Obama Urges Soviet-Style Voting Laws

So far, there have been two topics started by the mass email rubes on this "mandatory voting".

We should start a lottery pool which allows people to bet on how many total topics the rubes will start about it.

And now we're up to 3 so far!
I looked on the first page of the politics forum to see if anyone had already posted about this. Maybe I missed it. Oh, well.

The boi is still but hurt because he lost congress, it won't go anywhere. But I will take the money in politics over millions of ignorant voters any day.
Oh, right the few with big money should have say over the destiny of millions of others. Yeah, you really are a republican, arent you?

Make decisions by consensus, take away any effect of bribing or buying anyone (since the decisions rely on the consent of others, not just on the decision makers), and all money currently poured into campaign lobbying can be invested in solutions.

Consensus of who, the ill-informed, get real girl.
Why are you so opposed to democracy?

Because democracy is mob rule, we live in a republic, don't like it leave. You have the freedom to do that and to decide if you're going to vote or not. Why do you hate freedom?

How are you going to enforce it? Are you going to have the police and military round people take them to the polls and hold them their till they vote and lock them up if they refuse? Just how much control do some of you want the government to have over you?
I think a fine would suffice. Perhaps a tax penalty. That's just my opinion.
If they don't pay it what then? First it was mandatory health insurance now we're talking about mandatory voting just where does this mandatory stuff end?
The consequences would work like any fine imposed on a citizen.
How do you know given none of this has been proposed in Congress? And again where do you end what the government can make mandatory how much power do you want them to have?

If they don't pay it what then? First it was mandatory health insurance now we're talking about mandatory voting just where does this mandatory stuff end?

And if the citizen refuses to pay the fine. Then what?
The consequences would be similar to refuse to pay any fine.

So you're not ruling out prision time, huh, Adolf?
What fine in our system would send you to prison rather than jail?
Prison jail same shit.

The boi is still but hurt because he lost congress, it won't go anywhere. But I will take the money in politics over millions of ignorant voters any day.
Oh, right the few with big money should have say over the destiny of millions of others. Yeah, you really are a republican, arent you?

Make decisions by consensus, take away any effect of bribing or buying anyone (since the decisions rely on the consent of others, not just on the decision makers), and all money currently poured into campaign lobbying can be invested in solutions.

Because democracy is mob rule, we live in a republic, don't like it leave. You have the freedom to do that and to decide if you're going to vote or not. Why do you hate freedom?
I love freedom, but even freedom has limitations. Are you not aware of laws that have always existed that limit personal freedoms?

And if the citizen refuses to pay the fine. Then what?
The consequences would be similar to refuse to pay any fine.

So you're not ruling out prision time, huh, Adolf?
What fine in our system would send you to prison rather than jail?
Are you retarded? You can go to jail for as little as unpaid parking tickets.
Um yeah moron. Jail, not prison.

How are you going to enforce it? Are you going to have the police and military round people take them to the polls and hold them their till they vote and lock them up if they refuse? Just how much control do some of you want the government to have over you?
How do you know given none of this has been proposed in Congress? And again where do you end what the government can make mandatory how much power do you want them to have?
Why does it matter whether or not it has been discussed in congress? We aren't talking about the viability of the law. I am just expressing my opinion.

He wants mandatory voting not so everyone will vote, he knows they won't. Most people will get to the polls and sign their name and turn around and leave without voting. Obama the fascist wants to increase the rolls so the Democraps can have a larger pool to cheat with.

Why does it matter whether or not it has been discussed in congress? We aren't talking about the viability of the law. I am just expressing my opinion.
How do you discuss the viability of something that would be mandatory without knowing what the consequences would be for refusing? It seems to me if your aim was to make everyone vote the punishment for not doing so would have to be fairly severe.

The suggestion was...........more voters means the less money will influence and election.
Makes sense. Keep the big $$$$$ out of the election cycle.
But then the koch boys would hate that and it seems you are in their pocket.
Another koch sucker.

If people are disgusted by all the available "major" candidates and don't want to vote, they will no longer be allowed to make that choice.

Obama is proposing that people be forced to vote even if they don't want to. Apparently he feels there aren't enough regulations and restrictions on the American people, and he wants more.

He has not yet announced what punishment they would get if they tried to not vote. But I'm sure he'll get around to it.

And it would just be a matter of time before the Supreme Court declared that the punishment wasn't a penalty, but just a tax.

The Constitution says clearly that poll taxes are forbidden. But how about a tax for NOT going to the polls?

Is there anything Obama won't try to impose on us?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mandatory voting Obama says it would be transformative - Yahoo News

Mandatory voting? Obama says it would be 'transformative'

Associated Press
By JOSH LEDERMAN
18 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — They say the only two things that are certain in life are death and taxes. President Barack Obama wants to add one more: voting.

Obama floated the idea of mandatory voting in the U.S. while speaking to a civic group in Cleveland on Wednesday. Asked about the corrosive influence of money in U.S. elections, Obama digressed into the related topic of voting rights and said the U.S. should be making it easier — not harder— for people to vote.

"If everybody voted, then it would completely change the political map in this country," Obama said, calling it potentially transformative. Not only that, Obama said, but universal voting would "counteract money more than anything."

Disproportionately, Americans who skip the polls on Election Day are younger, lower-income and more likely to be immigrants or minorities, Obama said.

I'm all for it. If it means defeating big money in politics, then let's do it. Afterall, most Americans side with today's most important issues such as raising the minimum wage, raising taxes on the wealthy, and the government acting on climate change. Unfortunately, Americans seem confused which party supports what so too many vote republican which is a complete travesty.

Obama Maybe it s time for mandatory voting - CNN.com

you do realize that big money doesn't vote? You do realize that big money won't go away. You seem to be under the impression that all that don't vote align with you but I am thinking just the opposite. Those who don't vote at the ballot box are voting none the less. This is just government trying to tell people what to do. I am actually for less people voting and them letting me decide for them.

How do you discuss the viability of something that would be mandatory without knowing what the consequences would be for refusing? It seems to me if your aim was to make everyone vote the punishment for not doing so would have to be fairly severe.
Let me ask you this, if someone flat out refuses to pay their speeding ticket, what should their punishment be?

I love freedom, but even freedom has limitations. Are you not aware of laws that have always existed that limit personal freedoms?

Your lie and deflection are noted, typical you. Carry on.

Your lie and deflection are noted, typical you. Carry on.
I'm lying about laws that limit personal freedoms?

Probably most of the people who don't vote, are those who aren't paying attention, don't know what the various candidates offer... and especially, they don't know what the candidates have done in the past.

No wonder Obama wants people like that, to vote. More of them will vote Democrat than any voters who DO know what the Democrats have done in the past.

Ignorant and uninformed people are the lifeblood of the Democrat party. No one else wants anything to do with them.
It the Democratic Party,,Einstein....

Let me ask you this, if someone flat out refuses to pay their speeding ticket, what should their punishment be?
If they refuse long enough a warrant is issued for their arrest. So would you support making voting mandatory with the punishment being possible arrest for not doing so?

Forum List

Back