Obama to Force Kids to Serve the Community

And Middle Schoolers... I think the police would have something about them driving... and parents having a problem with them going somewhere on their own to do forced service

And as stated... if the kids would CHOOSE to do service in HS as a benefit, something to put on their college application, receiving a couple elective credits as a result of their efforts... all well and fine... but to MANDATE it is a whole other story
Yeah, 50 hours in 6 years...what a burden. I'm sure you and Skull Pilot can get a waiver for your kids...just tell the school your kids will only do anything for money.

The 11% tax increase he's imposing on the wealthy. He wants to give the poor and middle class tax breaks, putting more money in their pockets so that they can save for things like their kids' college tuitions, but then he's going to further tax to rich to give scholarships to the kids of the people whom he gave the tax breaks to.

Robin Hood, much?

lol We were watching one of the debates when Obama mentioned his '$4,000 tax credit'. My ears perked up, as our oldest is a freshman in college. I said to my husband 'hey, maybe that's not a bad idea. Sounds good.' He just looked at me and said 'Think -- where is he going to get the money from?' Aaagggghhhh, I had a momentary lapse of reason and was sucked into the cult mind-think.

Yes, even though we are one of those who would benefit from this, I simply do not think that taxing Bob-the-Small-Business-Builder or Uber-Wealthy-Rich-Guy for this money is right. Why should they pay for my kid to go to college?

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

America Serves | Change.gov

I believe in FL you already have to do a certain number of hours community service to graduate from high school. I'm not sure why this would be viewed as a bad thing. Kids and young adults are members of society too, why shouldn't they contribute?

I believe in FL you already have to do a certain number of hours community service to graduate from high school. I'm not sure why this would be viewed as a bad thing. Kids and young adults are members of society too, why shouldn't they contribute?

Because a democrat said it. If a repub did, he'd be talking about how patriotic it is.

also, wouldn't this help keep kids out of trouble? less time to fuck around and fall in with the wrong crowds if they are busy helping in homeless shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.

My daughter is 14 and she volunteers at the local homeless shelter twice a month, serving them dinner and helping sort clothing. It gives her a good perspective on how fortunate she is in life and keeps her from being a greedy lil asshole. :lol:

eta: i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that ANY young person working at an actual paying job would be exempt from this community service program, especially if it was to help support their families.

Last edited:
I wonder where Obama is going to get the authority to force students to "volunteer." The government does not own our lives, and cannot force us to do something just because they think it's a good thing.

I wonder where Obama is going to get the authority to force students to "volunteer." The government does not own our lives, and cannot force us to do something just because they think it's a good thing.
Well, they already force our kids to attend school.

Yeah, 50 hours in 6 years...what a burden. I'm sure you and Skull Pilot can get a waiver for your kids...just tell the school your kids will only do anything for money.

that's the American way. but hey if you want your kids to work for free, i got some yard work for them

Because a democrat said it. If a repub did, he'd be talking about how patriotic it is.

Since I am neither, what's your point?

If you want someone to tell you what to do, I'll be more than happy to give you a to do list.

They can make it a requirement of graduation. You must clock so many hours of community service to obtain a diploma.

according to the NYTimes in 1994 it was already becoming mandatory

High Schools Mandating Community Service for Graduation - New York Times

It's also already required in some schools

HHS - Community Service

This isn't exactly a new or radical idea.

They can make it a requirement of graduation. You must clock so many hours of community service to obtain a diploma.

HHS - Community Service

It is already required at some schools as you said. Besides, colleges love to see it on your resume/transcript.

Last edited:

HHS - Community Service

Yes, I'm aware of how they plan to pull it off, and I'm pretty sure there was some kind of community service that had to be done when I graduated from high school. However, where in the Constitution does the federal government have the power to force students to do community service? This would imply that the government owns you and can make you do whatever they want.

Yes, I'm aware of how they plan to pull it off, and I'm pretty sure there was some kind of community service that had to be done when I graduated from high school. However, where in the Constitution does the federal government have the power to force students to do community service?

Where did it say women and blacks couldn't vote?

Or blacks had to be enslaved? Or that Gays couldn't get married?

Or kids had to attend schools? Or that people have to pay certain taxes?

Or that the Gov't has a right to spy on it's citizens?

Guess what, shit like this happens.

Besides, Community Service is actually good for the community.

Here's the thing about that Constitution, it's flawed and people who are dependent on the constitution only to suit their laws are not fully grasping the situation.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of how they plan to pull it off, and I'm pretty sure there was some kind of community service that had to be done when I graduated from high school. However, where in the Constitution does the federal government have the power to force students to do community service? This would imply that the government owns you and can make you do whatever they want.

Personally, I think there would have to be some quid pro quo for it, like if you want money for college, either by way of loans, grants or other federal funding, you have to keep up your public service, either through working in the civilian sector or by doing military service.

Just my opinion. I think a straight requirement for service would probably not pass muster.

Personally, I think there would have to be some quid pro quo for it, like if you want money for college, either by way of loans, grants or other federal funding, you have to keep up your public service, either through working in the civilian sector or by doing military service.

Just my opinion. I think a straight requirement for service would probably not pass muster.

That is a actual good way to get rid of illegal immigrants and make them legal citizens.

Have them serve a tour in the Military or something like that if they want.

Gets rid of the underpopulated troop size and solves other problems.

Now of course there are several kinks and problems with that plan but it is a good idea.

Where did it say women and blacks couldn't vote?

Or blacks had to be enslaved? Or that Gays couldn't get married?

Or kids had to attend schools? Or that people have to pay certain taxes?

Or that the Gov't has a right to spy on it's citizens?

Guess what, shit like this happens.

Besides, Community Service is actually good for the community.

Here's the thing about that Constitution, it's flawed and people who are dependent on the constitution only to suit their laws are not fully grasping the situation.

It doesn't say any of that, which is why I've told you before that it was all illegal. Though depending on what taxes you're talking about, that's in there. The 16th amendment specifically talks about the income tax, which I'm opposed to for the record.

No doubt community service is good for the community, I'm not against it. However, having the government force people to volunteer takes everything good about it and throws it out the window. As I said, this implies that the government owns our lives and can make us do whatever they want. The Constitution is meant to protect us from this type of authoritarian abuse.

That is a actual good way to get rid of illegal immigrants and make them legal citizens.

Have them serve a tour in the Military or something like that if they want.

Gets rid of the underpopulated troop size and solves other problems.

Now of course there are several kinks and problems with that plan but it is a good idea.

I don't agree with forcing people into military service AT ALL! esp not when their lives could be placed in danger.

I'm willing to die for my daughter and my family...I am NOT willing to die for this country, sorry.

I don't agree with forcing people into military service AT ALL! esp not when their lives could be placed in danger.

I'm willing to die for my daughter and my family...I am NOT willing to die for this country, sorry.

Never said they would be forced.

But they can come out of hiding and register for the military and become legal citizens after serving a tour.

It doesn't matter if you were born here, if you serve this country in it's military then you are a citizen in my opinion.

Also note in my original post I said if they want.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back