Obama to Cap Military Pay Raise – Again

god forbid the golden calf of the military have to endure stagnant wages with the rest of america.
the horror!
you know the great thing about the military? clear ways forward in promotion and excellent job security. put your time in, complete your training, and you will get a pay raise.

know of a lot of other careers that can say that?

How much do you think the payraise should be?

The military is taking a big sequester cut, are conservatives willing to end the stupid sequester?

On August 29, President Obama sent a letter notifying Congress that he is using his authority under law to cap the active duty military pay raise at 1 percent in 2015.
Typically the active duty pay raise is determined by private sector wage growth, measured by the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Employment Cost Index (ECI). The ECI calls for a 1.8 percent pay raise in 2015.
However, the President has executive authority to make an alternative pay adjustment if he considers it necessary due to national emergency or economic concerns.

The military will get a one percent raise instead of 1.8 percent
Presidents have been doing this for decades...President Reagan was the worst

god forbid the golden calf of the military have to endure stagnant wages with the rest of america.
the horror!
you know the great thing about the military? clear ways forward in promotion and excellent job security. put your time in, complete your training, and you will get a pay raise.

I do not know where this information came from except possibly from someones empty head.
Having spent 27 years in the military I can tell you it is not all that easy. Yes there are clear pathways for promotion but those promotions are earned through performance - demonstrated performance, demonstrated leadership, demonstrated knowledge and the demonstrated ability to lead men both in battle and in garrison. Job security is based upon time in service - if you do not achieve a specific grade by a specific time you are denied re-enlistment. Getting a pay raise is not automatic, it is based solely upon the whims of the president and Congress and there DOD Budget.

When I was in 1982-88 it was a New York City bus depot in the Army, it took career points to advance as NCO the cut off was 999 out of 1000...We were overstaffed since the fellow in my section was suppose to get out of the military and I was to take his place. They will find any reason to red flag you even in lower enlisted rank advancement.

the horror!

I do not know where this information came from except possibly from someones empty head.
Having spent 27 years in the military I can tell you it is not all that easy. Yes there are clear pathways for promotion but those promotions are earned through performance - demonstrated performance, demonstrated leadership, demonstrated knowledge and the demonstrated ability to lead men both in battle and in garrison. Job security is based upon time in service - if you do not achieve a specific grade by a specific time you are denied re-enlistment. Getting a pay raise is not automatic, it is based solely upon the whims of the president and Congress and there DOD Budget.
Well I suggest you look at a pay schedule. More experience means higher pay even if the rank remains the same.

the horror!

Well I suggest you look at a pay schedule. More experience means higher pay even if the rank remains the same.

I do not have to look at a pay scale for I know what it was in 1962 and know what it is today along with all the studies being run to simplify and change the system. You obviously do not have the experience to back up your comments with anything but talk.

More experience equates to more time in service for which the longevity increase (every two years) kicks in. That longevity increase was there to help keep pace with the civilian pay increases especially when Congress and the President cut the budget and scaled back the pay raise. The annual raise has become an almost expected item since the move toward an all volunteer force. If it is necessary is something I question; however given all the talk about downsizing, retirement overhaul and pay overhaul (including all benefits in one sum - base pay housing, rations, combat pay, etc) the troops need and earn everything they get and then some. Most civilians roll their eyes when talking about military compensation and benefits as though we get too much. But they did not have the gumption to do what we do or have done. I will take every thing they give me with pleasure for I and my family endured what most civilians do not have the stomach for.

more incentive for enlistment eh ?? why does a third world sewer hole like America need a military ??

My comment to you is - we don't need slimebags like you here. So, why don't you cross the border - going the other way!

Forum List

Back