when the bank asks me for my ID, I should cry "PROFILING!!"

Any officer in any town can pull someone over if they want to. They can call it "suspicious behavior" and they are covered. They can find any number of reasons to check your ID.

I think Mr. Obama is going to push another wedge into this country with this law and demonize any steps taken by the states without his blessing.

Has anyone commenting, the President included, even troubled him/herself to READ this new law?

SB1070 - 492R - Senate Fact Sheet

Go back to making shitty music videos. "if reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the U.S."

How can a cop tell the difference between an alien who is here legally from an alien that is here illegally? ESP? The reasonable suspicion will be?

:cuckoo:

You said it...I want the freedom and liberty to CHOOSE whether I have health insurance or not.

Any officer in any town can pull someone over if they want to. They can call it "suspicious behavior" and they are covered. They can find any number of reasons to check your ID.

I think Mr. Obama is going to push another wedge into this country with this law and demonize any steps taken by the states without his blessing.

Banks are not the government.

If the police in any jurisdiction stops too many people who are aliens, both illegal and legal, they will be violating Arizona state law and federal law.

get a life

Has anyone commenting, the President included, even troubled him/herself to READ this new law?

Go back to making shitty music videos. "if reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the U.S."

How can a cop tell the difference between an alien who is here legally from an alien that is here illegally? ESP? The reasonable suspicion will be?

Requires officials and agencies of the state and political subdivisions to fully comply with and assist in the enforcement of federal immigration laws and gives county attorneys subpoena power in certain investigations of employers. Establishes crimes involving trespassing by illegal aliens, stopping to hire or soliciting work under specified circumstances, and transporting, harboring or concealing unlawful aliens, and their respective penalties.
That's the opening.

Read the bill.

Requires officials and agencies of the state and political subdivisions to fully comply with and assist in the enforcement of federal immigration laws and gives county attorneys subpoena power in certain investigations of employers. Establishes crimes involving trespassing by illegal aliens, stopping to hire or soliciting work under specified circumstances, and transporting, harboring or concealing unlawful aliens, and their respective penalties.
That's the opening.

Read the bill.

The bill covers a lot of ground. It is smoke and mirrors. It will be struck down.

The police can be sued if they fail to enforce the law but if they start rounding up citizens who refuse to provide proof of their citizenship, they’ll get sued for that too (though the law protects officers who wrongly arrest citizens or those in the country legally).

This portion of the law is a legal train wreck and won’t stand.

Key part of SB 1070 not likely to be a law for long - Caveat Lector
too much bullshit in one law

The new law allows police officers to arrest those they believe are in this country illegally. Those in violation are subject to the misdemeanor offense of trespassing punishable by up to six months in jail and a $2,500 fine before deportation.

The bill raises concerns by some in law enforcement because it is unfunded and may lead to racial profiling. It also allows individuals to sue local police departments if they believe they were wrongly targeted or arrested. Municipalities could be fined between $1,000 to $5,000 per day in such instances.

Police will be trained on new immigration law

Last edited:

That's the opening.

Read the bill.

The bill covers a lot of ground. It is smoke and mirrors. It will be struck down.

I don't think so, but we will watch and see.

Actually, any suspicious behavior is justifiable by an officer. It could be any number of things. Hell, he can claim the person resembles a person of interest in an active criminal investigation.

The real clue is the guy that takes off running. LOL

Is it profiling if the store clerk checks an ID on a 22 year old because that person looks 17?

That's the opening.

Read the bill.

I don't think so, but we will watch and see.

The new law allows police officers to arrest those they believe are in this country illegally. Those in violation are subject to the misdemeanor offense of trespassing punishable by up to six months in jail and a $2,500 fine before deportation.

The bill raises concerns by some in law enforcement because it is unfunded and may lead to racial profiling. It also allows individuals to sue local police departments if they believe they were wrongly targeted or arrested. Municipalities could be fined between $1,000 to $5,000 per day in such instances.

Police will be trained on new immigration law

It's all about keeping immigration a hot button issue and up front and center.

FOXNews.com - Arizona Immigration Enforcement Law Spurs Obama Criticism

<excerpt>
During a naturalization ceremony for 24 members of the U.S. military, President Obama plunged into the Arizona immigration controversy, warning the Justice Department would investigate civil rights violations that might arise from a new law empowering local police to check a person's legal status.

"Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others," President Obama said Friday at the ceremony. "And that includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans."

Top officials said Justice Department lawyers will monitor whether legal residents in Arizona are caught up in immigration raids or are in any way forced to prove their legal residency. <more>

OK, let's see...

Separation of church and state, a right to privacy and now "basic notions of fairness".

Anything else we want to pretend is in the Constitution liberals?

I once worked in a restaurant that was raided by immigration. The federal agents conducting the raid required me to produce ID. Should I sue now?

Actually, any suspicious behavior is justifiable by an officer. It could be any number of things. Hell, he can claim the person resembles a person of interest in an active criminal investigation.

Is it profiling if the store clerk checks an ID on a 22 year old because that person looks 17?

Police aren't store clerks. If the police follow through on this it is lawsuit city. The courts have already ruled on most issues raised by this so-called new law.

It's a hodgepodge of previously rejected attempts.

FOXNews.com - Arizona Immigration Enforcement Law Spurs Obama Criticism

<excerpt>
During a naturalization ceremony for 24 members of the U.S. military, President Obama plunged into the Arizona immigration controversy, warning the Justice Department would investigate civil rights violations that might arise from a new law empowering local police to check a person's legal status.

"Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others," President Obama said Friday at the ceremony. "And that includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans."

Top officials said Justice Department lawyers will monitor whether legal residents in Arizona are caught up in immigration raids or are in any way forced to prove their legal residency. <more>

OK, let's see...

Separation of church and state, a right to privacy and now "basic notions of fairness".

Anything else we want to pretend is in the Constitution liberals?

I once worked in a restaurant that was raided by immigration. The federal agents conducting the raid required me to produce ID. Should I sue now?
you truly are unclear on the concept.

Banks are not the government.

If the police in any jurisdiction stops too many people who are aliens, both illegal and legal, they will be violating Arizona state law and federal law.

get a life

No...banks aren't government..you get a cookie!! But the reasons are the same...they are required to confirm that you are who you say you are. Are you saying that they have the right to ask that but the police don't?

I have a life...and you're a better person for having been part of it. LOL

So what's the problem? If they have limits, then isn't that a clue that they aren't going to go nuts and pull over every "suspicious" person they see?

This is the result of Congress's inability to pass immigration legislation. I have no doubt that if the Republicans gain enough seats in the midterms there will be another stalemate and nothing will pass. The polarization that you see on this forum is echoed in Congress. This is what most Americans are fed up with, a Congress that does nothing.

This is the result of Congress's inability to pass immigration legislation. I have no doubt that if the Republicans gain enough seats in the midterms there will be another stalemate and nothing will pass. The polarization that you see on this forum is echoed in Congress. This is what most Americans are fed up with, a Congress that does nothing.

So Americans are fed up with themselves/each other?

you get a Gold Star. :clap2:

Police aren't store clerks. If the police follow through on this it is lawsuit city. The courts have already ruled on most issues raised by this so-called new law.

It's a hodgepodge of previously rejected attempts.

Police aren't store clerks....

You're two for two!!! And still the concept remains the same....

Who do you think will file lawsuits? And what do you mean by "The courts have already ruled on most issues raised by this so-called new law."?

No...banks aren't government..you get a cookie!! But the reasons are the same...they are required to confirm that you are who you say you are. Are you saying that they have the right to ask that but the police don't?

I have a life...and you're a better person for having been part of it. LOL

So what's the problem? If they have limits, then isn't that a clue that they aren't going to go nuts and pull over every "suspicious" person they see?

The reasons are only the same in the sense of a question asked. The Supreme Court has already ruled on the states and ID laws.

I don't think the law is about pulling people over, and I have no idea where you got that impression. Reading or listing to right wing douchebaghery again?

Forum List

Back