Obama to Force Kids to Serve the Community

Personally I see not one thing wrong with community service as long as it remains voluntary and not mandatory. The pride and knowledge someone would get from helping others in the community IMHO would impact a young person in a much more positive manner if they take it upon themselves to do it. If it were made mandatory, many of thse young people would see it like chore and would learn nothing from it other than it's just something they have to do.

I'm starting to think you were lying when you told Caligirl that you would be happy if Obama won.

You didn't provide a link. Why?

Obama's plan doesn't have the word "force" or "require" in it.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/ObamaBlueprintForChange.pdf

They are asking for 100 hours of community service from college kids in exchange for scholarships.

And they want goals and guidelines to promote community service for middle school kids.

Because the link was already provided in the OP but I will gladly give it to you again.

America Serves | Change.gov

I don't believe there should be any monetary reward for it... that would sort of be against the whole concept of volunteering, now wouldn't it??

But having it noted and documented so that it can bee seen as a positive thing when interviewing for jobs, college acceptance, etc... that is perfectly reasonable

Agreed. Good point Dave.

God forbid anyone does community service...OMG, can you imagine making a student do between 4-100 hours SERVICE in a year...thank is disgusting...that Obama...he is a facist in Marxist clothing....lol

Oh, the horror!!!!

"Calling on", and "encouraging" americans to serve their communities.

It doesn't say anything about "forcing" them. Do you enjoy lying?

What is it with you republicans? People should be encouraged to serve their communities, and if Obama wants to give them college scholarship money if they agree to do so, that sounds emminently sensible to me.

Why don't you republicans want to serve your country and community?

Oops... Sorry I shouldn't have used the word "Force" it should be "Require"... Please explan the difference to me.. Thanks.

i think working as a volunteer for some credit towards your college education is perfectly legit....

it is not a handout.

I don't believe there should be any monetary reward for it... that would sort of be against the whole concept of volunteering, now wouldn't it??
But having it noted and documented so that it can bee seen as a positive thing when interviewing for jobs, college acceptance, etc... that is perfectly reasonable

Volunteering is done without expecting anything in return. If his plan is 100 hrs. of community service in exchange for college scholarships, then it isn't volunteering and shoudln't be looked at as such.

No force involved, kids. I'm surprised dillo isn't calling KMAN on his partisan bullshit.

Once again... For the liberals let me correct the thread... Instead of Force it should be Require... Now some liberal please explain the difference between require and force...
Thanks.

i think working as a volunteer for some credit towards your college education is perfectly legit....

it is not a handout.

Yes... that would be another great thing... having a credit or 2 go toward an elective credit... special recognition at HS graduation of those who voluntarily participated... things like that

God forbid anyone does community service...OMG, can you imagine making a student do between 4-100 hours SERVICE in a year...thank is disgusting...that Obama...he is a facist in Marxist clothing....lol

Oh yes--the youth of America will love that----slave labor comes to mind. Have you ever seen the work done by volunteers who are REQUIRED to do it ??? Those folks that have to do Community Service as punishment for a crime really do a bang up job. :lol:

FYI - I WOULDN'T HAVE POSTED THIS IF IT WAS REQUESTED OR VOLUNTARY!!!!!! HE SAYS IT WILL BE REQUIRED!!!....

You liberals are self proclaimed to be the smartest people in the world yet you can't understand the word REQUIRED.....sheesh....

Volunteering is done without expecting anything in return. If his plan is 100 hrs. of community service in exchange for college scholarships, then it isn't volunteering and shoudln't be looked at as such.

But some do volunteer work and note it during job interviews, applications for organizations like the Masons, etc... to put insight into their character... and I think that is perfectly acceptable

Diamond Dave - Yes they do, but it I am sure we could all find between 1 and 2 hours a week...I know many who did...I know many college kids who would rather sit in the bar, so getting them out and doing 1 or 2 hours of community service a week is nothing but a good thing.

Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

Volunteer is a good idea, even offering community service plans as an exchange for scholarships is a great idea, but require sounds like a draft.

Diamond Dave - Yes they do, but it I am sure we could all find between 1 and 2 hours a week...I know many who did...I know many college kids who would rather sit in the bar, so getting them out and doing 1 or 2 hours of community service a week is nothing but a good thing.

And I know many who can't... I know in my past I could not... I was working a lot to help support my family, as soon as it was legal for me to work... plus I was varsity track... plus helping take care of siblings, etc

And if it is 'required' for graduation... I disagree that it is a good thing...

This should be to promote community service or volunteerism.... not to force service

Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

Volunteer is a good idea, even offering community service plans as an exchange for scholarships is a great idea, but require sounds like a draft.

And in middle school and early high school.. who does it punish? parents.. who would then also be required to make sure they get there, etc... parents who may be working swing or night shift... parents with 2 jobs and not a lot of free time

The more you look into this Obama plan.. the more it shows itself to be idiotic....

Oh, the horror!!!!

"Calling on", and "encouraging" americans to serve their communities.

It doesn't say anything about "forcing" them. Do you enjoy lying?

What is it with you republicans? People should be encouraged to serve their communities, and if Obama wants to give them college scholarship money if they agree to do so, that sounds emminently sensible to me.

Why don't you republicans want to serve your country and community?

cause yer in charge now, same thing you did when Bush was in charge. sorta goose and gander... you had eight years to say fuck this country, now it's our turn.

Forum List

Back