Obama to announce $795 million in funding to expand broadband in poor, rural areas

When FDR wanted to run electricity to folks in the 30s they fought that also.
How dare folks want electricity just because others had it?

And that makes it the government's responsibility HOW?

The government is not in existence just to fulfill your wants at the expense of someone else

I don't know the history behind it but my guess is that at the time it was too much of an investment for private companies to run their lines there for the amount of return they expected.

this isn't about 'not' having it, this is about faster internet....if they have telephone lines, they can get internet

if you call a speed of 28k-56k, and keeping your phone line busy while on line, internet SERVICE, I can sell ya the brooklyn bridge....

it's useless! and a fricking NIGHTMARE! :eek:

Nice idea. Bad timing. On account of that deficit and all. :cuckoo:
Not according to St Ronnie. :eusa_whistle:

"Reagan proved deficits don't matter."
Dick Cheney

'I don't worry about the deficit. It's big enough to take care of itself.'
Ronald Reagan

I wonder how many winter coats for children in those poor rural areas 800 million will buy?
Do you think those children prefer winter coats or faster internet?

No shortage of winder coats for poor rural kids in this neck of the woods, amigo.

In fact, a friend of mine is storing scores of them that were collected for poor kids.

They're being stored because they cannot find anybody who wants them.

Meanwhile kids herabouts who live less than a mile off US route one don't have access to broadband internet service.

So I think making broadband internet ubiquitous in the USA is a damned good investment.

We already have internet and I can't imagine anyone being more rural. And as the poorest county in Oregon, I think that makes us pretty damned poor, since Oregon is one of the most pathetic states.

Our kids always need coats; it's cold and brutal here in the winter, and there is no shopping unless you drive 90 miles (one way). But our community provides them.

this isn't about 'not' having it, this is about faster internet....if they have telephone lines, they can get internet

if you call a speed of 28k-56k, and keeping your phone line busy while on line, internet SERVICE, I can sell ya the brooklyn bridge....

Seriously? Even DSL is better than that and thats been around since Clinton days! And wherever there is a telephone pole Verizon is stringing its own fiber optic cable

You can get even wireless at a multiple of that speed today, do they have cell service there?

CaféAuLait;2468361 said:
Obama to announce $795 million in funding to expand broadband in poor, rural areas

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama on Friday will announce new government investments in 66 projects to expand broadband connections in rural and poor areas across the country.

Obama to announce funding to expand broadband in poor, rural areas - CNN.com

Yea, spend a billion dollars to run broadband to the shitholes of our country. Of course all the copper will in turn just get plundered by the thugs.

i highly doubt there are any internet services offered at those speeds, anywhere...the lowest you can get is 256k i believe and it doesn't interfere with the phone line

additionally, even the wealthiest used those speeds at once and my oh my, they survived...

if he wants just internet, fine....broadband is silly....and i still don't see how this helps the economy

$795 million is not even a billion and we piss a way that much every month on the Iraq Fiasco.

Seriously? Even DSL is better than that and thats been around since Clinton days! And wherever there is a telephone pole Verizon is stringing its own fiber optic cable

You can get even wireless at a multiple of that speed today, do they have cell service there?

our phone lines are too antiquated...NO DSL, NO CABLE TV, no cable BROADBAND...

NO cell phone service at my home either.....

while for decades, we all have been paying extra fees to the cable and phone companies for them to use to add service to rural areas...? Why haven't they just done it.....

I call once a month the phone company here to complain and they have told me I will never get it....!!!! jerks!

$795 million is not even a billion and we piss a way that much every month on the Iraq Fiasco.

Well the Hussein could just pull us out and nuke the country back the stone age. But all our Chimpanzee-in-Chief is capable of is following exactly what Bush did.

Nice idea. Bad timing. On account of that deficit and all. :cuckoo:

This isn't "new" spending. The link says it is being paid for with money from the stimulus.

how is this going to stimulate the economy?

To reiterate my previous post...

The government will PAY to get lines installed then PRIVATE INDUSTRY will reap the benefits thus driving up the number of employees those PRIVATE INDUSTRIES will need, and thus driving up their profits, too

Now the question is ...is this really the best use of the money?

That is certainly debatable.

I got no problem with this, dude when you're as flush with cash as we as a nation are, you just gotta get the latest bling. I don't know why he doesn't just buy every family in America a Apple ITouch. I mean seriously, That would stimulate the economy.

Hey Obama, pimp my ride.................

Forum List

Back