Obama to Force Kids to Serve the Community

I agree with calling for people to volunteer their services... perhaps give kids a notation of this on the HS transcript for preference...

As long as it is not forced or required for graduation... for there are kids with other responsibilities... like for example when I was a kid, I was working 39 hours a week (1 less than full time, because it was illegal to have kids under 18 working full time during the school year) to help support my family... some have other activities for their future including sports or they are taking college classes ahead of time... ... I cannot see this as a mandated requirement... and I don't think Obama means it to be, at least I really hope that is the case

I agree.

My 16 year old daughter has a 93 average. She's the president of Habitat for Humanity at her High School. She belongs to the Key Club. She volunteers her time for mostly everything that comes up at the school that she's asked to do. She also has a job. She works at the neighborhood pet store which she closes every night as well as weekends. She gets two tons of homework a week and she constantly has papers due, projects due....it never ends. She goes to bed late hours keeping up with her work and she wakes up at 4am sometimes to finish what she could not stay up doing. Enough already.

Some kids don't do crap. I know because I'm a substitute teacher at the High School. They come to school with ipods and I wonder sometimes if the earbuds aren't permanent. Their cell phones are a permanent fixture used for texting all day long. You take it away, anothe rone appears. They don't do homework and they could care less that if they don't complete the handout I give them in class they'll get a 0 factored into their grade. They spend the day half asleep on their desk and they don't participate in any after school activities either. They do however have very expensive jewelry, new state of the art sneakers and perfectly matched outfits, jeans, hair, nails etc. I guess those are the rewards their parent's give them for their good grades??

FORCING my child to do anymore is gonna break her....
but I would definately hurrah if you can force any of those children I decribed above to do a damned thing.

Why do I get the feeling that the kids who already have enough on their plate are going to get the brunt of it.....

and the same old same old is going to happen.

I don't like the word Forced.

They (he) need to think more about this before the InFORCE it.

Maybe kids who don't apply themselves in school will have no choice but to do community service etc. Kids who cut school continuously or get low grades based on incomplete work. But then again....those kids probably won't show up for the Community service either!

Ravi the only time kids are required to do community service out here, is if there parents can't afford school fees and school lunches, in that sense the government has the kids do work at school to pay off the fees. But if parents afford the school fees there is no requirement for community service as there shouldnt be.

Im all for volunteeering and I used to go to an old folks home and read to an elderly woman who was blind two times a week. It was rewarding for both me and the elderly woman and I learned alot just from listening to her life experiences her insights from what she lived through. Still, somehow if someone told me I was Required to do it on my off work time, it would lose its appeal.

And I think that is complete horseshit

Land of the not-so-free, I guess

for real. this thread, and trumped op faux outrage about youthful community service, is about as stupid as it comes. absolutely fucking RE TAR DED.

100 hours a year in college is too much.

Peace corps is voluntary, this 100 hours bit is fine if not required. I don't see how he could reasonably epect to require it.

I do think that getting people involved is a good way to lower their risk for drugs/gangs etc. Idle hands etc.

And I think that is complete horseshit

Land of the not-so-free, I guess
Red state rules. My daughter did her entire 40 hours in one week over the summer working for Habitat for Humanity.

I guess she's been totally pwned by the government, poor thing.

Yes, requiring community service for graduation is a great idea. I mean, the dropout rate is already outrageous, let's give students one more reason not to want to finish high school.

Not to mention that community service for scholarships is bullshit. The scholarships I received were based on my merit in high school (grades, extracurriculars, teacher recommendations), and that's how it should be. If Joe Blow C-Average student can get a free ride through college, where's the incentive for students to do above average?

Red state rules. My daughter did her entire 40 hours in one week over the summer working for Habitat for Humanity.

I guess she's been totally pwned by the government, poor thing.

:lol:

i think working as a volunteer for some credit towards your college education is perfectly legit....

it is not a handout.

that's funny as shit. only about 53% of us are required to pay income tax. the rest get handouts. :eusa_whistle:

Yes, requiring community service for graduation is a great idea. I mean, the dropout rate is already outrageous, let's give students one more reason not to want to finish high school.

Not to mention that community service for scholarships is bullshit. The scholarships I received were based on my merit in high school (grades, extracurriculars, teacher recommendations), and that's how it should be. If Joe Blow C-Average student can get a free ride through college, where's the incentive for students to do above average?

pleasing Obama is where it's all at, man---:cool:

naw fuckit, dude. Let's pretend that America isn't already crying about kids being produced in public schools and forget any effort to evoke better students that doesn't cost what "no child left behind" did. Hell, who needs solutions when we are so fucking addicted to crying like bitches about problems? fuck yea, what ELSE makes an individual value an experience besides making an effort to work towards agoal, eh? Shit, why not just let your kid print out their own fucking diploma as long as they can hook up a USB printer? LORD FUCKING KNOWS that giving average kids an options besides scarce labor will make smart kids all just throw in the towel! Kids live in a social vacuum like that!

What if scholarships were still merit/grade based but by doing community service you could get additional scholarship money?

Where's the money coming from anyway? hmmmm. . . . .

What if scholarships were still merit/grade based but by doing community service you could get additional scholarship money?

Where's the money coming from anyway? hmmmm. . . . .

The 11% tax increase he's imposing on the wealthy. He wants to give the poor and middle class tax breaks, putting more money in their pockets so that they can save for things like their kids' college tuitions, but then he's going to further tax to rich to give scholarships to the kids of the people whom he gave the tax breaks to.

Robin Hood, much?

naw fuckit, dude. Let's pretend that America isn't already crying about kids being produced in public schools and forget any effort to evoke better students that doesn't cost what "no child left behind" did. Hell, who needs solutions when we are so fucking addicted to crying like bitches about problems? fuck yea, what ELSE makes an individual value an experience besides making an effort to work towards agoal, eh? Shit, why not just let your kid print out their own fucking diploma as long as they can hook up a USB printer? LORD FUCKING KNOWS that giving average kids an options besides scarce labor will make smart kids all just throw in the towel! Kids live in a social vacuum like that!

Schools already require community service to people who can't afford the school fees and school lunches. People who can afford to pay the fees aren't required to do Community Service. The point is everyone should not be required to do community service the option of paying the fees if you can afford it should still be there.

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control

How can you eat pudding if you don't eat your meat....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bvT-DGcWw]YouTube - Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall[/ame]

I'm starting to wish I was a therapist...these people are going to need some serious talk therapy or we'll have a wave of suicides.

Volunteer = To perform or offer to perform a service of one's own free will.

Require= To impose an obligation on.

Forum List

Back